Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Mazziessc

Counterfeit Currency

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, MorayCupMan said:

Going to post office and just getting five two hundred euro notes...

This story reeks I can smell it from fleet street all the way up here...

My exact thought too. I feel nervous using a £50 never mind €200.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

One if the worst experience I've had was trying to bank my business takings. There was, I  dunno, £30 fake in a deposit. Spotted by the bank and confiscated it, wouldn't replace it... Worst than that they called the police to ask me questions about how I got it, I'm sure it was just questioning about the situation, not accusations, but felt like it. Not sure how I'm responsible if staff accidentally  take fakes. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, flumax said:

One if the worst experience I've had was trying to bank my business takings. There was, I  dunno, £30 fake in a deposit. Spotted by the bank and confiscated it, wouldn't replace it... Worst than that they called the police to ask me questions about how I got it, I'm sure it was just questioning about the situation, not accusations, but felt like it. Not sure how I'm responsible if staff accidentally  take fakes. 

 

I'd be a wee bit suspicious if somebody gave me a £30 note.;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, flumax said:

One if the worst experience I've had was trying to bank my business takings. There was, I  dunno, £30 fake in a deposit. Spotted by the bank and confiscated it, wouldn't replace it... Worst than that they called the police to ask me questions about how I got it, I'm sure it was just questioning about the situation, not accusations, but felt like it. Not sure how I'm responsible if staff accidentally  take fakes. 

 

that's very strange when i worked at RBS we woudl never have done that - we basically sealed the note, and sent to Head Office or sent to Bank of England - guess more of a volume of these now - but most of the fakes were real shit quality 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, euan2020 said:

that's very strange when i worked at RBS we woudl never have done that - we basically sealed the note, and sent to Head Office or sent to Bank of England - guess more of a volume of these now - but most of the fakes were real shit quality 

HSBC.  different policy or recent spate. Dunno. Nothing came of it other than I was down some money and stopped refusing BoE notes for a while before getting in  pens and lights (maybe that ages the issue) 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/08/2017 at 3:47 PM, aaid said:

This is only one side of the story and I'll be amazed if he was as reasonable as he was making out.

For example, if I was ever in that situation, the first thing I would do would be to offer some form of alternative payment.  I doubt any shopkeeper or restauranter would be straight onto the police.  I wonder if there was some form of argument that led to the police being called?

Then again it's really dodgy that the Post Office are just reselling currency without some form of checking.   However these days, the Post Office is more if a franchise operation and certainly not a "government department".

That's why I used 50's as an example, even 20's they would be much easier to acquire by accident through change from a bigger note. Taking these straight to the police, as much as its morally the right thing to do... why should we be the one to take the hit, I don’t have the cash to tear up notes! Never mind the accusation mentioned by others. Who's to say foreign police don't immediately bang you up for a few days?  

 In all the times I have bought Euros to take abroad I have been given one. This guy got 5?? Doesn't make sense. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Mazziessc said:

That's why I used 50's as an example, even 20's they would be much easier to acquire by accident through change from a bigger note. Taking these straight to the police, as much as its morally the right thing to do... why should we be the one to take the hit, I don’t have the cash to tear up notes! Never mind the accusation mentioned by others. Who's to say foreign police don't immediately bang you up for a few days?  

 

 In all the times I have bought Euros to take abroad I have been given one. This guy got 5?? Doesn't make sense. 

 

Even if you have been the victim and have received counterfeit currency completely innocently, if you then knowingly pass that on to someone else then you are just as culpable as the person who passed them on to you - and every other person in that chain.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, aaid said:

Even if you have been the victim and have received counterfeit currency completely innocently, if you then knowingly pass that on to someone else then you are just as culpable as the person who passed them on to you - and every other person in that chain.

Like I said, police/throw it away is the right thing to do...but... there will be instances for certain good people where that's not possible, what if its the only money you had in a foreign country? You just tear it up and go broke? No amount of honesty will get you the cash back. These things can go through circulation for a long time before getting found.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This thread has prompted me to do a wee bit of reading about this stuff. Not much, just a wee bit. Amongst other things, I have learnt that 200 euro notes are yellow. So, I now know that I have never even seen one, never mind had one in my possession. So, this guy not only gets five 200 euro notes but he get five fake ones? 

Around 15 million euros of fake notes get taken out of circulation each year. A proportion of them will be found in Greece, I would imagine. Do the Greek police put everybody, found passing fake notes, in jail? 

There is more to this story than that article is telling us. A decent journalist could have got a good story out of this, but there don't seem to be many decent journalists around these days.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote

 

Quote

He said: "I was sitting on a bit of sponge on a concrete floor and no one came near me for two days. My wife was only allowed in for 10 minutes. It was degrading. The place they put me in - you wouldn't put a dog in there " On his return to Coventry, Mr Nichols complained

 

:P

I had considered before that the easiest place to pass fake currency would be at a money exchange. As others have said, who has even seen a 200 euro note to decide its a fake. I'd fancy my chances at picking out a £10 or £20, but wouldn't have a clue with a decent Euro note.

Having said that, its pretty brazen to go in your local post office and exchange €1000+ (what's the chances this guy bought all of the fakes?). You'd think there would be some checks in place for cash transactions. Given the anti money laundering hoops folk have to jump through these days.

Edited by sbcmfc

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The threshold for anti-money laundering regulations to kick in for cash transactions is €10000.   

The more I think about this, the more it doesn't ring true.  For a start, who would actually accept €200 notes from a bank, post office or bureau de change knowing how much of a pain in the backside they would be to get changed.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The initial alarm bells are somebody changing €1000+ to sterling in Coventry, had they moored their yacht there, or gone an all inclusive holiday without realising it was all inclusive and brought back all their spending money?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just noticed that this happened in 2003.   Seems to be a few articles about it that point and then nothing since.  Sounds like it didn't go anywhere.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  



×
×
  • Create New...