The Last Man on the Moon - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

The Last Man on the Moon

At the time we were told that Apollo 11 travelled 237,000 miles (see 'Room 237') from earth and landed on the moon.

Collins stayed in 'Columbia' in lunar orbit while Armstrong and Aldrin took 'The Eagle' to the moon's surface.

22 hours later, legend has it that Aldrin got the LM to lift-off thanks to the help of a pen.

'The Eagle' accurately docks (at goodness knows what speed) with 'Columbia' (who was in it's 59th hour of orbiting) on the hidden side of the moon.

The last time men were allegedly on the moon was December 14th, 1972.

In the more than 44 years since then, NASA tells us that they haven't travelled any more than 400 miles from the earth's surface.

So, 237,000 (but later updated to 239,000) miles in 1969 using all the technology of a common battery operated calculator, to 400 miles today.

Watch the video below and think about the likelihood of the LM actually reuniting with the CSM alone ON THE VERY FIRST ATTEMPT  239,000 miles from earth in 1969.

It didn't happen.

Here Scotty we had a debate on this before and you said you believed it happened :(

There's plenty out there attempting to disprove it, and plenty more explaining why those people are wrong.

My argument would be if they did try and fake it, why did they do it 9 times? 

If you look at the film I posted there's actual film of lunar modules docking. That would've been impossible to fake in a studio in 1969. 2001 A Space Odyssey was state of the art then and it's pretty clear when you watch it that they are using plastic models.

NASA have travelled much much further since. Just not with humans.There's little point, it costs a fortune to launch men and keep them alive, easier to do with robotic probes.

1 hour ago, Shed_Tartan_Army_Yeah said:

And would have Russia not been monitoring this very closely with their own telescopes, radars etc and be quick to point out if anything didn't match the official NASA story?

Indeed. Famously Jodrell Bank tracked Apollo 11 down on to the surface. More here...

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Third-party_evidence_for_Apollo_Moon_landings

The first commercial moon missions are due to launch later this year, with a bonus cash incentive if they get close up footage of an Apollo landing site...

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Google_Lunar_X_Prize

Of course some people will still refuse to believe it happened no matter how much evidence is collected. Hey ho. 

6 hours ago, Toepoke said:

Here Scotty we had a debate on this before and you said you believed it happened :(

Do you have the post(s)?

I'd always been undecided.

I can remember saying that it was the only 'conspiracy' that I was 50/50 about as I believed that the 'science' was beyond me and that I didn't know what to make of the Van Allen radiation belts.

I previously didn't think that it mattered to me one way or another (but it does now).

I can also remember Alex Jones saying that he was told by a high ranking NASA individual that we did go to the moon, but the footage was faked.

(Is that what you are remembering?)

3 hours ago, Shed_Tartan_Army_Yeah said:

And would have Russia not been monitoring this very closely with their own telescopes, radars etc and be quick to point out if anything didn't match the official NASA story?

And what if the Cold War was just 'theatre'?

(Them against us.)

The moon doesn't even orbit the earth, loads of phenomenon we can't explain, we should go back.

2 hours ago, Toepoke said:

Indeed. Famously Jodrell Bank tracked Apollo 11 down on to the surface. More here...

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Third-party_evidence_for_Apollo_Moon_landings

Where does it say they tracked it to the surface on that link?

At Jodrell Bank Observatory in the UK, the telescope was used to observe the mission, as it was used years previously for Sputnik.[16] At the same time, Jodrell Bank scientists were tracking the unmanned Soviet spacecraft Luna 15, which was trying to land on the Moon.[17] In July 2009, Jodrell released some recordings they made.[18]

1 hour ago, phart said:

Where does it say they tracked it to the surface on that link?

At Jodrell Bank Observatory in the UK, the telescope was used to observe the mission, as it was used years previously for Sputnik.[16] At the same time, Jodrell Bank scientists were tracking the unmanned Soviet spacecraft Luna 15, which was trying to land on the Moon.[17] In July 2009, Jodrell released some recordings they made.[18]

Ha! Yes, it's a comprehensive wiki page, just not that bit :-)) 

This link is better....

http://www.jodrellbank.net/20-july-1969-lovell-telescope-tracked-eagle-lander-onto-surface-moon/

1 hour ago, Scotty CTA said:

Do you have the post(s)?

I'd always been undecided.

I can remember saying that it was the only 'conspiracy' that I was 50/50 about as I believed that the 'science' was beyond me and that I didn't know what to make of the Van Allen radiation belts.

I previously didn't think that it mattered to me one way or another (but it does now).

I can also remember Alex Jones saying that he was told by a high ranking NASA individual that we did go to the moon, but the footage was faked.

(Is that what you are remembering?)

It would've been on the old board, quite a few years ago.

I'Il respond further later when I've more time...

1 hour ago, Toepoke said:

Ha! Yes, it's a comprehensive wiki page, just not that bit :-)) 

This link is better....

http://www.jodrellbank.net/20-july-1969-lovell-telescope-tracked-eagle-lander-onto-surface-moon/

Hey at least i'm reading your links :D I checked the whole page, even searched key terms and couldn't see it. The other link is great though and has the Russian audio from telescope and everything, a way to browse through it.

Cheers I hadn't heard of this one, I knew it was tracked by amateurs and the like just not this one specifically or indeed it was tracking a Russian "moon crasher" as well, so cheers for the new info!!

Edited by phart

18 hours ago, Scotty CTA said:

At the time we were told that Apollo 11 travelled 237,000 miles (see 'Room 237') from earth and landed on the moon.

Collins stayed in 'Columbia' in lunar orbit while Armstrong and Aldrin took 'The Eagle' to the moon's surface.

22 hours later, legend has it that Aldrin got the LM to lift-off thanks to the help of a pen.

'The Eagle' accurately docks (at goodness knows what speed) with 'Columbia' (who was in it's 59th hour of orbiting) on the hidden side of the moon.

The last time men were allegedly on the moon was December 14th, 1972.

In the more than 44 years since then, NASA tells us that they haven't travelled any more than 400 miles from the earth's surface.

So, 237,000 (but later updated to 239,000) miles in 1969 using all the technology of a common battery operated calculator, to 400 miles today.

Watch the video below and think about the likelihood of the LM actually reuniting with the CSM alone ON THE VERY FIRST ATTEMPT  239,000 miles from earth in 1969.

It didn't happen.

Some classic launch failures there. Worth noting that almost all of them were from the very early days of rocket engineering. By the time the moon shots began there were very few (apart from the Soviet N1 disasters which put a halt to them attempting a manned mission). All 13 Saturn V rockets launched successfully.

Compared with the complexity and hazardousness of the Saturn V, the lunar module engine was like an outboard motor. It didn't need to be particularly powerful to take off from 1/6 gravity and no atmosphere.

Apollo 11 wasn't the first flight of the LM either, it had been rigourously tested on Apollo 5, 9 & 10.

Docking procedures in space had been practiced from the Gemini programme in the mid-60s. The first space stations were manned in the early 70s using similar spacecraft technology to allow astronauts and cosmonauts to dock with them.

Yes it's a shame that we've not been back in over 40 years but I guess priorities have been elsewhere, especially once the moon was proven to be of little strategic worth. Back in the 70s you could fly supersonic across the Atlantic. Sometimes our greatest achievements prove unsustainable.

9 hours ago, Scotty CTA said:

Copyright won't let it play over here.

Got another one?

Too bad, it's a good watch (produced by Jackie Stewart's son!). Could you get around it with a proxy server?

I've seen other clips of this footage where the narrator claims that it was Armstrong's quick reflexes that got him noticed and considered for Apollo 11.

Hello? He crashed the thing.

In fact, 3 of the 4 Lunar Landing Test Vehicles were crashed BUT when they got 239,000 miles from earth, everything worked fine... the very first time!

4 hours ago, Scotty CTA said:

I've seen other clips of this footage where the narrator claims that it was Armstrong's quick reflexes that got him noticed and considered for Apollo 11.

Hello? He crashed the thing.

In fact, 3 of the 4 Lunar Landing Test Vehicles were crashed BUT when they got 239,000 miles from earth, everything worked fine... the very first time!

I'm only responding from memory here so stand to be corrected but I thought only one of them crashed. And even if that number did crash, it would be more accurate to say they crashed 'eventually'. Armstrong completed numerous test flights in the landing simulators, at the end of which NASA had learned vast amounts about their performance, manoeuvrability, etc.

1 hour ago, Huddersfield said:

I'm only responding from memory here so stand to be corrected but I thought only one of them crashed. And even if that number did crash, it would be more accurate to say they crashed 'eventually'. Armstrong completed numerous test flights in the landing simulators, at the end of which NASA had learned vast amounts about their performance, manoeuvrability, etc.

You're pretty much right. Armstrong successfully landed the test vehicle over 50 times. The accident in Scotty's link was attributed to high winds, which wouldn't be a factor on the moon.

The actual lunar module was designed to be flown in space and would've been impossible to test fly on Earth.

6 hours ago, Scotty CTA said:

when they got 239,000 miles from earth, everything worked fine... the very first time!

You keep mentioning the distance travelled inferring that it made the operation of the equipment less feasible.

If you stick your car on a container ship and sail it to Australia there's a pretty good chance it'll start first time when it gets there.