Christ Sutton says... - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Christ Sutton says...

Bzzzz

There's calling as you see it and then there's confrontational for the sake of it.

He is the second one.  You only need to look at the times he shouts over the top of his fellow panellists and shakes his head dismissively.  Shows no respect.

11 minutes ago, TGP said:

There's calling as you see it and then there's confrontational for the sake of it.

He is the second one.  You only need to look at the times he shouts over the top of his fellow panellists and shakes his head dismissively.  Shows no respect.

When you have Craig Brown, McGhee etc etc spouting the usual pish it's quite nice to see Charlie Adam or Chris Sutton saying what the fans are thinking is my take on it.

23 minutes ago, TGP said:

I agree I don't like the rent-a-quote brigade but I like a certain respect from people.

Yeah agreed Sutton says things for effect but I think his Scotland and Strachan comments are bang on.

A good one today claiming that hardly any of the N Ireland squad would get into the Scotland squad yet they achieve more than we do due to poor performances and bad management from Scotland. 

Accurate.

12 hours ago, ProudScot said:

About certain things.

His Scotland comments are bang on though, sadly 

Let's have a look:

"Nobody was expecting Scotland to win Group F but they should be right in the mix for second place"
And we're 1 point off 2nd. Disaster!

"their whole campaign has been disappointing"
err.. the last 2 games, aye. Not sure 5-1 over malta is disappointing. "whole campaign" is just his way of trying to make it sound more dramatic.

"Gordon's negative body language and responses in interviews"
mud slinging cos he can be cantankerous in interviews when asked stupid questions. The idea that his interviews make any real difference to the match day performance is silly. He spends a week with the squad, talking to them all the time, knows most of them well and has done for years. The relationships and expectation between him and the players are well established. Asking who the hell Rodney is isn't going to affect it in the slightest.

"he has given Scottish football a bit of a kicking at times with some of his recent comments"
An entirely deserved kicking, no? We can barely produce a centerback from the whole country. We were having to play Hutton for years because there was no one challenging. Our youth players with promise too often fall by the wayside. Strachan's not wrong about Scottish football having problems and needing to sort itself out, and who's in a better position to try and give it a kick than the national manager?

"scared footballers - if I was part of his squad then I would not be overly impressed "
Like I said his relationship with the players seems fine, 98% of them have known him for years. I've no doubt he'd said the same thing in the dressing room when we played Italy, that we musn't play scared football. But then we did. that it's morphed into this "nation of scared footballers" quote (which was never said) is unfortunate, but it's the fault of the press (like Sutton), not of strachan. His point was valid then and it's valid tonight. We mustn't be scared tonight.

"Strachan's biggest problem, though, is how well Wales, Northern Ireland and the Republic of Ireland did"
This bit is the only halfway thru part of it. The success of the other home nations makes us look worse. Rather than it being seen as them doing fantastically and vastly exceeding their abilities (Wales in the semis!?) it's seem by some of our more negative fans as just Scottish failure. It's not "why are they doing so well?" it's "why are we so bad?" even tho we came out the better in the two games against ireland in the last qualifying. It's a mentality problem with some of the fans.

"Gordon has majorly underachieved in this campaign"
maybe. but so has everyone else in the group. it's another of those odd groups where people take points off each other unexpectedly. we've played poorly the last two games. that's the size of it. it's not a campaign yet, it's 2 games. we were terrible agaisnt slovakia, no question. but a good performance tonight, dare i say and win and we're in an excellent position for rest of the matches.

We can very much still qualify. Tonight is a massive game, but lets go into it hoping for the best and not listening to idiots like Sutton who just want their names in lights.

2 minutes ago, andyD said:

Let's have a look:

"Nobody was expecting Scotland to win Group F but they should be right in the mix for second place"
And we're 1 point off 2nd. Disaster!

"their whole campaign has been disappointing"
err.. the last 2 games, aye. Not sure 5-1 over malta is disappointing. "whole campaign" is just his way of trying to make it sound more dramatic.

"Gordon's negative body language and responses in interviews"
mud slinging cos he can be cantankerous in interviews when asked stupid questions. The idea that his interviews make any real difference to the match day performance is silly. He spends a week with the squad, talking to them all the time, knows most of them well and has done for years. The relationships and expectation between him and the players are well established. Asking who the hell Rodney is isn't going to affect it in the slightest.

"he has given Scottish football a bit of a kicking at times with some of his recent comments"
An entirely deserved kicking, no? We can barely produce a centerback from the whole country. We were having to play Hutton for years because there was no one challenging. Our youth players with promise too often fall by the wayside. Strachan's not wrong about Scottish football having problems and needing to sort itself out, and who's in a better position to try and give it a kick than the national manager?

"scared footballers - if I was part of his squad then I would not be overly impressed "
Like I said his relationship with the players seems fine, 98% of them have known him for years. I've no doubt he'd said the same thing in the dressing room when we played Italy, that we musn't play scared football. But then we did. that it's morphed into this "nation of scared footballers" quote (which was never said) is unfortunate, but it's the fault of the press (like Sutton), not of strachan. His point was valid then and it's valid tonight. We mustn't be scared tonight.

"Strachan's biggest problem, though, is how well Wales, Northern Ireland and the Republic of Ireland did"
This bit is the only halfway thru part of it. The success of the other home nations makes us look worse. Rather than it being seen as them doing fantastically and vastly exceeding their abilities (Wales in the semis!?) it's seem by some of our more negative fans as just Scottish failure. It's not "why are they doing so well?" it's "why are we so bad?" even tho we came out the better in the two games against ireland in the last qualifying. It's a mentality problem with some of the fans.

"Gordon has majorly underachieved in this campaign"
maybe. but so has everyone else in the group. it's another of those odd groups where people take points off each other unexpectedly. we've played poorly the last two games. that's the size of it. it's not a campaign yet, it's 2 games. we were terrible agaisnt slovakia, no question. but a good performance tonight, dare i say and win and we're in an excellent position for rest of the matches.

We can very much still qualify. Tonight is a massive game, but lets go into it hoping for the best and not listening to idiots like Sutton who just want their names in lights.

I wish I could share your false optimism but I don't sorry.

Yes we're 1 point off second but come on now! After we get pumped tonight the table will be embarrassing given the easy start we had and how we messed it up.

All the Scottish positivity and belief in the national side has gone and won't be found again till we have a new manager and a fresh start with more positive tactics and some deadwood cleared out.

It depends how we play for me.

Obviously i want a win, that'd be fantastic and put us top of the group.
But if we lose and play well we'll be 4 points behind Slovenia, still to play them twice.

If we play badly and lose 3-0 then aye, Strachan's gone and it's back to the drawing board.

We've been poor the last two games, but we know these players are capable of better.. because have played better under Strachan.

On 12/11/2016 at 10:05 AM, wembley67lisbon said:

Sutton generally speaks the truth, thats why folk don't like him.

This line has been trotted out again and again online but it's utter nonsense. he's another Jim Traynor or a lesser Adrian Durham, he does it for effect.