Rangers are Rocking; Scottys Financial insight inside. - Page 432 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Rangers are Rocking; Scottys Financial insight inside.

Speirs  

64 members have voted

1. 1. Was Speirs talking the truth or lying

• Yes
    • No

This poll is closed to new votes

Guest BlueGaz
9 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

In all honesty I think Ormond is right, people label our game as shite because its easier to do that or because their team is not as good as it used to be.

He isn't right.  In this particular case he is calling out all 'huns' calling Scottish football a low quality because Rangers aren't as good as what they previously were.  That is utter nonsense.  I have never thought of Scottish football as a quality football (generally speaking - we have had 1 or 2 teams who have had their moment on occassion in Europe).

I agree with you partly, I don't like watching Serie A, La Liga and a few others either because I get bored too, but you can't deny the quality of football is a lot better than ours.  But putting the type of football I like to watch to one side, in terms of quality, England, France, Germany, Spain, Italy, and some others are of a higher quality than we get to watch week in week out.

Bar Celtic, ours is a competitive league now, which makes it quite exciting, and I am enjoying it, but not sure how many games you have been to this year, but i go to football every week, rangers and others when i dont get an away ticket, and the quality is more often than not terrible.  

2 minutes ago, BlueGaz said:

He isn't right.  In this particular case he is calling out all 'huns' calling Scottish football a low quality because Rangers aren't as good as what they previously were.  That is utter nonsense.  I have never thought of Scottish football as a quality football (generally speaking - we have had 1 or 2 teams who have had their moment on occassion in Europe).

I agree with you partly, I don't like watching Serie A, La Liga and a few others either because I get bored too, but you can't deny the quality of football is a lot better than ours.  But putting the type of football I like to watch to one side, in terms of quality, England, France, Germany, Spain, Italy, and some others are of a higher quality than we get to watch week in week out.

Bar Celtic, ours is a competitive league now, which makes it quite exciting, and I am enjoying it, but not sure how many games you have been to this year, but i go to football every week, rangers and others when i dont get an away ticket, and the quality is more often than not terrible.  

there are more gifted and technically better players in France, Italy, Germany, England and Spain. This will automatically mean the games are better in terms of player quality but despite that quality of player, the games are often shite. 

So what makes our game shite? is it the lack of overpaid players? What I think you mean is our teams and players are not as good as those leagues mentioned. It doesn't mean football in Scotland is shite.

Guest BlueGaz
4 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

there are more gifted and technically better players in France, Italy, Germany, England and Spain. This will automatically mean the games are better in terms of player quality but despite that quality of player, the games are often shite. 

So what makes our game shite? is it the lack of overpaid players? What I think you mean is our teams and players are not as good as those leagues mentioned. It doesn't mean football in Scotland is shite.

I can go with that.

Using us as an example, in 'most' of our games we have been [sometimes] unbearably shite, really poor quality of football, yet we are still sitting near top of league at the moment.  IMO, that isn't possible if there is decent quality of football being played by all the other teams.  If that decent football was there, we would have been buried in far more games than we have been.

I have already backed down on using the word shite and called it low quality.  I still stand by that.  Of course, many will have different opinions :ok:

Edited by BlueGaz

Just now, BlueGaz said:

I can go with that.

Using us as an example, in 'most' of our games we have been [sometimes] unbearably shite, really poor quality of football, yet we are still sitting near top of league at the moment.  IMO, that isn't possible if there is decent quality of football being played by all the other teams.  

I have already backed down on using the word shite and called it low quality.  I still stand by that.  Of course, many will have different opinions :ok:

I can't say I ever concern myself with the quality of the football, I'm not sure if this is a relatively new obsession among football fans

Guest BlueGaz
1 minute ago, vanderark14 said:

I can't say I ever concern myself with the quality of the football, I'm not sure if this is a relatively new obsession among football fans

Like I say, I am enjoying it at the moment, the competitiveness - and I'm not concerned about it either, but I stand by it being very low quality.

The biggest problem is that English Premier League football is constantly pumped in to homes in Scotland. So this is the barometer folk often use when assessing the quality of the football up here. That is simply unfair. The EPL is, unquestionably, one of the highest quality leagues in Europe. 

In comparison to that, our game may well be "shite". However, i'd say that the vast majority of leagues around Europe are "shite" using that yardstick. 

55 minutes ago, Parklife said:

The biggest problem is that English Premier League football is constantly pumped in to homes in Scotland. So this is the barometer folk often use when assessing the quality of the football up here. That is simply unfair. The EPL is, unquestionably, one of the highest quality leagues in Europe. 

In comparison to that, our game may well be "shite". However, i'd say that the vast majority of leagues around Europe are "shite" using that yardstick. 

If the Huns were at the top of the league right now, I guarantee that our game wouldn’t be shite. :lol:

16 minutes ago, Ormond said:

If the Huns were at the top of the league right now, I guarantee that our game wouldn’t be shite. :lol:

I agree 100%. Very few Huns would be slagging off Scottish football if their team was dominating. However they can call it shite the now as it allows them to belittle and diminish everything Celtic do.  

6 minutes ago, Parklife said:

I agree 100%. Very few Huns would be slagging off Scottish football if their team was dominating. However they can call it shite the now as it allows them to belittle and diminish everything Celtic do.  

It’s part of the reason I dislike Rangers a lot more than Celtic. Huns cannot accept being second best gracefully. If Saints got a result against either of the Old-Firm in Perth I always found that Tims would be more gracious in defeat whereas Huns would be seething at you coming out of the ground. They’re a shower of cunts who are hated for a reason. Did I ever mention that I hate the bastards? :lol:

16 minutes ago, Parklife said:

Got it in one. 

Guest BlueGaz
50 minutes ago, Ormond said:

I guarantee they might think differently about their own team, but it wouldn't change the standard across the board.  If we were top of the league right now, that would make the standard even worse than being discussed.

Guest BlueGaz
1 hour ago, Parklife said:

I agree with you.  

However the standard you and anyone else see up here is subjective. I have rarely watched a good standard of football this year and last.  Exciting competitive games on occasion, but not often a good standard.  Both on tele and live.  I would lean towards it being more consistently low quality than the other way around.

15 minutes ago, BlueGaz said:

I guarantee they might think differently about their own team, but it wouldn't change the standard across the board.  If we were top of the league right now, that would make the standard even worse than being discussed.

I think if Rangers were top you (collectively) wouldn’t really give a shit about the state of the rest of Scottish football.

I don’t remember a lot of concerns during the 90s or 00s.

:lol:

For what it’s worth I think overall the standard has consistently dropped since the mid 90s when everyone was bankrupting themselves to try and keep up with Rangers who ironically enough were bankrupting themselves too, we just didn’t realise.

Year on year playing budgets and squad sizes are cut and cut, which inevetibaly is going to reduce the quality of player. You could make a case that As squad sizes reduce their may be better players playing lower down the league rather than in bloated reserve squads I suppose?

Guest BlueGaz
13 minutes ago, sbcmfc said:

I think if Rangers were top you (collectively) wouldn’t really give a shit about the state of the rest of Scottish football.

I don’t remember a lot of concerns during the 90s or 00s.

:lol:

For what it’s worth I think overall the standard has consistently dropped since the mid 90s when everyone was bankrupting themselves to try and keep up with Rangers who ironically enough were bankrupting themselves too, we just didn’t realise.

Year on year playing budgets and squad sizes are cut and cut, which inevetibaly is going to reduce the quality of player. You could make a case that As squad sizes reduce their may be better players playing lower down the league rather than in bloated reserve squads I suppose?

I don't remember any concerns then either.  I don't have concerns now either, as I said, it is what it is, enjoy the competitiveness of the league, or don't bother going - easy choice.  All I did was say it was a shite standard, then change that to low quality.  I don't care or know what the majority of Rangers fans think, you need to speak to Ormond on that front, he knows.  

I would be interested to hear from any Scottish football fans who go to the games each week because they love to watch the quality on display.

Edited by BlueGaz

21 minutes ago, BlueGaz said:

I would be interested to hear from any Scottish football fans who go to the games each week because they love to watch the quality on display.

Every single week home and most aways I watched Saints in the flesh. As a young boy then as a paying adult. I never went because it was good or it was shite. I went because Saints were my team. My hometown. The quality made it more/less entertaining obviously but I went because of my love of Saints. 

13 minutes ago, Ormond said:

Every single week home and most aways I watched Saints in the flesh. As a young boy then as a paying adult. I never went because it was good or it was shite. I went because Saints were my team. My hometown. The quality made it more/less entertaining obviously but I went because of my love of Saints. 

Indeed. Doubt many folk would go to football every week, in any country, if they weren't emotionally invested in it. 

1 hour ago, Parklife said:

Indeed. Doubt many folk would go to football every week, in any country, if they weren't emotionally invested in it. 

I've never watched a game in South Africa - CPT Stadium is around 3 km away, and only around 5 quid a game - as you said no interest

13 minutes ago, euan2020 said:

I've never watched a game in South Africa - CPT Stadium is around 3 km away, and only around 5 quid a game - as you said no interest

How popular is football in SA nowadays? I wanted to go to a game when I was there 15 years ago, but was basically told I couldn’t go as I was the wrong colour and it wouldn’t be very safe. 

Guest BlueGaz
1 hour ago, Ormond said:

Which is my point. No one goes to see quality and haven’t done for some time, because there isn’t any, or it’s rare at best.  Regardless of where you are in league compared to ten years ago.

Sometimes you get treated, but not often. 

19 minutes ago, euan2020 said:

I'd probably go but more for the cultural experience than anything else. I try and cram a fitbaw match in to every holiday I go on, much to the mrs' delight... :lol: 

45 minutes ago, dandydunn said:

How popular is football in SA nowadays? I wanted to go to a game when I was there 15 years ago, but was basically told I couldn’t go as I was the wrong colour and it wouldn’t be very safe. 

so so popular - only really black south africans go, although that is a bit generalistic  - I'm never bothered by crowds when driving past when game is on 

quality looks crap on TV, so i never showed interest

https://www.transfermarkt.com/absa-premiership/besucherzahlen/wettbewerb/SFA1

really less than SPL attendances with 10 times population

1 hour ago, euan2020 said:

I'm the same with the MLS. I have absolutely no desire to go to watch a club I'm not interested in even though Fire are on my doorstep. I went to one fitba' game here and it was a USA game against Costa Rica at Soldier Field but only as my Brother-In-Law was over and he wanted to see if the Hearts player came on for the Yanks. I go to see the Cubs in the MLB but obviously because there is no Scottish equivalent.

Edited by Ormond

1 hour ago, Ormond said:

I'm the same with the MLS. I have absolutely no desire to go to watch a club I'm not interested in even though Fire are on my doorstep. I went to one fitba' game here and it was a USA game against Costa Rica at Soldier Field but only as my Brother-In-Law was over and he wanted to see if the Hearts player came on for the Yanks. I go to see the Cubs in the MLB but obviously because there is no Scottish equivalent.

Didn’t you play rounders at school like?

Its exactly the fucking same. 

14 hours ago, Parklife said:

Agree with this, I've been down here two years now. I thought I would go to a few games when I moved, not the top leagues but I thought I'd go see some lower league and conference matches. I've only been to see Southampton twice and Arsenal twice (freebie with work). I wouldn't pay those prices to watch Arsenal. I've been invited to Reading, West Ham, Spurs, Bournemouth and declined them all. I have agreed to go watch Maidenhead this season:huh: