Barry ferguson - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Barry ferguson

Englandfan1990

Just been reading the article about Barry ferguson slating the English for being arrogant because they didn't even know about the Scott brown retirement situation. As an England fan that supports all British teams, I cannot relate to this but just wanted to hear other people's opinions on this matter with the match fast approaching. Is it arrogant of English fans to not have a clue what happens in Scottish football? Or is it a chip on shoulder mentality from Barry ferguson? I have to say, I've been on many England fan forums and honestly do not see much discussion about the Scotland match or the Scott brown situation. They seem to be more interested in the Spain match.

Edited by Englandfan1990

I think you answered your own question there...

44 minutes ago, Englandfan1990 said:

I've been on many England fan forums and honestly do not see much discussion about the Scotland match or the Scott brown situation. They seem to be more interested in the Spain match.

There is no doubt Scotland v Eng is a bigger event for Scotland fans than it is for England fans..I think the media plays a huge part in the reason we know more about you's than you about us..There's always been that media bias and I think that what's Barry Ferg is touching on.

So to answer your question a bit of both really..!

The English especially in the media certainly have a much higher opinion of themselves than anyone else does, as austroschotte says it probably is a much bigger game for us nowadays. I have little interest in the English leagus, apart from doing a fixed odds, so I wouldn't really expect the English to pay much attention to our football.Hope you enjoy the banter next week but not the match.

3 hours ago, Englandfan1990 said:

Just been reading the article about Barry ferguson slating the English for being arrogant because they didn't even know about the Scott brown retirement situation. As an England fan that supports all British teams, I cannot relate to this but just wanted to hear other people's opinions on this matter with the match fast approaching. Is it arrogant of English fans to not have a clue what happens in Scottish football? Or is it a chip on shoulder mentality from Barry ferguson? I have to say, I've been on many England fan forums and honestly do not see much discussion about the Scotland match or the Scott brown situation. They seem to be more interested in the Spain match.

I hope we hammer you and your arrogant lot.

You know fine well that England are interested more in the Scotland match - The Spain game isn't anywhere near a sell out. The Scotland game took minutes.

37 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

I don't think it's arrogance. It's like expecting Scotland fans to know whether Michael Mifsud is still playing or not. Some football fans will know, but most won't, I would guess.

If we were playing a smaller nation next week. Let's say Northern Ireland. Would we know if Steven Davis had retired and then came out of retirement. Yes we would.

Englands media never talk about their opposition - it's always England England England. 

It would be so sweet to silence them. Thing is they forget all their failures and by the next match they're ready for a World Cup win again. It's somewhere between baffling and sickening.

A mate of mine down here used to work on a farm a number of years back and drive an old Massey Ferguson,  he said in the pub one night  -   "that Ferguson is pain, it is slow and keeps drifting side ways"  -  i said just call it Barry !!!

After a few weeks the farmer said why do you call the tractor Barry , my mate replied - its named after a Scottish footballer called Barry Ferguson !

Farmer - Never heard of him !!

3 minutes ago, noctonjock said:

I find it hard to believe that the English are more interested in a meaningless friendly than a World Cup Qualifier where there's points at stake . Its not as if there running away with the group like their last campaign . I hope this over arrogance comes back to bite them

Agree. He's talking garbage.

Edited by KennyMiller

1 hour ago, noctonjock said:

I find it hard to believe that the English are more interested in a meaningless friendly than a World Cup Qualifier where there's points at stake . Its not as if there running away with the group like their last campaign . I hope this over arrogance comes back to bite them

I don't think its arrogance on behalf of the English,  they have lost interest in there national team in the same way as a lot of Scotland fans have.

England have failed at tournament after tournament and there fans now realise that all the hype pumped up by the press is b******t , they have overpaid players in an overrated league that is dominated by foreign players and foreign managers

I still hope we pump them though !!!! 

I think it's a Scottish thing where we think we are more important to others than we actually are.  Why on Earth would anyone in England give a about Scottish football?  I actually think it's arrogance on our part to think they'd think about us.  Do we care about ROI or Welsh football?!   

A week of bollocks in the papers about their arrogance when in reality most of their support and players seem to accept they are really average (England). 

We are basically what Wales were, when we were fairly decent as in qualifying for things. So I doubt many English supporters will know : if Brown has retired or not. Maybe some will still think Ferguson plays. 

We are not a laughing stock, but we are not respected either much like Northern Ireland, Israel, Latvia, (I'd have said Slovenia and I'd have put us ahead of Lithuania but that seems unfair considering both have started the group well, especially Lithuania. We don't know many of their players, and would many Scots know if Roy Carroll still plays? We are an irrelevance.

We are desperate. The Scottish media especially the Record will paint this game up as a huge match, auld rivals, no doubt we'll get a Butcher, Trevor Steven, Chris Sutton interview. The final battle cry before the game on Friday and then it'll be over and if we're lucky we'll lose 2-0. Just like the Slovak coach who was under real pressure, the doubt from some English fans about Southgate will be lifted -for now and until they meet a harder game- and we'll go on our way looking at fourth place being a good finish!

Hope to christ I'm wrong on Friday, but seen it far too much and that Slovak performance was one of the worst I've ever seen. Especially as it was against a team low on confidence, and that was after the previous disaster of Lithuania at Hampden.

Edited by weekevie04

In all honesty, i think this is the best chance in years Scotland have of beating England. I hope I'm wrong but the media will hype us up as usual when in reality, majority of our fans have pretty much lost faith. Confidence in the players is at an all time low. Looking forward to the game though whatever the outcome. 

Also, there is nothing wrong with supporting all British teams, especially when you have relatives from all four corners of the island.

4 minutes ago, kumnio said:

Agree totally with radian and weekevie above, why should anyone be interested in our team. Englandfan, not a hope in hell we will win at Wembleyit will be your easiest game of the group most likely.

I hope you're right. Game will be very close either way. An auld enemy match has hardly ever been won by anymore then a one goal margin 

1 hour ago, Englandfan1990 said:

In all honesty, i think this is the best chance in years Scotland have of beating England. I hope I'm wrong but the media will hype us up as usual when in reality, majority of our fans have pretty much lost faith. Confidence in the players is at an all time low. Looking forward to the game though whatever the outcome. 

Also, there is nothing wrong with supporting all British teams, especially when you have relatives from all four corners of the island.

You haven't been watching Scotland much recently, have you?  We really are shit. You could put out your U21s and still give us a good whumpin'. I wouldn't  fancy our chances against your womens team at the moment.

From watching and listening to English football pundits, they know very little about anything that happens outside their borders. Whether that ignorance is down to arrogance or not, i don't know. People who're paid to know about and comment on football don't know anything about players or teams outside England. The most obvious example i can think of being the fact no one seemed to know anything about James Rodriguez before the 2014 World Cup; sums them up.