Motherwell v Aberdeen - Page 3 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

14 hours ago, Angus_Young said:

I'm loathe to back Rossy up, but I think he is being taken too literally on this subject. 

His point, I think, is that there isn't a massive difference in resources, squad size, fan Base, income, money spent etc relative to what Celtic have over everyone else. Therfore, whilst better teams will finish higher over a season, it's not a huge surprise when Motherwell or ICT beat Aberdeen in a one off game.  It IS a surprise when Celtic lose games, because of the resources available. Its the same situation with Saints turning over Hearts. Yes a bit of a surprise but hardly ground breaking stuff. 

That's how I read it anyway  and tbh I would probably agree. Aberdeen's REAL bottle crash was failing to take a risk and invest in the squad imo. 

I agree once you revise what he said, then it says something different.

14 hours ago, AberdeenAngus said:

I think that's all pretty fair comment.

Maybe your last sentence is debatable in that taking risk and investing has led to some pretty serious consequences for some teams in recent years. I think we have to trust the that club did all that they could do to strengthen - we had at least 2 different bids of £200k turned down for players in January. 

My main issue is that I don't think the manager used the budget he did spend to the best effect. By that I mean too many midfielders - I'd have sold/loaned a couple of players to have brought in others to give the squad a better balance.

Suspect its an ongoing process to get the squad he really wants. I think we'll definitely need to come out the summer recognisably stronger if we want to push on and be more competitive.

Celtic won't win all of their remaining games, however, we aren't taking 21 points from our last 7 games either so the gap created on Saturday will be enough for them to retain. Accordingly, and unfortunately, thoughts are turning to next season.  It's a big summer for AFC Management and Board.  Would be good to get a couple of folks in smartish for a change (in time for Europe).  Appreciate that we are fairly low down the food chain and have to wait for others to conclude deals before we can start identifying reasonable targets - but surely out first approach is just to bleed ICT dry (Tansay and Draper (who I can't stand but would take) for a start).  That would be satisfying!  If Andrew Shinnie has anything like the heart of his brother, he would surely represent an excellent target.  I can also, without any real difficulty, think of a few players we should be offloading.

14 minutes ago, SMcoolJ said:

Celtic won't win all of their remaining games, however, we aren't taking 21 points from our last 7 games either so the gap created on Saturday will be enough for them to retain. Accordingly, and unfortunately, thoughts are turning to next season.  It's a big summer for AFC Management and Board.  Would be good to get a couple of folks in smartish for a change (in time for Europe).  Appreciate that we are fairly low down the food chain and have to wait for others to conclude deals before we can start identifying reasonable targets - but surely out first approach is just to bleed ICT dry (Tansay and Draper (who I can't stand but would take) for a start).  That would be satisfying!  If Andrew Shinnie has anything like the heart of his brother, he would surely represent an excellent target.  I can also, without any real difficulty, think of a few players we should be offloading.

7 minutes ago, Angus_Young said:

No one from Hibs on the radar?  I think they are in danger of losing one or two if they don't go up. Hardly takes Columbo to work that out I know. 

I imagine McGinn is the obvious target.  He would probably be a good fit for us.  Suspect he will go for more than Aberdeen can afford to pay though.  Can't think of anyone else I'd really want.

37 minutes ago, SMcoolJ said:

Number 1 target simply has to be a competent goalie. I don't think it's stretching it to say that if we'd kept Ward (fvck you Jurgen Klopp), we'd be 6 points better off right now. 

After that i'd be looking for a replacement for Logan and then a goalscoring midfielder. We're way too reliant on Rooney to get goals. We need someone who'll get beyond the striker from midfield and get 15 goals a season. That simply isn't going to be McLean unfortunately. 

If McInnes isn't trusting Shankland next year (i doubt he will), we'll also need another forward who can get goals. 

It's a big summer for the board and McInnes.