Still listening to.. - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Still listening to..

Went to see Runrig at Cambridge Corn Exchange on Saturday.  Suddenly hit me that first time I saw them was at His Majesty's Theatre as part of Aberdeen folk festival 33 years ago.  Just wondering what others peoples experienes are in terms of first seeing a band/artist and how many years ago they first went to see them.  I'm sure 33 years is pretty beatable!

22 minutes ago, Hertsscot said:

Went to see Runrig at Cambridge Corn Exchange on Saturday.  Suddenly hit me that first time I saw them was at His Majesty's Theatre as part of Aberdeen folk festival 33 years ago.  Just wondering what others peoples experienes are in terms of first seeing a band/artist and how many years ago they first went to see them.  I'm sure 33 years is pretty beatable!

In July 1982, I went to see the Rolling Stones in Leeds.  Only found out a couple of weeks ago that it had been released as a DVD so bought it straightaway.  Looking forwards to watching it to see if I can remember anything about it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Live_at_Leeds_(The_Rolling_Stones_album)

Iron Maiden at Huddersfield Polytechnic in 1980, then at Newcastle Arena in 2006 (just short of 26 years apart) as a birthday present for my lad. There was the awful realisation that most of the people queuing weren't even born the first time I saw them.

Also saw Springsteen at Wembley Stadium in 1985 & Hampden in 2009. I saw UFO last summer but I missed the lads trip to see them in Manchester back in 1980/81 time, one Friday night because there was a Town away trip the day after & I couldn't afford both, so a near miss.

8 minutes ago, scottincarlisle said:

The Alarm at Barrowlands was the first gig I went to. Think it was 1985. Never seen them since though. 

Funnily enough they're playing Glasgow on Saturday night supporting the stranglers cannae go though got other stuff on 

1) The Who at the Apollo on 15th October 1975.

<17 times and 39 years later>

The Who at the Hydro on 30th November 2014.

2) Eric Clapton at the Apollo on 10th August 1976.

Eric Clapton at the Hydro on 21st June 2014.

3) Jackson Browne at the Apollo on 4th December 1976.

Jackson Browne at the Royal Concert Hall on 21st November 2014.

As mentioned in another thread, the relative cost of tickets across the ages is remarkable.

First gig I went to was in 1983 and I actually saw Runrig support Big Country so they were the were the first band I ever seen live.They were pure shite.I'd rather get arse cancer than have to watch them play live again.

Band I've seen the most is Primal Scream

I still go and see loads of bands I was into back in the late 70s/80s. Over the next few months I'll be going to see 999, Lurkers, Chelsea, Penertation, Sham 69, UK Subs, Angelic Upstarts, SLF, Buzzcocks, Damned, Adicts, Slaughter and the Dogs, Vibrators, Stone Roses and even good old Nazareth.

On 29/02/2016 at 9:02 PM, bonzo said:

Still go to see quite a few bands that I first seen in the early 80s the selector, bad manners, the Specials Billy Bragg but the band I've seen most since 82 is the alarm 

I've seen the Alarm a few times over the years as well, again another band I would have seen for the first time round about 83, think there was a venue called Ritzys in Aberdeen.  Always better as a live band than on vinyl/tape/CD.