M8 At Rush Hour - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

How bad is it at 6pm on Fridays? I'm off to central Glasgow for Celtic Connections tomorrow and working out the best way to get there from Midlothian. Should be an easy hour's drive on the way back but not having the pleasure of commuting on the A720 or M8 I've no idea how bad they are.

Should be alright by 6pm on a Friday if coming from Edinburgh, as usually by that stage its just the tail end you are getting, with it crawling along the run in to crossing the Kingston Bridge.

Work used to send me through to Edinburgh from time to time for a full year on Fridays, and if I was passing through between 4 and 5pm it was just stop-start-stop-start.... anything after 5:45pm and it was crawling along.... after 6pm it was as good as straight through.

Agree with the above comment, opposite direction its worse.

Thanks, will probably leave 17:45 then for a 19:30 gig. Hopefully time for a swift pre-show hauf. The other option I considered is to drop the car off at Linlithgow or Croy and train it in. Cannae believe the prices on the train though!

By that time you will certainly get a clear run up to a city center turn off.

Edited by wanderer

Thanks, will probably leave 17:45 then for a 19:30 gig. Hopefully time for a swift pre-show hauf. The other option I considered is to drop the car off at Linlithgow or Croy and train it in. Cannae believe the prices on the train though!

I'll watch your car for £50

You're alright, the gig's no at Ibrox ;)

Last time I drove to Hampden the road was unbelieveable, missed the start of the game, so didn't want to underestimate the traffic again.

The traffic in and out of hampden for the Germany and Poland games was dreadful! Probably having to go on the M73 and m74 with all the traffic coming from the north clashing with the tail end of the rush hour, and all the roadworks on the 73/74 created a bit of a nightmare?

There are roadworks and average speed cameras from about eurocentral (which is one of the slow bits anyway) to near Glasgow fort.

Theoretically it shouldn't slow you down to much at 630, as I said earlier, with the caveat that there's not been an accident....

Public transport use down.

Car use up.

No wonder roads are busier. The M8 is a state. Sometimes down to 2 lanes. No lit up so dangerous at night. Central Scotland should be a connected business hub. Cities are wealth generators.

For all my moaning I think the choos are generally all right (apart from occasional reliability problems) - I'm only £2.30 return into the city centre from the Southside - the bus is £3.20 return and takes about three times as long

bit like airports, if you can get a point to point service that's suits you, the service is wonderful.

For all my moaning I think the choos are generally all right (apart from occasional reliability problems) - I'm only £2.30 return into the city centre from the Southside - the bus is £3.20 return and takes about three times as long

I'm £1.90 into Central. Must be quite near you.