Guide To Central Prague - Czech Republic v Scotland - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Guide To Central Prague

wubbs

Having lived in the Czech Republic for three years I've written this brief guide to central Prague;

I don't live in Prague, but have been there many times, including the friendly in 2008 and the qualifier in 2010. I've covered the main tourist sites, as well as some decent pubs and restaurants near the Old Town Square.

Any questions, just ask :)

Just to add to what Wubbs has shared, travel to/from the airport:

By public transport, there are two routes. Both take around one hour:
Route 1: Bus 119 from all terminals at Prague Airport to Nádraží Veleslavín metro station (line A). Then the metro to your destination in the city.
Route 2: Bus 100 from all terminals at Prague Airport to Zlicin metro station (line C ). Then the metro to your destination in the city.
Fare: 32czk if you board the bus with a ticket ; 40czk if you buy a ticket onboard the bus (exact change required).
If you're there longer than a day or so, there are options of:
1-Day Pass (24 hours) at 110czk
or
a 3-Day Pass (72 hours) at 310czk
All tickets are on sale at the Public Transport Information desk at the airport - once you come through to the public side of arrivals, its on your right hand side.
The travel ticket needs to be validated at the start of use but once done, you don’t need to again
I'm sure there will be the 'we travel without a ticket and I've never been asked etc etc' comments but the fine is far higher than the ticket - we were there the weekend before Christmas and bought the 3 day ticket .............. only time we were asked was on the return tot he airport.
You're call :wave:
Edited by DeeRus

Just to add to what Wubbs has shared, travel to/from the airport:

By public transport, there are two routes. Both take around one hour:

There's a third route with the Airport Express Bus. It drops passengers off at Náměstí Republiky and Masarykovo station, and then finally at the main train station. It's 60 czk payable to the driver. http://www.dpp.cz/en/bus-ae-airport-express/

All journey times by public transport are in the region of 30-45 minutes (the old town and Wenceslas Square being 30 minutes)

It's also worth remembering that when you return to the airport you go through passport control first, with security checks done after at each gate, so there are no long queues to deal with.

• 1 month later...

Aside from the usual touristy places (basically anywhere with a view), there are a couple of pubs/restaurants that were probably decent enough several years ago, but are possibly ones to avoid now.

U Vejvodů (pub/restaurant)
First visited this for the friendy in 2008, and then qualifier in 2010. After moving to Czech I stopped here whenever I was in Prague. The positives include; plenty of tables, open late (and serving food till 2 am), the beer is reasonable, and it's fairly central. However, I've noticed it becoming an increasing tourist trap in recent years, with all sorts of extra hidden charges, lousy service, and horrendous food. Acceptable place to drink a Plzen or two, but that's where I'd draw the line.

U Fleků (microbrewery/restaurant)
Apparently this is the oldest brewery in Prague, and they only serve their own dark beer which isn't available anywhere else. Whilst expensive (59 Czk for 0.4 l), it's also excellent, and possibly one of my favourite dark beers. They also have a waiter doing the rounds offering shots of Becherovka and Slivovice (obviously these are not free!). I've never eaten here, but the food looked pretty average. If you really like dark beer and want to try something a bit different, then it's worth stopping by, otherwise, it won't be of much interest to you.

On ‎13‎/‎01‎/‎2016 at 6:52 PM, wubbs said:
Having lived in the Czech Republic for three years I've written this brief guide to central Prague;

I don't live in Prague, but have been there many times, including the friendly in 2008 and the qualifier in 2010. I've covered the main tourist sites, as well as some decent pubs and restaurants near the Old Town Square.

Thought this excerpt from Wubbs Guide deserves a more prominent posittion.  Like we need encouraging...!!!

http://www.thepub.cz/praha-1/?lng=en THE PUB belongs to a chain of pubs which deliver a reasonable drinking and eating experience. The serve up some traditional Czech dishes and the burgers are decent, however the best feature is undoubtedly the numerous tables that provide beer taps that enable you to tap your own Pilsner Urquell instead of having to wait for the bar staff. Tables compete against one another, whilst the pub competes with other pubs throughout Prague, the Czech Republic, and Europe. Live results displayed on a large screen. Should come with a warning.

12 hours ago, Carrick Lad said:

Thought this excerpt from Wubbs Guide deserves a more prominent posittion.  Like we need encouraging...!!!

http://www.thepub.cz/praha-1/?lng=en THE PUB belongs to a chain of pubs which deliver a reasonable drinking and eating experience. The serve up some traditional Czech dishes and the burgers are decent, however the best feature is undoubtedly the numerous tables that provide beer taps that enable you to tap your own Pilsner Urquell instead of having to wait for the bar staff. Tables compete against one another, whilst the pub competes with other pubs throughout Prague, the Czech Republic, and Europe. Live results displayed on a large screen. Should come with a warning.

When there for 2010 game - was great though dangerous when our table was p1ssed at end of night and random folk were pouring bevvy from your beer tap as they walked past...

• 2 weeks later...

We are taking the kids with us this time (aged 10 and 11) and don't arrive until around 10.30 pm on the Wednesday night. I have organised the hotel to pick us up so we are fine there - get to hotel around 11.30ish. The hotel is just round the corner from the Old Town Square (stayed here before). Anybody know if there will be anyplace near where we can get something to eat more so for the kids. I know there used to be a McD's just up from the hotel but don't think this was open at that time. It doesn't have to be a sit down meal but a burger and chips would do. Many thanks x

1 hour ago, Tartan Queen said:

We are taking the kids with us this time (aged 10 and 11) and don't arrive until around 10.30 pm on the Wednesday night. I have organised the hotel to pick us up so we are fine there - get to hotel around 11.30ish. The hotel is just round the corner from the Old Town Square (stayed here before). Anybody know if there will be anyplace near where we can get something to eat more so for the kids. I know there used to be a McD's just up from the hotel but don't think this was open at that time. It doesn't have to be a sit down meal but a burger and chips would do. Many thanks x

at that time in the evening you're best bet will be Wenceslas Square

8 hours ago, Tartan Queen said:

Loads of wee vendors on the streets, pizza places and fastfood (McDs< KFC etc) around old town and Wen Square.

If your are looking for something specific let me know.

Thanks Scott, I know there is a McD's round from our hotel and from memory this closed around 10 ish. Nothing specific just to get the kids a burger or the like, doesn't have to be sit down as we are only 2 minute walk from Old Town Square so can take this back to hotel. Don't want to head as far as Wen Square at that time as the kids will be a bit shattered (ok we will be shattered lol) as we are leaving here around 8ish in the morning and don't land until after 10 at night. Many thanks for your suggestions

15 hours ago, Debian said:

It's bad enough guys taking their missus with them, but also their kids. 

??????

I take my husband lol. The kids love the trips. They are not going to any of the other friendlies but are going to Slovakia :)

2 hours ago, Debian said:

Your husband sounds a fun chap ?

Ha ha. There's usually a squad of us but they are giving this one a miss that's one of the reasons the kids are coming with us this time and not going to any other friendlies and the kids have never been to Prague before :)

On Friday, March 04, 2016 at 9:51 AM, Debian said:

It's bad enough guys taking their missus with them, but also their kids. 

??????

Nothing wrong with this. We started taking the kids when they were 7 and 8, and they're seasoned TA now, aged 19 and 21. We're schooling the next generation.

On Wednesday, January 13, 2016 at 6:52 PM, wubbs said:

Thanks for that. This will be my sixth trip to Prague, and we've done most of the usual tourist visits, but the Strahov monastery and brewery is one we haven't done, so that's on the list. ?

6 hours ago, Padre Andrew said:

Nothing wrong with this. We started taking the kids when they were 7 and 8, and they're seasoned TA now, aged 19 and 21. We're schooling the next generation.

The kids have been going to home games since they were 7also been members of SSC since then.  They are 10 now and have been to a few away games and love it :))