Betfair Paying Out On No Vote Already - Page 2 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Betfair Paying Out On No Vote Already

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Postal votes are only opened and counted on Thursday evening.

Not true. My uncle is counting and has been involved early as last week. Spoke to him on Sunday evening and he has seen a lot of votes already. Lots of NOs apparently.

I never questioned him on it, but I'll try contact him later to ask how he has seen these votes, if what you say is true. He's a newly turned YES voter.

Surprised it's not illegal to do that with election!

Wouldn't be surprised tbh but couldn't tell you if it is.

Can imagine a bit if unrest from this which might be what they are looking for.

Any element of doubt now could switch a vote and that's the very last thing Scotland needs just now.

I'm hoping it'll stop soft no's from bothering to vote as they think it's job done.

Hopefully. I'm a bit worried that it might make soft Yeses think there is nae point.

Aside from that, it seems a very strange thing for a bookies to do, considering that the polls would appear to show both sides neck and neck.

Not true. My uncle is counting and has been involved early as last week. Spoke to him on Sunday evening and he has seen a lot of votes already. Lots of NOs apparently.

I never questioned him on it, but I'll try contact him later to ask how he has seen these votes, if what you say is true. He's a newly turned YES voter.

I'd expect Postal Votes to be a high % of postal votes.

Old codgers,

Yeah that is true. I know people who have been involved in checking postal votes in Highland. It is not all the votes being counted but they are checking some to verify names/addresses etc. When you open them you can't help but see most of the votes.

So some people will have a very good idea of how postal votes are going and I imagine there will be people in contact with others from other areas to build up a national picture.

Maybe paying out the winnings but wont return the stake if its a yes??

Ahhh well that would mean the payout is relatively small as the odds were always so pish for No. If does go Yes the loss is minimal and that would correlate with this being a publicity move.

Disconcerting though...

They could be cutting their losses...in a two horse race the odds started off low...and NO has always been odds-on to win...so paying out a six figure sum isnt too bad for the bookies, cos you would have had to put a huge sum on in the first place....their fear is everyone lumping on YES at better odds. Maybe by paying out on NO they want to put doubt in the punters' minds.......more fearmongering!

Did he give you indication of proportion?

would this not be expected though. Surely postal votes must cover a lot of the older generation perhaps preferring not to have to walk to a polling booth? therefore should we not expect a fair number of No's?

would this not be expected though. Surely postal votes must cover a lot of the older generation perhaps preferring not to have to walk to a polling booth? therefore should we not expect a fair number of No's?

I think that would be the concensus. It's certainly what I though.

So some people will have a very good idea of how postal votes are going and I imagine there will be people in contact with others from other areas to build up a national picture.

Uncle is based in Glasgow. I'll get in touch with him before Thursday to try get more information :ok: