Post Workout Recovery - Page 2 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Post Workout Recovery

F*ck me there is some crazy advice on here!!! Firstly bin the milk advice, the type of training your doing and goals you need you will need more than milk especially a bloody milkshake. Meat before bed?!?! If your going to have anything have some nuts or if you want to have a slow release protein before bedtime Google "Casein Protein" which will be helpful.

Do not have Lucozade, jesus christ i can't believe someone recommended this. :banghead: You would just be pumping a bottle of sugar into your body and if being lean is your aim Lucozade is not your friend.

The type of training you are doing is excellent and is pretty much PHA training (peripheral heart action training) which is excellent for losing weight as you have discovered and i am a big advocate of.

If you want a hand with anything else drop me a PM as some of the stuff on here is well wide of the mark and bordering on ridiculous!

FFS. Mr. Motivator's on the TAMB. Good to see you back - always admired your work on TV AM.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tabata's always 4 minutes - 8 x 20 seconds work and 10 seconds rest = 8 x 30 seconds = 240 seconds = 4 minutes (apologies if that sounds patronising but I can't think how else to explain it :lol: ). How many 'sets' you do is up to you but I do 6 to 8 sets (so 24 to 32 minutes).

Right.

I was thinking the entire workout was 4 minutes then it's off to the showers...

There was a programme on telly a while back about recovery drinks. They monitored two sets of rugby players over the course of some training sessions and gave one set a lucozade type sports recovery drink and the other set milk. From recollection the milk was just as good, and poss even better at helping the players bodies recover than the sports drink.

There was, the milk has loads of protein and is quickly digested so your muscles have amino acids to help regeneration so are less likely to be sore the next day.

There was, the milk has loads of protein and is quickly digested so your muscles have amino acids to help regeneration so are less likely to be sore the next day.

It certainly doesn't have "loads" of protein in it. According to a quick google there's less than 4g of protein in 100ml of semi-skimmed milk. Edited by Parklife

Full fat milk has Casein Protein in it and whey protein (slow and fast release), is mostly water and contains electrolytes, has complete BCAA and also has lactose in it as well.

It's an excellent recovery drink.

You're going to need to drink fecking shit loads to get enough protein to trigger muscle-protein synthesis.

Drinking a glass of milk is not an adequate recovery drink, unless it is about to be closely followed by a meal.

You're going to need to drink fecking shit loads to get enough protein to trigger muscle-protein synthesis.

Drinking a glass of milk is not an adequate recovery drink, unless it is about to be closely followed by a meal.

I never mentioned drinking a glass of milk.

I'm just saying what the scientific research says.

"There has been growing interest in the potential use of bovine milk as an exercise beverage, especially during recovery from resistance training and endurance sports. Based on the limited research, milk appears to be an effective post-resistance exercise beverage that results in favourable acute alterations in protein metabolism. Milk consumption acutely increases muscle protein synthesis, leading to an improved net muscle protein balance."

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2569005/

I'm in the forces and need to take an annual fitness test, in which I'm required to reach a certain standard. Whilst I agree with your sentiment, and I do wire into my fair share of junk food, I need to balance it a wee bit, hence my question.

Are you:

a. Army if so grow some and get hard into it!

b. Navy, Running around the deck and carrying your mate off ship is a piss poor fitness test!

c. RAF. Stage 3 on the MSFT and then out for a jolly in the nearest hilton. Crab air not for all.

You staying in? Where you based? Have family at Benson.

Spent 5 years at Benson from '99 to '04 - great place and my favourite tour. Did my 22 and had an HR Managers job lined up in Forres but got offered an FTRS Recruiter post based at Lossiemouth. We'd bought a house up here so suited perfectly. You still living the dream too? :lol:

I thought I'd give this tabata thing a bash at the gym tonight. (Fitness test in three weeks) Feeking shell, I thought I'd lost a lung! It even hurts to type!

For anyone interested in trying Tabata, here's the beginner ( :lol: ) programme my PTI gave me 6 weeks ago. 3 sessions a week as follows:

Session 1 (each exercise once, max effort for 20 secs, 10 secs rest/transition, 1 minute rest, repeat 6 to 8 times)

Step-ups

Thrusters

Bent over row

Crunches

Press-ups

Med ball twist

Weighted (use a 10kg Med ball or weight) squats

Plank

Session 2:

Treadmill/running track/suitable other

20 secs max effort sprint, 10 secs rest, repeat x 8 (4 minutes), 1 minute rest, then repeat 6 to 8 times.

Session 3:

Rower

250m sprints max effort, 30 secs rest, repeat x 12 (3000m) (not strictly Tabata, but still HIIT)

Edited by redstevie007

For anyone interested in trying Tabata, here's the beginner ( :lol: ) programme my PTI gave me 6 weeks ago. 3 sessions a week as follows:

Session 1 (each exercise once, max effort for 20 secs, 10 secs rest/transition, 1 minute rest, repeat 6 to 8 times)

Step-ups

Thrusters

Bent over row

Crunches

Press-ups

Med ball twist

Weighted (use a 10kg Med ball or weight) squats

Plank

Session 2:

Treadmill/running track/suitable other

20 secs max effort sprint, 10 secs rest, repeat x 8 (4 minutes), 1 minute rest, then repeat 6 to 8 times.

Session 3:

Rower

250m sprints max effort, 30 secs rest, repeat x 12 (3000m) (not strictly Tabata, but still HIIT)

Piper required for Stevie's funeral.

How the fukk do you do a high intensity plank for 20 seconds as opposed to just a normal plank for 20 seconds?

:lol: My reaction too when he gave me the workout. His response was 'trust me'. After doing the previous 7 exercises I could barely keep my nose off the mat :lol: When you get to your 4th, 5th, 6th set it's the hardest thing in the world to do last.