Golfers Forum. - Page 19 - Other Sports - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Golfers Forum.

dandydunn

78 blows today (71 par). Happy with that as I had two out the park that both cost me double bogeys.

36 putts. Still not great but at least I only had one 3 putt this time.

What's your handicap? If you sort out your putting you could be a Category 1 golfer.

What's your handicap? If you sort out your putting you could be a Category 1 golfer.

9 although as I didn't join anywhere this year it's now unofficial. Lowest I've been is 6. That was about 10 years ago.

Strangely I didn't feel like I putted terribly today although when I counted it back it obviously doesn't read too great.

9 although as I didn't join anywhere this year it's now unofficial. Lowest I've been is 6. That was about 10 years ago.

Strangely I didn't feel like I putted terribly today although when I counted it back it obviously doesn't read too great.

Putting stats can be looked at loads of ways - are you hitting loads of greens in regulation and therefore having less chips/putts?

Could explain why you feel you putted well?

Putting stats can be looked at loads of ways - are you hitting loads of greens in regulation and therefore having less chips/putts?

Not so much I putted well mate, more that it was an improvement last week. You have actually got me thinking, asking that...to the point I've went back and written it down so here goes :blush:

Only 9 greens in regulation. By that I mean where I've actually been on the putting surface. On top of that there was another 5 holes where I've missed the green but been close enough that I've just used my putter. I'm really not confident when pitching so usually opt for the putter where I can get away with it. The two holes I doubled were lost balls off the tee and I did hit the green in regulation with my second ball both times. If I discount the two lost off the tee it's only 2 holes out of 18 where I've had to pitch with my 3rd (once from a bunker, once from about 60 yards away. Missed putt both times)

The 36 putts I mention above do actually include those putts from off the green. I had to hole around 4 or 5 from 5 or 6 feet for par which is why it maybe 'feels' like I putted well. One thing though out of those 16 holes, only once was I inside 15 feet which I holed for birdie. Apart from the one 3 putt i had, the rest could probably be described as good 2 putt's given the distance I was from the hole. At least 5 were 40 feet plus.

Perhaps my approach play is needing a look rather than my putting. In fact that's pretty glaring now that I've thought about it?

Agree with this. Lot's of putts can hide good tee-to-green stats.

I had a shocker in the medal last night. Mojo gone.

What's everyone's best way of playing from 60 yards inwards?

I hate playing the short pitches with the wedges so much that I try to avoid it at all costs,unless there is a bunker or the like in the way.

Much prefer to have a wee chip n run with a 7 iron,so much so,it's probably the most used club in my bag,behind the putter.

I tend to call it the go to club,if I'm not sure on a shot,I use the 7.

It has saved me a lot of hassle. :lol:

60 yards it's a 58 wedge for me, I guess it depends on whether you're playing links or not. I don't get to play links often but I am happy to chip & run with 7 or 8 iron from 60 yards

58 degree wedge, back in stance, 75% weight on left side, hands through first and fast......produces a low punch that bounces twice and stops dead. Excellent when executed. Disaster if not! The shot you're describing is very effective(and easier to execute) if you have a clear run and no bumps, change in cuts etc, but much more difficult for distance control (maybe slightly easier on a links).

Try working things out to leave yourself whatever distance you hit a full 52. For example, if you can't reach a par 5 in 2 (been difficult this "summer") then rather than just hit 3 wood for second to get as close as possible, try and leave about 115 yards. Works well for me. Same at short par 4's, don't hit driver, hit whatever leaves you a full 52. Not always an option I know.

Not so much I putted well mate, more that it was an improvement last week. You have actually got me thinking, asking that...to the point I've went back and written it down so here goes :blush:

Only 9 greens in regulation. By that I mean where I've actually been on the putting surface. On top of that there was another 5 holes where I've missed the green but been close enough that I've just used my putter. I'm really not confident when pitching so usually opt for the putter where I can get away with it. The two holes I doubled were lost balls off the tee and I did hit the green in regulation with my second ball both times. If I discount the two lost off the tee it's only 2 holes out of 18 where I've had to pitch with my 3rd (once from a bunker, once from about 60 yards away. Missed putt both times)

The 36 putts I mention above do actually include those putts from off the green. I had to hole around 4 or 5 from 5 or 6 feet for par which is why it maybe 'feels' like I putted well. One thing though out of those 16 holes, only once was I inside 15 feet which I holed for birdie. Apart from the one 3 putt i had, the rest could probably be described as good 2 putt's given the distance I was from the hole. At least 5 were 40 feet plus.

Perhaps my approach play is needing a look rather than my putting. In fact that's pretty glaring now that I've thought about it?

That explains it then. The top pros (and me :wink2: ) don't count putts from off the green. I almost never putt from off the green anyway. So you actually went round in 31 putts which isn't bad. If I have more than 30 putts I usually think I've had a poorish putting day but, as others have said, it also depends on how many greens you hit in regulation. I probably only average about 3 or 4 greens in regulation so I am chipping onto most greens. On a good day I can often go round in 25ish putts. If I start having a good spell from tee to green my number of putts will usually go up (or those are the days when I get my handicap cut). That's partly because my first putt will tend to be further from the hole but also because I absolutely hate leaving birdie putts short. I would rather 3 putt than leave a birdie putt short. I know that's a wee bit mental but I like getting birdies. it's what golf is all about. :lol:

What's everyone's best way of playing from 60 yards inwards?

I hate playing the short pitches with the wedges so much that I try to avoid it at all costs,unless there is a bunker or the like in the way.

Much prefer to have a wee chip n run with a 7 iron,so much so,it's probably the most used club in my bag,behind the putter.

I tend to call it the go to club,if I'm not sure on a shot,I use the 7.

It has saved me a lot of hassle. :lol:

Sand wedge for me mostly this year. I also like a wee bump and run with a 7 iron but this year the fringes of the greens have just been too lush to make that a good percentage shot. For me it's all down to the conditions. If round the greens are dry and the grass is short then it's a wee bump and run every time.

That explains it then. The top pros (and me :wink2: ) don't count putts from off the green. I almost never putt from off the green anyway. So you actually went round in 31 putts which isn't bad. If I have more than 30 putts I usually think I've had a poorish putting day but, as others have said, it also depends on how many greens you hit in regulation. I probably only average about 3 or 4 greens in regulation so I am chipping onto most greens. On a good day I can often go round in 25ish putts. If I start having a good spell from tee to green my number of putts will usually go up (or those are the days when I get my handicap cut). That's partly because my first putt will tend to be further from the hole but also because I absolutely hate leaving birdie putts short. I would rather 3 putt than leave a birdie putt short. I know that's a wee bit mental but I like getting birdies. it's what golf is all about. :lol:

Aye given the context I've probably putted not too badly. As said above I think it's my approach play that needs a bit of work. I'm never really giving myself decent chances for birdie, and as a result it's rarely a tap in for par.

Much on this weekend?

Letham Grange for me to defend my title won last year at a wholesalers invite day out.

As much free alcohol as can be consumed Is order of the day.

Should be interesting.

Is that before, after or during the golf? That big horse shoe dog leg on the back 9 (12th maybe?) is one of my favorite holes in golf.

Is that before, after or during the golf? That big horse shoe dog leg on the back 9 (12th maybe?) is one of my favorite holes in golf.

It's all of the above.

The only cash required is for any side bets on the course.

It's the shorter of the 2 courses were playing I believe.

Played it last year,but can't remember much about it.

:lol:

It's all of the above.

The only cash required is for any side bets on the course.

It's the shorter of the 2 courses were playing I believe.

Played it last year,but can't remember much about it.

:lol:

Have you played the big course before (Old Course, I think it's called)? It's well worth a worth a go. A decent test of golf, but try to play it in dryish conditions. It can get pretty muddy in places.