A Statue For Hampden - Page 2 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

A Statue For Hampden

the Sunnylaw Jag

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the idea of sporadic statues around the stadium of our greatest moments/players would be amazing.

Would bring a lot more to the stadium surroundings as it is rather bleak.

Like someone mentioned though, the SFA would never agree as they are tighter than Rambos headband.

Would rather no work done to hampden and eventually see us build a huge modern stadium, like polands one, or the new Bordeaux one or the upgraded velodrome in a centralish location with good rail and road links, or Stirling or Perth.

Never gonna happen for numerous reasons.

And why take International football away from its natural home ?

Would rather no work done to hampden and eventually see us build a huge modern stadium, like polands one, or the new Bordeaux one or the upgraded velodrome in a centralish location with good rail and road links, or Stirling or Perth.

Nae chance

I think David Stuart's idea about football statues is spot-on but can I suggest that we think big on this one. Let's have some Stalinist-sized statues which straddle the approachways to Hampden - we could even have one of our old friend Ray Clemence that is large enough to allow supporters buses and coaches to drive between his legs.
Bigger still, let's utilise the nearby Campsie Hills or Cathkin Braes to create Scottish Football's answer to Mount Rushmore. I would propose a monument to management in the shape of Ally MacLeod, Jock Stein, Andy Roxburgh and Craig Brown!
OK then, by way of a more practical suggestion, why not adorn some of our tenement gable-ends with paintings of our Scotland football heroes. Indeed, as we gear up for being a host at Euro 2020 we could also include some continental footballers who have starred at Hampden over the years - eg Puskas, Beckenbauer and Zidane. Something similar was done last year to promote the various sports of the Commonwealth Games held in Glasgow [and Edinburgh and Tayside]. Football and art can go together- the likes of Jinky Johnstone and Davie Cooper proved that.