Play Off Seedings - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Play Off Seedings

King Of Paisley

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If the groups stayed the same as they are right now (except us replacing Ireland) then I think it would be...

Croatia through as best 3rd placed. Would outrank us if they fall out of best place. Or Norway from this group.

Seeded:

Ukraine (Slovakia would also be above us)

Russia (Sweden would also be above us)
Turkey (Netherlands would be above us)
Israel (Bosnia would also be above us)

Unseeded:
Hungary
Scotland
Albania
Estonia

So as far as I can see we'd be unseeded no matter what unless there are some freak results Happy to be corrected

Before I get shot down in flames I am NOT counting my chickens here by any stretch, but if we did make it to the play-offs then is there a small possibility that we might end up being seeded given some of the nations that are currently sitting in third place?

Seeding is based on the national team coefficients so I doubt we would be seeded if we sneaked 3rd spot. Of the 8 teams currently sitting 3rd in the other groups, 6 of those are above us in the coefficients. Only Estonia and Albania are below us in the coefficients.

http://www.uefa.com/MultimediaFiles/Download/competitions/General/02/25/84/05/2258405_DOWNLOAD.pdf

At a glance, you're looking at...

Turkey/Holland

Israel

Ukraine

Scotland/ RoI/ Poland

Estonia/Slovenia

Hungary

Russia/Sweden

Norway/Croatia

Denmark/Albania*

I think Denmark or Albania will be best runner up at a glance, but it's hard to tell, as not sure who has played bottom seeds once and twice, and if they won.

We can only get 17 points, which is 11 for this purpose and Denmark and Albania already have 12 and 11 with no 6th team.

Seeds are going to be.

Holland/Turkey

Ukraine

Russia/Sweden

And one other, possibly from our group or Croatia?

The teams currently in third place are Turkey, Israel, Ukraine, Estonia, Hungary, Russia, Croatia and Albania. The best placed third place team gets automatic qualification and at the moment that would be Croatia.

The current FIFA rankings for the remaining teams are:

25. Albania

29. Ukraine

31. Scotland (if we make it)

32. Russia

37. Hungary

46. Israel

46. Turkey (joint)

80. Estonia

So going by that I'd say that if we did make the play offs we'd be seeded and would play one of Hungary, Israel, Turkey or Estonia.

The teams currently in third place are Turkey, Israel, Ukraine, Estonia, Hungary, Russia, Croatia and Albania. The best placed third place team gets automatic qualification and at the moment that would be Croatia.

The current FIFA rankings for the remaining teams are:

25. Albania

29. Ukraine

31. Scotland (if we make it)

32. Russia

37. Hungary

46. Israel

46. Turkey (joint)

80. Estonia

So going by that I'd say that if we did make the play offs we'd be seeded and would play one of Hungary, Israel, Turkey or Estonia.

It's not world rankings that decide seeding it's the UEFA coefficient.

The best 3rd place is almost certainly going to come from Ukraine's group based on potential points. They already have 12 points with 3 counting games to come. If they sneak second, Spain and Slovakia are both in similar positions.

Because it's going to be UEFA coefficient, Sweden/Russia, Denmark and Hungary will almost certainly be seeded. The 4th spot will likely be Norway imo, but could be Slovenia, Turkey or Israel. If Bosnia sneak past Israel it'll be them.

We've got no chance, so you'd be looking for Hungary.

We'll be un-seeded as our coefficient is rotten

I'm I right in think this means we'll have to play at home first then away in second leg? Not clear on UEFA website.

In the past, have they not just made up the rules for play offs depending who ends up there?

:lol:

UEFA website says first team drawn will be at home first but doesn't say if that will be the seeded or non seeded team although in the past with playoffs they have the non seeded team at home first, us vs England in 99 and us vs Holland in whenever it was. Of course the recent champions league Celtic vs Malmö game, Celtic were the seeded team and played at home first

So basically I don't know

The best 3rd place is almost certainly going to come from Ukraine's group based on potential points. They already have 12 points with 3 counting games to come. If they sneak second, Spain and Slovakia are both in similar positions.

Because it's going to be UEFA coefficient, Sweden/Russia, Denmark and Hungary will almost certainly be seeded. The 4th spot will likely be Norway imo, but could be Slovenia, Turkey or Israel. If Bosnia sneak past Israel it'll be them.

We've got no chance, so you'd be looking for Hungary.

Hungary are ranked 33 in the uefa rankings and we are 24 and Norway and Slovenia are below us too.Is there a different list somewhere?

Also, ours can only improve with two victories and others will get worse.

It's not world rankings that decide seeding it's the UEFA coefficient.

OK, so based on the current UEFA Coefficient it's as follows:

7. Russia

8. Ukraine

11. Turkey

21. Israel

24. Scotland

33. Hungary

39. Albania

47. Estonia

So it's been of Russia, Ukraine, Turkey or Israel with the latter being the only one I'd fancy us against over 2 legs.

OK, so based on the current UEFA Coefficient it's as follows:

7. Russia

8. Ukraine

11. Turkey

21. Israel

24. Scotland

33. Hungary

39. Albania

47. Estonia

So it's been of Russia, Ukraine, Turkey or Israel with the latter being the only one I'd fancy us against over 2 legs.

Where are you getting that list? The one I've got is totally different but might no be right.

Is it really based on the UEFA country coefficient? Isn't that based on club performances and therefore bears no relation to how good the international team is?

Ah - hang on. There is also a UEFA national team coefficient.

Ukraine 10th

Russia 20th

Hungary 21st

Turkey 28th

Israel 29th

Scotland 30th

Albania 32nd

Estonia 36th

Looks like all to play for. Although that was only up to middle of June.

Edited by adamntg