The View From Ireland - Page 5 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

The View From Ireland

TheBoysinGreen

I would definitely rather be in our position than Irelands.

The way I see it.if we beat Poland at home we have the play off spot.

If anyone offered us that before a ball was kicked most would have taken it. If we were in Irelands position having to get points from Germany home and Poland away then I wouldn't be confident even with a 4 point start.

I can't see Germany dropping any more points and don't think even the most pessimistic fan thinks we will slip up v Gibraltar. It's the 2 games v Poland that will matter and I'd much rather them at home than away.

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It`s simply impossible no to win vs Gibraltar.

Is far far to early for their team to compete on that level. For the long periods it`s embarassing to watch other teams rivalry with Gibraltar.

They should develop their team and league first and then try again imho.

Is far far to early for their team to compete on that level. For the long periods it`s embarassing to watch other teams rivalry with Gibraltar.

They have a population of just over 30,000 and have a decent league set up for a place of that size. There isn't any way they could really develop it further and in turn their team is never going to reach higher levels than it is currently. Being on par with San Marino is probably their top potential.

They have a population of just over 30,000 and have a decent league set up for a place of that size. There isn't any way they could really develop it further and in turn their team is never going to reach higher levels than it is currently. Being on par with San Marino is probably their top potential.

How about the Faroes? They've beaten Greece home and away, drawn with Turkey, beaten Austria, drawn with Scotland twice - all with a similar population to Gib and San Marino. Iceland, with only 300,000 have qualified.

I'm sure we're all aware and laughing at the fact that Seamus and Hamish are actually the same name, Hamish of course being an Anglicisation of the vocative case of Seamus with the initial S being lenited/aspirated.

Obviously.....everybody knows that ! :P

How about the Faroes? They've beaten Greece home and away, drawn with Turkey, beaten Austria, drawn with Scotland twice - all with a similar population to Gib and San Marino. Iceland, with only 300,000 have qualified.

True they have come on well. Their population is about 60% bigger than Gibralta though so they should be that bit better.

Iceland though, their story is unbelievable! Obviously a much bigger population than Gibralta but looking at the population of European countries they should be a pot 6 team and no team with a smaller population will ever qualify for a major tournament.

There's a question, what is the country in Europe with the largest population that has never qualified for a major tournament?

Edited by iainmac1

True they have come on well. Their population is about 60% bigger than Gibralta though so they should be that bit better.

Iceland though, their story is unbelievable! Obviously a much bigger population than Gibralta but looking at the population of European countries they should be a pot 6 team and no team with a smaller population will ever qualify for a major tournament.

There's a question, what is the country in Europe with the largest population that has never qualified for a major tournament?

Good question. My first quick guess would be Kazakhstan. If it's countries that are actually IN Europe fhen maybe Finland?

Good one! I'd go for Belarus...

Edit... Looking at the map it must be Kazakhstan (if that counts as Europe!)

Edited by Toepoke

Great question, but one with debatable answers. There are a number of teams with country populations of 1 - 17 million that either straddle the border of Europe but are in UEFA, and teams that only became independent in the last 20 - 25 years but went to tournaments as part of a bloc.

When you say Qualified?...Do you mean solely by qualifying group?

Trick question ....maybe?

Ukraine despite being in Euro 2012 ....they didnt qualify through a group stage...it was also their first time in a euro championship.....they were in it cos they were hosts

Is it Ukraine?

Im probably completely barking up the wrong tree :-))

Edited by Green_Tide_Rising

Looking at the population list you would have to go from uefa nations as that's where qualifiers come from.

Kazakhstan are the biggest on 17.5 million, then Azerbaijan on 9.7 and Belarus on 9.5 million. They would have qualified as part of the USSR but not in their own right.

The next one is Finland on 5.5 million.

Out if interest I Googled the country with the largest population who have never qualified for the world cup. It's a bit of trick question that one.

Edited by iainmac1

That's easy for you to say. You weren't sitting in Hampden park when the score was 1-1 after 30 minutes. :lol:

Surely it's India?

Yeah that's what I thought but the site I got the question from said they are the largest never to have played in one but did technically qualify in the 1950's (due to all the other Asian teams pulling out) but then pulled out and gave up their place themselves. So they counted that as technically qualifying.