Vj Day - Page 4 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

No it wasn't. The battle of Waterloo can be judged as part of the many conflicts leading up to and resulting in VJ day then.

Hopelessly cleaving to the idea that a thread must focus on "one action" in a universe of causation is just plain ignorant. As explained previously Japan came into the war because they had their oil supply shut off, so they attacked military targets to stop the US flanking them as they had to go and secure other oil supplies. This is then used a justification of dropping the bomb (picking on the biggest kid) , 12 years later Iran privatized their oil supply after our companies refused to be audited on how much they were taking, so we did a "Japan" to protect supply and staged a violent coup and put in a dictator after removing a democratic government. Let's hope Iran doesn't drop a couple of nukes on us, we'd only have ourselves to blame.

It's to do with VJ day because it shows how the: "Japan attacked America so deserved to be firebombed and nuked out of existence crowd" would suddenly cry foul if Iran dropped 2 nukes on us for attacking them over oil. It's classic my-side bias a logical fallacy.

For me it will never be correct to split the atom above cities and incinerate them. In the end we all must make our own judgements. loads of babies with birth defects, although as an interesting side Fallujah now has 14 times the amount of Birth defects as Nagasaki and Hiroshima. Iraq is littered with depleted Uranium causing untold damage to unborn babies and the such.

I'm not sure logic will ever win in a battle against hatred? :wink2:

I didn't know anything about the depleted uranium in Iraq. So, had a quick google. The USofA military are a bunch of horrible khunts. How anybody can believe that the use of these weapons is justified, is beyond my comprehension.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I didn't know anything about the depleted uranium in Iraq. So, had a quick google. The USofA military are a bunch of horrible khunts. How anybody can believe that the use of these weapons is justified, is beyond my comprehension.

Not just the US.

This publication was published under the 2010 to 2015 Conservative and Liberal Democrat coalition government

"An explanation of why the Ministry of Defence (MOD) believe the use of depleted uranium (DU) munitions is lawful, why they reject claims that the use of DU munitions presents severe health and environmental risks and why we oppose calls to ban these munitions. The outcome and relevance of the many health and environmental studies which underpin the MOD view, the role of battlefield clearance in further reducing the already low risks from DU contamination and some common misconceptions are described.2

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/depleted-uranium-du-munitions

138 states have supported a resolution calling for a precautionary approach to depleted uranium weapons at the United Nations First Committee.

The resolution was tabled by the Non-Aligned Movement and, as with previous years, the text was actively opposed by the US, UK and France. The three DU users once again argued that various agencies such as the WHO, NATO and IAEA have undertaken long term studies into DU’s health and environmental impact. However, this simplification ignored the fact that none of the bodies cited have undertaken long-term health or environmental studies into civilian populations affected by DU contamination.

http://www.bandepleteduranium.org/en/un-vote-backs-precautionary-approach

How the World Health Organisation covered up Iraq's nuclear nightmare
Ex-UN, WHO officials reveal political interference to suppress scientific evidence of postwar environmental health catastrophe

http://www.theguardian.com/environment/earth-insight/2013/oct/13/world-health-organisation-iraq-war-depleted-uranium

I struggle too with the 'saved many lives' argument... although the US weren't first, the basic understanding of war is that one set of soldiers fights another... this bombing changed the rules - if you don't surrender we will murder all your citizens.... it is terrorism. The only difference between nuclear weapons logic and the IRA is the size of the bomb.

We have become a terrorist state - our conventional weapons are so weak we will fall back on threatening to commit mass suicide and mass murder of civilians very quickly. It is insanity beyond belief..

I struggle too with the 'saved many lives' argument... although the US weren't first, the basic understanding of war is that one set of soldiers fights another... this bombing changed the rules - if you don't surrender we will murder all your citizens.... it is terrorism. The only difference between nuclear weapons logic and the IRA is the size of the bomb.

We have become a terrorist state - our conventional weapons are so weak we will fall back on threatening to commit mass suicide and mass murder of civilians very quickly. It is insanity beyond belief..

You can see why our bomber boys were up for it having lived through the Blitz and having German bombers bomb British cities.

How do you ensure your country isn't bombed ever again? You destroy the country and its people. A horrible doctrine but understandable.

Iraq was pure neo-colonialism aggression on our part.

J

Edited by Bristolhibby

You can see why our bomber boys were up for it having lived through the Blitz and having German bombers bomb British cities.

How do you ensure your country isn't bombed ever again? You destroy the country and its people. A horrible doctrine but understandable.

Iraq was pure neo-colonialism aggression on our part.

J

trust me I understand it - my wife's grandfather (who both my children were lucky enough to know) was in Burma and lost half an ear to a Japanese grenade. His personal belongings are in the regiment museum.... there is a chance if that war had gone on he may never have returned home. I don't criticise those who survived it......

however we know different now, we have perspective, we know war is mostly prosecuted for profit and that 'foreigners' are just like us they are not 'swarms' or 'hordes' - that we allow our politicians to participate in war and bombing defenceless civilians and the we have a 'defence' policy that relies on terrorism and our complicit suicide leaves me speechless....