Sea Of Yellow At Wembley? - Page 4 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Sea Of Yellow At Wembley?

Sempre

urgh... when people try get picky with historical significance...

"Don't want the lion rampant, because it's a royal flag... but that symbol of a christian martyr who never knew Scotland existed, that's the perfect reflection of my nationality."

I know the story of both the saltire and the lion rampant, so no need to retort with historical cherry picking. Imo Scotland has two flags. One that is our national identity flag, world recognised. And another that has been used for all modern history in Scotland by anyone in Scotland, in particular Scottish football fans. (personally I see it as a symbol of Scotland's self governance given it's association with Robert the Bruce, and the line of Scottish kings.)

Edited by Tartan_Wolf

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We all have our own ideas on this, often tied up to what you saw growing up as a kid. For me personally, i love the lion rampant and it reminds me of the days watching scotland when we often pumped Them. My gear for a scotland match has always been a navy blue scotland top and jeans.... No kilt. Kilts were very rare at scotland games up until about 25 years ago.

Bit ironic the slagging of the fans of the 70s

They were hardcore Scottish fans imo

Not the bleeding heart guardian readers that tend to pass off as football fans of today

100% correct, the 70's was the error of when football was played by men and supported by men, no poofs at those games trying to make out they were some sort of plastic highlanders.

wellyman, on 07 Sept 2015 - 10:38 AM, said:

100% correct, the 70's was the error of when football was played by men and supported by men, no poofs at those games trying to make out they were some sort of plastic highlanders.

If you're anything to go by, it looks like the 70's was the era of chauvinistic homophobes.

If you're anything to go by, it looks like the 70's was the era of chauvinistic homophobes.

Totally different era to these days, you started the decade with strong unions and a 3 day week and finished it with punk rockers, in between you had the "original tartan army" invading london every 2 years to wreck havoc. There were hardly any kilts in those days, jeans, tartan scarf and bonnets were the order of the day and footballers who would tackle and kick each other without making any fuss about it.

To direct the word poof at someone was to mean he was a bit light or odd not that he was homosexual or Gay although the latter meant happy in those days.

You would have to grow up in that time to understand it, not the same coverage you have on a lot of things today.