Danny Alexander - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

I know the guy's a total irrelevance but even so - less than a year after telling us how we're better off in the UK, he's gloating about Scotland's 56 SNP MPs having (as he sees it) zero influence on how Scotland is governed.

What an utter James Hunt and a total embarrassment to the country:

He said: "In the end what you have is Scottish nationalists in Scotland totally impotent in terms of what happens in the UK. I think Scotland in a way has less say over what happens in this country without one minister in the Treasury even though it's got 56 SNP MPs."

http://www.heraldscotland.com/mobile/politics/scottish-politics/danny-alexander-blasts-impotent-snp-and-claims-he-had-more-power-than-56-.131336581

Guest flumax

Someone sounds bitter that he lost his job.

What is he claiming? If we'd all voted for lib dem or labour we would have been listened to? Surely we would have 59 toothless opposition mps being ignored by a tory government. The only way we would have been heard if we'd all voted conservative.

I get his point about them doing very little in the way of influencing Westminster, but that is always the way insert the system.

Impotent, I wish his fcking dad was impotent, then the cockweasel would never have been born. Ginger bastird, he should do the honourable thing and fade into oblivion quietly.

Lib Dems shafted the country, every one of them should be hounded out of office.

This is my worry, was always my worry. Next election, people might realise it's a wasted vote. We are impotent in the UK regardless of number of SNP in Scotland.

Vote SNP, get Tory.

I stay in Australia, have heard nothing about Wee Nicky, apart form her stance on Greece (never made international news, had to search for info).

There has to be another referendum, based on the public voting and having no voice - unlikely in this term.

The easy route is to go back to voting Labour (Regardless of the Fooking Numpties standing) to oust Tory rule.

No one internationally understands the Scots for voting the way they did. (I know what happened so no need to respond to this).

What do we have for leverage SNP to make a real impact ????

YES. and SNP, for the record.

This is my worry, was always my worry. Next election, people might realise it's a wasted vote. We are impotent in the UK regardless of number of SNP in Scotland.

Vote SNP, get Tory.

I stay in Australia, have heard nothing about Wee Nicky, apart form her stance on Greece (never made international news, had to search for info).

There has to be another referendum, based on the public voting and having no voice - unlikely in this term.

The easy route is to go back to voting Labour (Regardless of the Fooking Numpties standing) to oust Tory rule.

No one internationally understands the Scots for voting the way they did. (I know what happened so no need to respond to this).

Labour are fcuked, too many people will never (or not for a long,long time) trust them up here.

File them under Tory in terms of being toxic in Scotland.

Vote SNP, get Tory.

The UK parties haven't worked out what has happened in Scotland yet so it's no surprise that people in Australia don't get it.

The SNP are in a no lose situation as far as this parliament is concerned. If they get defeated at every turn, then the line will be "look, even with almost every MP putting Scotland first, her voice and interested are being heard in Westminster". This will reinforce the view of the Union not being fit for purpose. IMHO, to be successful they have to be seen to be giving a real good go so they can say, "look we did our best but it's impossible".

Any victories they can achieve, especially around repatriation of powers to Holyrood will reinforce the view of the SNP being a powerful political force. Either way, the cause of Independence and/or the SNP interests are advanced.

Personally, I think a bigger problem will be the next Holyrood parliament where it looks very likely the SNP will be in majority and be in their third term, which is when the train may come off the rails. They have some advantages, replacing Salmond with Sturgeon is becoming more and more like a master stroke and also there is currently no credible opposition in Scotland.

It's a long way back for Labour in Scotland, I don't see people who switched from Labour to SNP in May, switching back again any time soon. They are predicted to lose all the constituency seats and I can also see them suffering on the list from the Greens and the left and- if they can get their act together. It wouldn't be a surprise if the Tories aren't the second biggest party in Holyrood next year.