Back To Black - Page 5 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

And sometimes they are not but you wouldn't know it from some people which is pretty sad.

On the rare occasion they do something right I acknowledge it... I done so recently in the EU vote thread. People joked about it being the doing of the swear filter, we all laughed, oh how we laughed.

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

On the rare occasion they do something right I acknowledge it... I done so recently in the EU vote thread. People joked about it being the doing of the swear filter, we all laughed, oh how we laughed.

"People" did not joke aboot the swear filter. It was just me what did it. Stop trying to dilute my jokes, they are weak enough as it is.

What makes you so certain? I'm not saying you're wrong. I'm just curious as to why you seem absolutely certain beyond reasonable doubt that these studies are wrong?

There's a very good reason why the comparison is pish. You're comparing the absolute poverty measure used by the UN with the relative poverty measure used by UK charities.

Absolute poverty - less than 1.25 dollars a day

Relative poverty - less than a certain percentage of the per head GDP (usually 60% I think)

Basically you're saying there are a lower percentage of people in China on two dollars a day than there are in the UK on £13000 a year, so China is the better system.

So its an utterly bollox comparison which is blindingly obvious to anyone with a basic understanding of poverty measures. Rather than someone who did a Google search and wants to make a cheap point on a message board.

Edited by biffer

And another thing, from what I can see, China has a higher gini coefficient than the UK as well, another reason not to set up an economy like theirs

What model do you suggest we follow? My understanding of economics is basic as you can tell... However even I know that cutting corporation tax to promote growth only destroys public services, increases inequality and has dire effects on public spending.

What model do you suggest we follow? My understanding of economics is basic as you can tell... However even I know that cutting corporation tax to promote growth only destroys public services, increases inequality and has dire effects on public spending.

Before we change the subject, can you agree your poverty argument is absolute pish?

There has to be encouragement for entrepreneurs and investors, but the way proposed in the article isn't the way to do it. By tax exempting the sale of a startup company you're perpetuating the culture in the UK that you start a business to get it to ten million turnover and then sell it. In the US people want hundred million and billion turnover, the attitude is different.

Tax increases can lead to evasion, as is evident from the UK tax base. Finding the right balance is key (the UK makes more a ney from the 45% rate than it did from the 50% rate as evasion/ avoidance has decreased at the lower rate).

My opinion is that we should follow the German system in providing the assistance and support for manufacturing and high tech industry. There have been some small steps along this road in catapult centres, business investment bank etc, but it needs more support, restructuring of the banking system and more investment in science research and facilities.

There has to be encouragement for entrepreneurs and investors, but the way proposed in the article isn't the way to do it. By tax exempting the sale of a startup company you're perpetuating the culture in the UK that you start a business to get it to ten million turnover and then sell it. In the US people want hundred million and billion turnover, the attitude is different.

Tax increases can lead to evasion, as is evident from the UK tax base. Finding the right balance is key (the UK makes more a ney from the 45% rate than it did from the 50% rate as evasion/ avoidance has decreased at the lower rate).

My opinion is that we should follow the German system in providing the assistance and support for manufacturing and high tech industry. There have been some small steps along this road in catapult centres, business investment bank etc, but it needs more support, restructuring of the banking system and more investment in science research and facilities.

A refreshing answer away from the often cited unobtainable Nordic model. I won't pretend to know the ins and outs of the German system... Cos I know hee haw about it.

Maybe he works for CGHQ? I'm pretty sure you'll be on their radar.

unlikely, with the "repeal" of the NSA snooper charter, it'll be back to GCHQ spying on us citizens and NSA spying on british citizens then swapping the info and then saying they the government doesn'[t spy on it's own people.

You can laugh. You'll wish it was me knocking on your door when the boys arrive.

Pfft good luck! I'm an enigma!*

*Unless you wait until I'm in Cove Sheeps company where he points out who I am to anyone who'll listen in the hope that someone has a go.

*Unless you wait until I'm in Cove Sheeps company where he points out who I am to anyone who'll listen in the hope that someone has a go.

He does that to you as well? I thought it was just me :lol:

He does that to you as well? I thought it was just me :lol:

Boys utterly desperate to get me lynched :lol:

Game against Wales:

Cove: Peevers here, want me to introduce you?

Me: Nah, that khunts a psycho.

*just in earshot*

Cove: Peever, that's Scunnered.

Me:... Sigh.

I was thinking of going up and doing a park-run with Cove(even though he probably doesn't want me to) as he was the pebble that started the avalanche, with this new information I might give it a miss. I guess it's one way to make sure i run a fast time.

I helped peever find one of his models though so probably safe.

Hopefully all i will have to deal with is Lamia and FE lapping me several times.

I was thinking of going up and doing a park-run with Cove(even though he probably doesn't want me to) as he was the pebble that started the avalanche, with this new information I might give it a miss. I guess it's one way to make sure i run a fast time.

Hopefully all i will have to deal with is Lamia and FE lapping me several times.

As in dancing? :blink:

You'll be fine, you're likeable. I'm a bit of a dick to folk :lol: