How Much Of An Influence Did The Unionist Celebrations In George Square Have On The Vote On Thursday - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

How Much Of An Influence Did The Unionist Celebrations In George Square Have On The Vote On Thursday

The horrible, nasty union celebrations post referendum result have in my opinion helped the SNP gain all westminster seats with the exception of three.

What a horrible bunch, ripping flags from girls hands, starting fights.

So for all you aggressive union jack waving unionists, please note our time is coming,

SOAR ALBA, the dream will never die.

71le3b.png

The horrible, nasty union celebrations post referendum result have in my opinion helped the SNP gain all westminster seats with the exception of three.

What a horrible bunch, ripping flags from girls hands, starting fights.

Presumably most Scottish electors know No voters personally, and are well aware that those few hundred in George Square didn't represent unionists as a whole. Or do you think that your fellow electors are just really really thick?

Presumably most Scottish electors know No voters personally, and are well aware that those few hundred in George Square didn't represent unionists as a whole. Or do you think that your fellow electors are just really really thick?

Not tarring them all with the same brush, but those scenes in george square did not do them any favours.

I don't think it had much of an influence either: it happened months ago and there are a lot of people out there with short memories.

No, I think the SNP's success was down to the fact that they presented the most convincing case to the Scottish electorate, aided by their decent track record in government at Holyrood.

I still never thought I'd see Labour collapse so spectacularly in Scotland though.

No, I think the SNP's success was down to the fact that they presented the most convincing case to the Scottish electorate, aided by their decent track record in government at Holyrood.

That, and Labour being fundily mundily woeful.

That, and Labour being fundily mundily woeful.

Absolutely. They had a wonderful opportunity to present themselves as an alternative to the Tories and their austerity - to be champions for the little guy once again - but they didn't take it.

They also became subject of the latest edition of 'Project Fear' and failed to deal with it properly (and given recent events you'd have thought they might have anticipated that the Tories would go down that road).

I see Tristram Hunt is now being touted as a possible replacement for Ed. If so, it doesn't look like they plan on being the champion of the common man again any time soon.

Apparently ED was too left wing in England and not left wing enough for Scotland.

Worrying

Once of the small, rather childish, pleasures that the election gave me was knowing that the SNP success would have pissed off these Loyalist, Rangers scum (and I make no apologies for describing them as that...it's what they are).

Apparently ED was too left wing in England and not left wing enough for Scotland.

Worrying

If they're seriously considering Hunt - a guy who wouldn't seem out of place at all in Cameron's cabinet - it looks like they have given up on Scotland, at least in the short to medium term.

Bliars legacy.

Yep. Tony the phoney was all about winning; in fact, they haven't been able to win without him.

Once of the small, rather childish, pleasures that the election gave me was knowing that the SNP success would have pissed off these Loyalist, Rangers scum (and I make no apologies for describing them as that...it's what they are).

Now, be fair:

http://forum.rangersmedia.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=275633

Although some don't appear to be taking it very well:

http://forum.rangersmedia.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=282769

Utterly moronic thing to post. The fact you equate unionists with Rangers shows how thick you are.

Exactly the type of thing that the Tories would spout.

Utterly moronic thing to post. The fact you equate unionists with Rangers shows how thick you are.

Exactly the type of thing that the Tories would spout.

I think he's referring to the folks in George Square on the 19th.

Speaking as a Rangers fan myself, I don't see how you can draw any other conclusion other than that they were Rangers fans.

They don't represent me though.

I think he's referring to the folks in George Square on the 19th.

Speaking as a Rangers fan myself, I don't see how you can draw any other conclusion other than that they were Rangers fans.

They don't represent me though.

You may be right and I've misinterpreted what he meant.

Just very tired of the sweeping generalisations of utter pish that swamp this board.

You may be right and I've misinterpreted what he meant.

Just very tired of the sweeping generalisations of utter pish that swamp this board.

I've been clear in the past, the Rangers fans who post on this board are pretty much without exception good lads....Unionists or not.

Apologies for the confusion.

There's no doubt at all though that the trouble on September 19th was organised by a hardcore of loyalist Rangers fans. They're the ones I was referring to.

I agree with that 100%. However as an aside, One observation I would make is how frequently Yes/SNP voters are portrayed as stupid or tribal in our media and indeed on social media. One guy I had a 'discussion' with on Facebook yesterday wondered how many of the 'hordes' who had flocked to the SNP yesterday were 'familiar with the intricacies of SNP economic and financial policy'. Obviously everyone who had voted for anyone else had read the manifesto of the party they voted for from cover to cover.

I think what happened in George Square will have had no effect on the vote at all. At the time I was furious at what the UJ brandishing scum got up to that night (I was also, if I'm honest, very, very drunk) but beyond that, with regard to Thursday, it was an irrelevance. If the result annoyed the knuckle-draggers on view that night it is just an added bonus.

Edited by Pool Q