1997 - Gothenburg - Sweden - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

1997 - Gothenburg - Sweden

was thinking out loud missed the 97 election due to being in Sweden

Any idea who carried all the SNP banners to the game ?

we were getting them passed out going into the game (arguing over who got a banner )

No surprise that the TV cameras showed absolutely no coverage of the crowd

I was there (did my duty by postal vote beforehand) and the SNP signs were everywhere around Gothenburg before, during and after the game. No idea who brought them though?

We stayed in Gothenburg until the weekend and it was a crazy Thursday night / Friday. In the days before internet and mobile phones,being drip fed the news of an end to 18 years of Tory rule and a complete wipeout in Scotland is something that I'll never forget. Least said about the incoming PM the better...

Funnily enough, I was speaking to the person responsible a couple of months ago.

He's a long standing TA guy and SNP member from Edinburgh who doesn't - to my knowledge - post on here so I won't mention his name but he took a lot of grief for going on a Scotball trip many many years ago.

When he turned up in Gothenburg, and he got to his hotel, there was a big box full of the SNP banners that had been sent to the hotel he was staying at. We'd been away since the weekend before and had come up through Copenhagen & Malmo.

To this day he has no idea who actually sent them over and while people obviously knew he was going to the match, he can't recall telling anyone what hotel he was staying in.

Aaid. - think I know who u mean. Mental hospital in Prague springs to mind. I remember meeting a school friend and arguing over whose shot of the placard it was af game. We were all there for a week as well