Just Voted... - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

...for the first time since the Scottish parliament elections 2003. I guess after I left the UK I left all 'that' behind. Just couldn't be arsed with the same stuff over and over again and coming from a 'Labour heartland', my vote literally was wasted whether I used it or not. But the referendum debate really reactivated me. I really felt excited about politics for the first time in a long time (until the 19th of September, clearly).

So now that's a big fat cross next to the SNP for Airdrie and Shotts. Wondering how many other expats let their votes go for so long?

...for the first time since the Scottish parliament elections 2003. I guess after I left the UK I left all 'that' behind. Just couldn't be arsed with the same stuff over and over again and coming from a 'Labour heartland', my vote literally was wasted whether I used it or not. But the referendum debate really reactivated me. I really felt excited about politics for the first time in a long time (until the 19th of September, clearly).

So now that's a big fat cross next to the SNP for Airdrie and Shotts. Wondering how many other expats let their votes go for so long?

:ok:

I was away one place or another for 16 years with the RAF and never voted once. Same here though, the Referendum and subsequent result lit a fire in me.

Good man.

However, rest assured when your vote reaches these shores, you will have dramatically changed into Tam McGumpher, a good Labour man who died in a hoose fire in 1923.

It has crossed my mind.

But the voting slip had a bar code and everything on the back. And I wrapped it in tin foil.

Did my first ex-pat postal vote today too. Didn't even know i was eligible till a few months ago.

Was tempted to vote for the 'Cannabis is safer than alcohol' candidate standing in Glasgow North (their party logo is a cannabis leaf!), but went for the boring old mainstream SNP in the end.

By the way...the UK government has been pumping an impressive amount of money into facebook ads trying to get expats to register. Clearly they think that million extra tories living in the south of Spain were worth targeting...

Cove Sheep alerted me to ex-pats being allowed to vote via Nigel Farage of all people. Not sure why Cove is following that numpty, but both of them got an extra SNP notch. I'm only hoping it travels well and doesn't morph into a blue or red vote by the time it's counted...

Cove Sheep alerted me to ex-pats being allowed to vote via Nigel Farage of all people. Not sure why Cove is following that numpty, but both of them got an extra SNP notch. I'm only hoping it travels well and doesn't morph into a blue or red vote by the time it's counted...

What's the criteria OLAS?

Email I received;

Dear OLAS,

Yes, as an Overseas elector you are qualified to vote in 2 types of elections; UK Parliamentary elections, such as the one to be held on 7 May 2015 and European Parliamentary elections.

Kind regards,

Clare

I did receive an email and letter to my address in Malta saying I was "successful" to be back on the voters role. I never took myself off it to be perfectly honest.

All I did was follow the uk.gov link to be allowed to vote and it all went from there. Glasgow.gov have been really fast with any responses I have requested. :ok:

That said, I am a bit confused to how I actually do vote. All forms were filled in digitally sent via email, and also physically and sent to the address specified.

I have received no postal application to my address yet.

Edited by OLAS

2 votes from me and the missus for Kirsten Oswald in East Renfrewshire seat ... ready for posting ramorra. :ok:

#keepskeletorout

Good on ye. I will be so happy if we get him out. His slimy face will hopefully be about Barrhead less.

Out of interest how does your vote get allocated when an expat - guessing it's the last place where you registered. I think I'm registered for Ayrshire South (Prestwick) so even tho I've not lived there for 15 odd years and not voted in that time my vote would still get counted - is that how it works?

Before moving abroad I last lived in London and may be registered there - are you able to choose where you're vote is allocated as I would have no interest in voting in London.

Out of interest how does your vote get allocated when an expat - guessing it's the last place where you registered. I think I'm registered for Ayrshire South (Prestwick) so even tho I've not lived there for 15 odd years and not voted in that time my vote would still get counted - is that how it works?

Before moving abroad I last lived in London and may be registered there - are you able to choose where you're vote is allocated as I would have no interest in voting in London.

Mine was allocated to my last address where I was registered to vote. I've got no family there anymore and no connection to the place but it looks like I'll be stuck with it until they strike me off for being too foreign.