Dogs - Page 2 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Getting a dog would be fine but take a look at you nearest Dogs Trust instead of buying a puppy or whatever. We've been taking rescue dogs for years and never had a bad one. Lots of dogs needing a home and many already house trained but end up needing a new home because the owner's died or unable to continue looking after it.

The Dogs Trust work with all the dogs in their care so they know the dog's personality and they go into great detail with you to match you with the right dog. Just because it'll be alone while you're at work or whatever doesn't mean you won't get one. Far better than the alternative of staying in the pound.

I sponsor a dog with them, great place, can't get one due to circumstances but this would defo be my first port of call.

would have loved a golden retriever pup, but circumstances dictate thats not possible, so going down the rescue dog route is the best option.

to be honest greyhounds don't really do it for me, to thin and 'flat', but dont have much experience of them so worth a trip to the SGS, the dog trust and sspca to what they have on offer and if it suits our needs, and i certainly don't expect to walk out with a dog after the first visit.

just wary as there are no returns policies really, a dogs for life and all that, but would love my kid to grow up with a close pal to play with.

would have loved a golden retriever pup, but circumstances dictate thats not possible, so going down the rescue dog route is the best option.

to be honest greyhounds don't really do it for me, to thin and 'flat', but dont have much experience of them so worth a trip to the SGS, the dog trust and sspca to what they have on offer and if it suits our needs, and i certainly don't expect to walk out with a dog after the first visit.

just wary as there are no returns policies really, a dogs for life and all that, but would love my kid to grow up with a close pal to play with.

Dogs Trust do take dogs back if it doesn't work out. They re-homed Jack and Viktor before but they were brought back due to issues those people couldn't cope with. Poor wee Jack was returned 23 hours after the woman had taken him because she didn't follow the Dogs Trust advice and let him sleep on her bed the first night. As he wasn't house trained, he not surprisingly pee'd on her bed during the night. Viktor had bad separation anxiety but he hasn't with me - I'm assuming because he had Jack to keep him company till he settled.

We just got a cockapoo puppy last week. Been fortunate as I generally work weekends/some nights and my girlfriend is a regular mon-fri, so there's always someone around. Doing the crate training as I type and left the room - a few whines, but generally not bad. This is something we need to get him used to as there will be days when he's left alone. Definitely agree with what others have said - 8 hours is definitely too long to leave him, but get a dog walker - many of them offer a "puppy service" too where they'll come in a couple of times.

Our wee guy, Barra's great and I would recommend a cockapoo. Apparently they are great with kids too

(so far he's been silent in the crate for 10 minutes. A new record! slowly, but surely he's learning!)

I've got two dogs. Both 7. My oldest boy is coming up on 5. I honestly don't think he'd be as well adjusted, caring and as kind as he is without the dogs.

One is a lurcher that is aloof, the other is a labrador that is an erratic and over friendly monster. Funnily enough it's the lurcher that is his favourite.

Anyone got any experience with cocker spaniel's as facility pets?

It's a breed that has been recommended to us, good with kids etc, can be left alone for periods

Aye, my old dear is on to her fourth one.

The solid colour ones have a reputation for possibly being a bit highly strung; roans tend to be much more laid back.

They have been brilliant with my niece and nephew - very good natured and the current one (still a pup) likes to play.

They like company though, so not a good dog to get if you're going to leave it for long periods (more than two / three hours max.). If left on their own for too long they get bored and can start to chew the furniture.

If you go down the rescue route, it's best not to get too set on one dog breed.

Lots of dogs are good with children - staffies used to be called the 'nanny' dog because they were so good with children (till the neds decided to make them weapon of choice and destroy a perfectly good breed's reputation). There used to be a German Shepherd at my uncle's farm who used to get up on his hind legs and rock my sister's pram when she cried!

If you go down the rescue route, it's best not to get too set on one dog breed.

Lots of dogs are good with children - staffies used to be called the 'nanny' dog because they were so good with children (till the neds decided to make them weapon of choice and destroy a perfectly good breed's reputation). There used to be a German Shepherd at my uncle's farm who used to get up on his hind legs and rock my sister's pram when she cried!

Ah'm greetin' masel after reading that! Edited by Charlie Endell

We got a boxer pup when the wee man was about 3 and we've never regretted it. We've never had an iota of bother with him, but we've employed a dog walker now because of our jobs and his needs as an ever growing dog. The only downside is my allergy to his hair which I discovered when I moved back to Scotland after he had been with us for a year, it can get horrendous sometimes.

Please consider the rescue route before purchasing a puppy. Rescue dogs have so much to offer. Staffordshire Bull Terriers are fabulous and I won't hear a word against them. Generally if you are looking at a badly behaved dog then you are looking at the wrong end of the lead. That said, no responsible rescue will rehome without rigorous checks. Think about that when you think about the back up you'll get post adoption. A puppy and a baby are the idyllic combination. But it is a heck of a lot of work especially when you are sleep deprived.

Got a black lab now, 15 months old and a wee cracker.

Ma weans adore her and I love watching them play on the back garden together.

Would highly recommend this breed with any weans, good as gold and full of fun :ok:

Got a kings charles cavalier well ok it's really the burds, also got a long hairded 3 year old german shepherd, he is still a bit dog agressive at times, great at agility and obedience but soft as shite when my niece and nephew play with him.

Hopefully in a few months a new addition arrives a Belgian Malonois.

Think Jock Strap is more of an expert on the larger breeds than me :ok: .

Had a beast of a lab we used to tie a sledge to for the weans , great breed.

had a pitbull bitch , very maternal and protective of family.

had a collie spaniel rescue dug ,good dug fly , died last year 14 yrs.

currently have his pal a 13yr old staffie bitch ,original not crossed she is great with weans and another crossed staffie bitch at 2yr old who is totally scatty and just wants to play . Most dugs are just what you make them , but i have never left any of my pets alone with a young child no mater how much i trust them , better safe and all that .

Ww are thinking of getting a family dog, our baby is just 8 months old, are we mad??

Also once the wife goes back to work dog would be alone for 3 full days per week, would this be fair?

Leave it a year or two, getting a pup is like having a baby, and you cannae concentrate on bringing it up properly when you knackered from looking after the wean, it'll chew yer house to bits as well when you leave it.

I like the idea of a rescue dog but you never know if you are taking someone else's problems.

Just finished full shampoo after walking the dug in the woods.She enjoyed a full bodyroll in deer crap .Thinks it will make her invisible for sneaking up on the entire herd and taking down a full grown stag no doubt ,with her powerful 10kg frame .

Dugs loveable wee B@stards eh ?