Whiskey - Page 6 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

It bemuses me that folk say they 'enjoy the taste' of whiskey (yeah whiskey).

What a load of pish, the stuff is totally disgusting as is pretty much any hard spirit.

Reminds me of folk saying they enjoy smoking. They like the taste of a cigarette... No you don't

Not one person on here saying they enjoy the taste would drink another drop if there was no alcohol in it.

The same for all the wine snobs. You would not buy another bottle if the booze was taken out.

Blue cheese on the other hand is ing magnificent.

Total load of pretentious pish.

Look up the word opinion in the dictionary.

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No need for a driver. The new footpath from Port Ellen out to Ardbeg is now finished. Takes you to Laphroaig and Lagavulin before ending up At Ardbeg.

Ardbeg also have a very nice cafe/restaurant which should help provide something to soak up any samples.

You'll need a driver for the farm distillery Kilchoman though. It's in the middle of nowhere! Cracking beach nearby though that would provide the perfect spot for a post Slaìnte sleep.

Cheers mate; that's helpful information.

Cheers mate; that's helpful information.

My wife's family is from Caol Ila over at Port Askaig so we go to Islay about 2 or 3 times a year. Brilliant place and if you get the weather there's nowhere better. If you want any other info let me know. I never mind talking about the place! ?

A similar (although also very different effect) comparison might be drinking a bottle of cask strength whisky ( I choose whisky for the taste obviously) in the space of about two hours on an empty stomach. Then comparing that to drinking about 20 pints of beer over 2 days whilst eating loads of food ( the higher the fat content the better). Although you will have consumed about the same amount of alcohol he effect on the body will be very different.

Take the alcohol out of whiskey and admittedly it would not taste like whiskey, so you'd need to replace it with some other highly poisonous and toxic ingredient that would burn the throat off ye / kill you depending on the dose.

But let's just say you could find a non alcoholic replacement for the alcohol in whiskey that 'felt' exactly the same...but with zero pishedness.

I can safely say no-one would ever buy that horrible tasting shite again, ever. It is horrible and the best whiskey = the least horrible tasting drug that gets you pished.

It is like junkies talking about the vintage of their heroin and how one batch or producer is so much 'finer' than the others.

FTR - I have no problem with taking drugs. :wink2:

Take the alcohol out of whiskey and admittedly it would not taste like whiskey, so you'd need to replace it with some other highly poisonous and toxic ingredient that would burn the throat off ye / kill you depending on the dose.

But let's just say you could find a non alcoholic replacement for the alcohol in whiskey that 'felt' exactly the same...but with zero pishedness.

I can safely say no-one would ever buy that horrible tasting shite again, ever. It is horrible and the best whiskey = the least horrible tasting drug that gets you pished.

It is like junkies talking about the vintage of their heroin and how one batch or producer is so much 'finer' than the others.

:lol: Aye, taste is a very personal thing right enough. Some folk jist havnae got any. :lol:

Well folk do compare different types of weed

Well folk do compare different types of weed

oh yeah... and the soon to be gargantuan weed industry is going to be fascinating hunchy. you could write an essay no bother. it is going to be like the wine thing - lots of growers, snobbery but different, much more accessible. Plus the hemp industrial spin off's are and take me at my word, huge.

oh yeah... and the soon to be gargantuan weed industry is going to be fascinating hunchy. you could write an essay no bother. it is going to be like the wine thing - lots of growers, snobbery but different, much more accessible. Plus the hemp industrial spin off's are and take me at my word, huge.

Think you need to get your hole as you seem a bit up tight

FRS I make a wee joke and you go off on one

wow. :-))

The tamb is dead. :wink2:

(edit: sorry man I was agreeing with you.)

Fair play but it came across as being a sarcy dig. Sorry for miss reading it (if it makes a difference I was cooking a curry at the time)

No Bother Hunchy, you do seem a little up tight however and perhaps in desperate need of a blowjob. (Not offering.) You take care now.

"If all fossil fuels and their derivatives, as well as trees for paper and construction were banned in order to save the planet, reverse the Greenhouse Effect and stop deforestation; then there is only one known annually renewable natural resource that is capable of providing the overall majority of the world's paper and textiles; meet all of the world's transportation, industrial and home energy needs, while simultaneously reducing pollution, rebuilding the soil, and cleaning the atmosphere all at the same time... and that substance is -- the same one that did it all before -- Cannabis Hemp... Marijuana!"

http://www.rense.com/1.imagesF/hemp.gif

Here are facts about HEMP taken from various sources.

HEMP FACTS:

1) Hemp is among the oldest industries on the planet, going back more than 10,000 years to the beginnings of pottery. The Columbia History of the World states that the oldest relic of human industry is a bit of hemp fabric dating back to approximately 8,000 BC.

2) Presidents Washington and Jefferson both grew hemp. Americans were legally bound to grow hemp during the Colonial Era and Early Republic. The federal government subsidized hemp during the Second World War and US farmers grew about a million acres of hemp as part of that program.

3) Hemp Seed is far more nutritious than even soybean, contains more essential fatty acids than any other source, is second only to soybeans in complete protein (but is more digestible by humans), is high in B-vitamins, and is 35% dietary fiber. Hemp seed is not psychoactive and cannot be used as a drug. See TestPledge.com

4) The bark of the hemp stalk contains bast fibers which are among the Earth's longest natural soft fibers and are also rich in cellulose; the cellulose and hemi-cellulose in its inner woody core are called hurds. Hemp stalk is not psychoactive. Hemp fiber is longer, stronger, more absorbent and more insulative than cotton fiber.

5) According to the Department of Energy, hemp as a biomass fuel producer requires the least specialized growing and processing procedures of all hemp products. The hydrocarbons in hemp can be processed into a wide range of biomass energy sources, from fuel pellets to liquid fuels and gas. Development of biofuels could significantly reduce our consumption of fossil fuels and nuclear power.

6) Hemp grows well without herbicides, fungicides, or pesticides. Almost half of the agricultural chemicals used on US crops are applied to cotton.

7) Hemp produces more pulp per acre than timber on a sustainable basis, and can be used for every quality of paper. Hemp paper manufacturing can reduce wastewater contamination. Hemp's low lignin content reduces the need for acids used in pulping, and it's creamy color lends itself to environmentally friendly bleaching instead of harsh chlorine compounds. Less bleaching results in less dioxin and fewer chemical byproducts.

8) Hemp fiber paper resists decomposition, and does not yellow with age when an acid-free process is used. Hemp paper more than 1,500 years old has been found. It can also be recycled more times.

9) Hemp fiberboard produced by Washington State University was found to be twice as strong as wood-based fiberboard.

10) Eco-friendly hemp can replace most toxic petrochemical products. Research is being done to use hemp in manufacturing biodegradable plastic products: plant-based cellophane, recycled plastic mixed with hemp for injection-molded products, and resins made from the oil, to name just a very few examples.

HEMP HISTORY

Hemp is among the oldest industries on the planet, going back more than 10,000 years to the beginnings of pottery. The Columbia History of the World states that the oldest relic of human industry is a bit of hemp fabric dating back to approximately 8,000 BC.

Presidents Washington and Jefferson both grew hemp. Americans were legally bound to grow hemp during the Colonial Era and Early Republic.

In 1937 Congress passed the Marihuana Tax Act which effectively began the era of hemp prohibition. The tax and licensing regulations of the act made hemp cultivation unfeasable for American farmers. The chief promoter of the Tax Act, Harry Anslinger, began promoting anti-marijuana legislation around the world.

To learn more about hemp prohibition visit http://www.JackHerer.comor check out "The Emperor Wears No Clothes" by Jack Herer

Then came World War II. The Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor shut off foreign supplies of "manilla hemp" fiber from the Phillipines. The USDA produced a film called Hemp For Victory to encourage US farmers to grow hemp for the war effort. The US government formed War Hemp Industries and subsidized hemp cultivation. During the War and US farmers grew about a million acres of hemp across the midwest as part of that program.

After the war ended, the government quietly shut down all the hemp processing plants and the industry faded away again.

During the period from 1937 to the late 60's the US government understood and acknowledged that Industrial Hemp and marijuana were distinct varieties of the cannabis plant. Hemp is no longer recognized as distinct from marijuana since the passage of the Controlled Substances Act (CSA) of 1970. This is despite the fact that a specific exemption for hemp was included in the CSA under the definition of marijuana.

Even its prohibition was for the benefit of big business I recall. It is a bit of a wonder plant.

Whiskey is an acquired taste, I will give you that much. I used to dislike it too. But being the open minded (save for drugs) type, I gave it a proper go and now really enjoy a dram. I enjoy the variety of tastes and what is behind them all. Don't be fooled by cheap blends - most are still honking and remind me of 5th year disco's and puke.

No Bother Hunchy, you do seem a little up tight however and perhaps in desperate need of a blowjob. (Not offering.) You take care now.

Even its prohibition was for the benefit of big business I recall. It is a bit of a wonder plant.

Yup one of if not the most versatile plant on earth. Most of your list is in the inside of cypress hill's black Sunday album which got me started looking into the history of weed. Looking forward to hearing what the results are from the places that have decriminalisation weed such as Portugal and the states in america.just hope they don't twist it as normal and go on about how those that abuse it are suffering from psychological problems

Choice in weed is very important too.

Anybody ever heard of Rosebank whisky before?

Made in Camelon. Mothballed in 1993 and umpteen rumours of a new distillery but nothing concrete. Brand still owned by Diageo. Worth a good few bob if you have a bottle, it's relatively rare iirc.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rosebank_distillery

Made in Camelon. Mothballed in 1993 and umpteen rumours of a new distillery but nothing concrete. Brand still owned by Diageo. Worth a good few bob if you have a bottle, it's relatively rare iirc.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rosebank_distillery

The new Rosebank distillery is under construction opposite Beancross. Not sure if there are any problems, it seems to be taking an age to build

Interesting, thanks. The misses and I moved house just before Xmas. Still unpacking! When trying to find a home for some stuff the other night, came across a bottle of 21yo (1990 bottled in 2011) Rosebank. Was in a cupboard in utility room. Still in full packaging and unopened. Had never heard of Rosebank, so looked it up and turns out this is worth a bit. Was just going to add to my whisky collection but instead will try and get hold of previous house owners......

Yup one of if not the most versatile plant on earth. Most of your list is in the inside of cypress hill's black Sunday album which got me started looking into the history of weed. Looking forward to hearing what the results are from the places that have decriminalisation weed such as Portugal and the states in america.just hope they don't twist it as normal and go on about how those that abuse it are suffering from psychological problems

Coincidentally read this today on Hearst's wiki page.

In 1937 Hearst used his papers to push for the passage of the Marijuana Tax Act of 1937. Hearst was commended by a conference of judges, lawyers and politicians for "pioneering the national fight against dope" for the anti-marijuana editorials and articles in his papers.[21] In later years, however, Hearst's "pioneering" has been widely viewed as mere pandering to the corporate interests of DuPont, as well as protecting his own substantial forest products interests against the industrial use of hemp.[23][24] Hearst's editorial efforts with respect to the ban on hemp coincide with the court-ordered reorganization of the Hearst corporation's non-publishing assets, mainly mining and forest products, in 1937.[25]

When you think of all the people arrested and criminalized for marijuana... and all to protect some rich kents investments that would have been threatend by the industrial applications of the Hemp plant.

The new Rosebank distillery is under construction opposite Beancross. Not sure if there are any problems, it seems to be taking an age to build

Cool. Last I'd heard they were looking to open and use the old equipment but it got stolen (as scrap metal value I assume), had no idea they were in the process.

:ok:

Interesting, thanks. The misses and I moved house just before Xmas. Still unpacking! When trying to find a home for some stuff the other night, came across a bottle of 21yo (1990 bottled in 2011) Rosebank. Was in a cupboard in utility room. Still in full packaging and unopened. Had never heard of Rosebank, so looked it up and turns out this is worth a bit. Was just going to add to my whisky collection but instead will try and get hold of previous house owners......

Distillery or independent bottler?

It is one of the distilleries that goes for a good price, regardless of the above. Good gesture on ur part too regarding the previous owners

Distillery or independent bottler?

It is one of the distilleries that goes for a good price, regardless of the above. Good gesture on ur part too regarding the previous owners

It's the distiller. Bottle no 2734. Have done some more homework and it's worth waaay too much not to contact rightful owners. (Quotes between £300 and £800).

Coincidentally read this today on Hearst's wiki page.

When you think of all the people arrested and criminalized for marijuana... and all to protect some rich kents investments that would have been threatend by the industrial applications of the Hemp plant.

Heard a story about the tobacco Barron's campaigning to ban hemp which started because the sailors started using off cuts of rope ( which was made from hemp) when there tobacco ran out. It got to the point where they wouldn't bother with tobacco and just smoke rope