Jordan Rhodes Surely Must Get A Call Up? - Page 5 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Jordan Rhodes Surely Must Get A Call Up?

@neaver82

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Has Strachan made any comment about calling Rhodes up?

Umm.. in what way?

He said Rhodes was a great lad, fantastic to have around the squad, and he's earned another look despite having had a tough time being in and out of the blackburn team this season.

Umm.. in what way?

He said Rhodes was a great lad, fantastic to have around the squad, and he's earned another look despite having had a tough time being in and out of the blackburn team this season.

He also said that Rhodes doesn't fit the system. I know that McGhee said that he has changed his game so deserves a call up.

Question was in relation to WGS saying that Rhodes was best with another striker. In that case we'll be going two up front.

Just wanted to know if WGS had made a comment because I haven't seen one.

Only as a final tie breaker eg. If we draw 2-2 v Poland at Hampden and then end up on the same points, goals scored against Gibraltar will become relevant.

However if say we drew 1-1 with Poland and finished on the sane points we'd go above them on away goals (point d in the list above)...

sorry yeah, should have been more clear.

if we lose 1-0 in ireland, it'll matter.

if we're all square head to head, then it's goal difference from all games, including the 6th place team. So it's not all that unlikely that it'll matter. Obviously hoping it doesn't come to that and we get something in ireland (and at hamden against poland), but it would be nice to have the safety net of scoring a lot of goals in case we do need it. The Gibraltar games are not valueless and we've potentially got a job to equal the 7-0s of ireland and poland.

He also said that Rhodes doesn't fit the system. I know that McGhee said that he has changed his game so deserves a call up.

Question was in relation to WGS saying that Rhodes was best with another striker. In that case we'll be going two up front.

Just wanted to know if WGS had made a comment because I haven't seen one.

He's not commented on Rhodes as a lone striker in anything I've seen or heard, so yeah I think it's safe to say we'll be going 2 up when he's playing.

He's not commented on Rhodes as a lone striker in anything I've seen or heard, so yeah I think it's safe to say we'll be going 2 up when he's playing.

I'm all for it. As much as I should say "I'll be happy with 3 points against gib" I think we should pump them.

Fair doos I will be happy with 3 points (I actually did say it) no reason why we can't do what other teams do and really take it to a smaller team. I'd even play rhodes tonight, i think he's good enough. I think the style we play and the players we have will create chances for him and of all the strikers it's Rhodes I'd want on the end of a great chance.

Aye, i'd use tonight as a practice for the 2 up.. at least 2nd half. maybe control the 1st and then come out and go at NI after the break.

Fingers crossed we can hit a decent number against Gib, there's no reason why not. I'm not sure Anya will be as effective. they'll sit deep and Anya's better when there's space in behind. Still, Russell showed quality to play thru people against England, Maloney can take people on and Ritchie has a decent peg and isnt' shot shy so those would probably be the three to play in that game. 2 up and fletcher behind on his own instead of 2 deep mids.

Well I thought Rhodes worked hard and made runs in space and deserves to start on Sunday. I really started to get frustrated and annoyed with Fletcher who seemed to pick the wrong option every time. He had a couple of really decent chances to score and wasted them. Saying that I would still be happy with Fletcher and Rhodes on Sunday.

Well I thought Rhodes worked hard and made runs in space and deserves to start on Sunday. I really started to get frustrated and annoyed with Fletcher who seemed to pick the wrong option every time. He had a couple of really decent chances to score and wasted them. Saying that I would still be happy with Fletcher and Rhodes on Sunday.

Based on tonight, I don't agree that rhodes "deserves" to start on sunday. I thought Naismith was far better and is prob our number one striker. However i agree that rhodes should start on sunday,

me, I love options. I remember when it was Miller or hee haw.

If Fletcher misses another ball across goal because he insists on going for it with his left foot he should be shot. Nobody who can only kick with one foot should be allowed a car worth 260k.

Missed glorious chances against Germany and Ireland because he doesn't have a right foot. Simply just not good enough for a Professional Footballer, that he is basically scared to try and use his right foot, let alone an 'International Striker'. I just wish the people that adore Steven Fletcher would wake up and look at what real International Strikers, with other nations, produce ! To be fair, he has flashes of good link up play but, I'm sorry, I want more than the occasional good link up play from a striker. I want him to score goals, when he has gilt edged chances laid before him !!!

Missed glorious chances against Germany and Ireland because he doesn't have a right foot. Simply just not good enough for a Professional Footballer, that he is basically scared to try and use his right foot, let alone an 'International Striker'. I just wish the people that adore Steven Fletcher would wake up and look at what real International Strikers, with other nations, produce ! To be fair, he has flashes of good link up play but, I'm sorry, I want more than the occasional good link up play from a striker. I want him to score goals, when he has gilt edged chances laid before him !!!

What other nations produce is irrelevant.

Nobody adores him (apart from himself) and if we had someone to definitely replace him, then I'm sure Strachan would be playing them. Fact is that he's being part of a team that's did well in the 4 competitive games we've played and arguably we've looked better when he's played. If we qualify I don't care who scores the goals

I think he's our best option up front - but how he managed to get to the level he has without somebody giving him a kick up the arse and telling him to learn at least rudimentary right foot work is beyond me. It's something we drill into 8 year olds these days - he should be embarrassed.

Based on tonight, I don't agree that rhodes "deserves" to start on sunday. I thought Naismith was far better and is prob our number one striker. However i agree that rhodes should start on sunday,

badger me, I love options. I remember when it was Miller or hee haw.

I prefer Naismith playing deep and making runs beyond the striker/ strikers.

What sold it for me was a ball in the box first half it was a good ball waiting to be attacked but Fletcher was standing static behind the defender and tried to sneak across the back of him but the defender cleared it easily. I was screaming at him to get across the front and he would have scored.

second half a much more difficult ball was fizzed in the box and Rhodes was on his toes diving in front of the defender to get the ball and was unlucky.

That's the difference and against a team like Gibraltar it could be the difference between a hat trick and another game without a goal.

What other nations produce is irrelevant.

Nobody adores him (apart from himself) and if we had someone to definitely replace him, then I'm sure Strachan would be playing them. Fact is that he's being part of a team that's did well in the 4 competitive games we've played and arguably we've looked better when he's played. If we qualify I don't care who scores the goals

What I was trying to point out is that other nations recognised striker actually score goals, whereas ours doesn't, so, in that respect, comparing them is relevant !

I see you have almost 25,000 postings on here so, let's be honest, you must have read the large amount of postings from people that, for some reason, can't see past Steven Fletcher, to the point of adoring him !

However, I do agree that we don't have another obvious top quality alternative. However, in the vein of 'horses for courses' although I don't think that Rhodes has the pace or quality for an International striker against the top nations, I'd be more confident of him putting the ball in the net, when he gets a clear chance, when we are producing a lot of chances against the lesser teams, like Gibraltar, than I would be of Fletcher putting it away !

What I was trying to point out is that other nations recognised striker actually score goals, whereas ours doesn't, so, in that respect, comparing them is relevant !

I see you have almost 25,000 postings on here so, let's be honest, you must have read the large amount of postings from people that, for some reason, can't see past Steven Fletcher, to the point of adoring him !

However, I do agree that we don't have another obvious top quality alternative. However, in the vein of 'horses for courses' although I don't think that Rhodes has the pace or quality for an International striker against the top nations, I'd be more confident of him putting the ball in the net, when he gets a clear chance, when we are producing a lot of chances against the lesser teams, like Gibraltar, than I would be of Fletcher putting it away !

As fans we're all too aware that Fletcher isn't scoring and people can't see past him because as you say there's not a definite alternative.

Rhodes is the better finisher, while Fletcher is probably the better link up player. It's a tough one for Strachan but as long as we keep winning games I'm not too fussed who scores the goals, as much as Id love a forward to start putting them away.

We really missed Naimsith first half.

But in saying that we created 6 or 7 decent chances in the first half but when maloney went off for him we created little in the second half.

its getting the balance right and that's exactly why we play these type of games.

As fans we're all too aware that Fletcher isn't scoring and people can't see past him because as you say there's not a definite alternative.

Rhodes is the better finisher, while Fletcher is probably the better link up player. It's a tough one for Strachan but as long as we keep winning games I'm not too fussed who scores the goals, as much as Id love a forward to start putting them away.

when Fletchers come off in previous games the link up stopped stone dead

his ball for anya v Poland for Maloneys goal was class

Fletcher with Naismith Maloney Anya are our obvious starters up front

Edited by Bino's

Oh dear people using last night for their own agenda again. :wtf:

The people clambering for Rhodes to be called up are now trying to convince us he should start on Sunday in place of Steven Fletcher. Whit?

The first half was when we looked liveliest up front and Fletcher was denied by a cracking save and he set chances up for others. The second half and Rhodes entered the fray and was nowhere near as effective but that is not to slate him as play had become disjointed. It is merely daft to try to say Rhodes should start and Fletcher shouldn't V Gibraltar when we looked more potent up front with Fletcher there.

We didnt tho. Fletcher has some good chances in the first 20 minutes laid on by other that he passed up.

We then drifted out into creating nothing much for the rest of the half.

Start of the 2nd we were again not great. the 20 odd minutes Fletcher had at the start of the 2nd we didnt do much at all.

Rhodes came on for the last 27 minutes and while he didn't have any chances himself we did up the tempo a little in the later part of the game.

So we had a decent period with fletcher on, then a loong poor period with fletcher on and then a short poor period with rhodes on and a short decent period with rhodes on where we scored the winner.

I don't think either of the good or bad period had an awful lot to do with either fletcher or rhodes, they were mostly feeding on the supply (or lack thereof) of others.

I think Rhodes would have done better with the chances fletcher had. Fletcher's had a lot of opportunities and a lot of chances and he's missed all bar one. This is a match we need goals in, so I'd rather 'take the risk' on a player with a great goal scoring record and 3 times as many international goals, than the guy who's not scored for us in over 6 years.

Edited by andyD