Scottish Cup Quarters - Page 17 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scottish Cup Quarters

I disagree. If you look at the team that beat Celtic 2-1 at Christmas, GMS didn't play. You can't explain turning eight games without defeat into seven games without a win by the loss of Stuart Armstrong. In addition, we've strengthened the defence significantly by bringing in McGowan and Dixon.

I think what we sold at the end of January was not so much two good players as our ambition and our right to believe in ourselves as serious contenders in Scottish football. The club may be a million or two richer, but the players have lost their confidence and having a healthy bank balance isn't going to put that back easily.

The season's over, they can't catch Inverness, they'll likely stumble on to fourth or fifth but I hope that lessons have been learned. Sometimes in football belief is worth more than money. The infrastructure at the club is good, there's a conveyor of talent emerging, but it will take time to bring it to fruition in the first team.

not sure I am over estimating armstrong. yes, he had poor games from time to time, but without him we have absolutely nothing coming through the middle. zero creativity. i'll give you GMS - i firmly believed we could cover his loss, but we have no-one close to being able to fill in for armstrong.

strengthened the defence? yet to see the proof of that. hopefully like you say into next season we will.

• Replies 528
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Think everyone will be glad to get these games finished. 6 reds in 3 games a nonsense, but clearly bad blood from one game to the next.

ICT in the semi will be tricky, but Utd away was the hard part.

A good run of league games coming up now & hopefully we can pull away from Aberdeen.

Agreed. just a shame we have another one coming up. point in hand last night though - as per previous emails. Deila mouthing off about mcGowans two footed tackle probably justifiably, but then where was he when Broonie did the same at Tannadcie? At least mcgowan got a red for it, brown didnt even get a foul awarded against him.

Agreed. just a shame we have another one coming up. point in hand last night though - as per previous emails. Deila mouthing off about mcGowans two footed tackle probably justifiably, but then where was he when Broonie did the same at Tannadcie? At least mcgowan got a red for it, brown didnt even get a foul awarded against him.

If you are insisting on bitching about that then maybe you should remember that your player escaped a red card for kicking Scott Brown in the face at Tannadice and your keeper should have been sent off in the first minute last night too.

Get over it

If you are insisting on bitching about that then maybe you should remember that your player escaped a red card for kicking Scott Brown in the face at Tannadice and your keeper should have been sent off in the first minute last night too.

Get over it

Objection. At U Peter is avoiding the question by citing other similar incidents in a textbook display of Whataboutery.

Objection. At U Peter is avoiding the question by citing other similar incidents in a textbook display of Whataboutery.

its pathetic Adam. He also chooses to forget that VVD also escaped a red at Tannadcie for stamping on our players leg. The selective offence is brilliant.

its pathetic Adam. He also chooses to forget that VVD also escaped a red at Tannadcie for stamping on our players leg. The selective offence is brilliant.

I'm pointing out that both teams were treated the same by the officials and that there isn't some sort of bias against your side.

Not really sure what you are on about now tbh.

I mean you seem unable or unwilling to excuse or defend anything to do with Celtic without pointing out what others have done wrong.

It's a bit like Peter Sutcliffe's lawyer arguing that it's not fair to pick on his man because while he may have killed 16, Ted Bundy killed 30.

I mean you seem unable or unwilling to excuse or defend anything to do with Celtic without pointing out what others have done wrong.

It's a bit like Peter Sutcliffe's lawyer arguing that it's not fair to pick on his man because while he may have killed 16, Ted Bundy killed 30.

I'm not excusing or defending anything, I am simply pointing out that both sides received some wrong decisions in their favour over the three games. Not just Celtic, which if you and your mate's greeting is anything to go by, is exactly what you think.

I'm not excusing or defending anything, I am simply pointing out that both sides received some wrong decisions in their favour over the three games. Not just Celtic, which if you and your mate's greeting is anything to go by, is exactly what you think.

Not me. I thought Ciftci, Butcher, Dixon and Dillon all deserved red cards. I haven't seen a good angle of McGowan's.

Also, I thought both Celtic penalties were fair enough.

I see Utd have appealed McGowan's red card, presumably so he can do more damage on Saturday.

He's an absolute certainty to get sent off again if he plays.

Seems a waste of time to me, but I thought the same about VVD and Ciftci so they may as well spin the dice.

Seems a waste of time to me, but I thought the same about VVD and Ciftci so they may as well spin the dice.

Aye, both were baffling - you couldn't rule out this being overturned as well.

If McGowan plays, the fans will be at him from the start & the likes of Brown will be winding him up. A total liability & Jackie Mac should think carefully I'd say.

Didnt think McGowan's stupid lunge was any different from Brown's on Ciftci in the first game.

The only difference being, one was given a straight red whereas the other wasnt even deemed a foul.

Agree with what the United fan said further up about the sale of Armstrong/GMS not being entirely to blame for our collapse - we had plenty of horrendous performances with those two in the team in the last year or so (last year's cup final being a classic example).

I think it's more that the departure of those players has created a bit of a bad relationship between chairman and manager, and this is rubbing off on the players. Perhaps the manager has made it clear, to the chairman, that he is offski and the players dont seem as motivated because of this.

thats just rubbish. I specifically compared the refs treatement of two two footed tackles. one by mcgowan and one by brown. Brown doesnt even lose a free kick for his, mcgowan gets sent off.

I agree with the second course of action for two footed tackles, I just wonder why it never applies to brown.

again the resorting to saying people are greeting just for making a point. greeting, drama queen, terms like this outline your inability to conduct a decent discussion.

Aye, both were baffling - you couldn't rule out this being overturned as well.

If McGowan plays, the fans will be at him from the start & the likes of Brown will be winding him up. A total liability & Jackie Mac should think carefully I'd say.

its bizarre and becoming a farce. agree re mcgowan, he will be on a knife edge if he plays.

thats just rubbish. I specifically compared the refs treatement of two two footed tackles. one by mcgowan and one by brown. Brown doesnt even lose a free kick for his, mcgowan gets sent off.

I agree with the second course of action for two footed tackles, I just wonder why it never applies to brown.

again the resorting to saying people are greeting just for making a point. greeting, drama queen, terms like this outline your inability to conduct a decent discussion.

You really are a sensitive little soul aren't you?

You weren't "making a point", you were whinging about decisions not going the way of United while conveniently over looking the fact that several actually did.