Dave Mackay - Page 2 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Dave Mackay

BremnerLorimerGray

Would be interested if anyone on the board had seen him play , when your read about the calibre of the man and his career you wonder how he would compare with the modern day players , suspect he would go through the likes of John Terry

What about when Gordon McQueen decked David Harvey while they were both playing for Leeds. They had a bit of a disagreement while defending a corner I think, and McQueen just belted him on the nose. Club and International team mates :-)):-))

Managed both DRFC (as did the annoying guy he's about to lamp in the iconic pic) and Zamalek, the team I followed when I worked in Cairo.

mrvfvb.jpg

Sad.

The story behind this famous pic

Mackay revealed the reasons behind his volcanic reaction.

He said: “He was a brilliant little player but a dirty little b******. He kicked me in the leg I’d just come back from breaking twice. If he’d kicked the other one, I could have accepted that. But he kicked the broken one and that really annoyed me. I could’ve killed him that day.”

Mackay was probably being unduly harsh on himself - not least because the idea of any player, even one as fearsome as Mackay, "bullying" Billy Bremner seems scarcely credible.

Edited by Robroysboy

A genuine legend of the game.

People think of Mackay as a Hearts and Spurs player, but often forget that in the 'sunset' of his career, Brian Clough signed him for Derby, where he captained the team to promotion, and next season was named Footballer of the Year. He then went on to manage Derby and won the league with them in 1975.

Clough described Mackay as 'the best signing he ever made'.

Such sad news, but so many happy memories left behind.

Agreed. When I heard it on the radio today they didn't even mention Derby.

To my eternal shame, I didn't even realise he had such a big impact on the Jambos.. I had always known him as Derby and previously Spurs.

Well you'd

Agreed. When I heard it on the radio today they didn't even mention Derby.

To my eternal shame, I didn't even realise he had such a big impact on the Jambos.. I had always known him as Derby and previously Spurs.

Well you'd have been proud of BBC "Scotland" tonight who could not muster up one clip of action from his days with Hearts which included 4 trophy victories, 2 as captain! Disgraceful.