Naughty Scottish Government - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Naughty Scottish Government

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

SNP's flagship corporation tax cut is ditched as Sturgeon unveils new economic strategy

",,, emphasising measures to tackle inequality."

http://www.heraldscotland.com/politics/scottish-politics/snps-flagship-corporation-tax-cut-is-ditched-as-sturgeon-unveils-new-econ.119785946

Edited by exile

Three things stand out with SNP's statement today:

"promoting equality and competitiveness together as two sides of the same coin" - Which of these will lose out when we're making companies more competitive for the global market....

"So we will promote fair work and a living wage"

And then vote against it. Twice.

"we will encourage more women and disabled people into the labour market"

Unless your disability is a mental one, in which case we'll cut away 40% of your services.

What's this thing about the SNP wanting to share all our details with all the agencies. I was down doing the shopping for my gran today and noticed it on the newspaper stand, i just walked past though, as it's probably some spun shiytey headline.

What's this thing about the SNP wanting to share all our details with all the agencies. I was down doing the shopping for my gran today and noticed it on the newspaper stand, i just walked past though, as it's probably some spun shiytey headline.

Admittedly... That's a new one for me.

It wasn't regarding their batshit crazy named person scheme, was it?

Three things stand out with SNP's statement today:

"promoting equality and competitiveness together as two sides of the same coin" - Which of these will lose out when we're making companies more competitive for the global market....

"So we will promote fair work and a living wage"

And then vote against it. Twice.

"we will encourage more women and disabled people into the labour market"

Unless your disability is a mental one, in which case we'll cut away 40% of your services.

Hahahaha. :-)):-)):-))

F*** it, yer right. Should have stuck with a race to the bottom and cut corporation tax. Sturgeon, the right wing b*tch that she is. You've got her sussed already.

Admittedly... That's a new one for me.

It wasn't regarding their batshit crazy named person scheme, was it?

"

SNP government plans to ­create a “super ID” database could breach human rights and data protection laws, civil liberties campaigners have warned.

Proposals to expand the ­National Health Service Central Register will pave the way for a national ID register in Scotland, according to the Open Rights Group (ORG).

The digital rights cam­paigners claim that the consultation is flawed, misleading and could “fundamentally change the relationship between citizen and state”."

http://www.scotsman.com/news/politics/top-stories/snp-s-id-database-plan-threatens-civil-rights-1-3686521

just googled it there will read it later, just saw the headline as i walking into tesco's.

Another day another scunnered anti snp thread. :worried:

Fergus Ewing is shit and needs to be fired but.

In my defence... I posted this the other day, exile brought it back. I was being fairly nice about our government today.

While I'm here, I may as well point out to Auld Reekie that she hasn't actually said she won't cut corporation tax... So she's a selective right wing bitch :wink2:

Before we all start wetting our beds over this database idea, I think we should at least wait and see exactly what information the Scottish government intends to hold and why. If it is very basic personal information, e.g. name, address, date of birth, then I see little harm in the idea. Having to continually inform government departments of changes in circumstance is a nuisance; enabling these departments to 'talk' to each other reduces this. Some data sharing already takes place between government departments and local authorities, and on birth we already are assigned a 'Unique Citizen Reference Number' - our National Insurance Number. We also, under the terms of the Data Protection Act, have a right to view information held on us by most government departments (I suspect MI5 or M16 might not be very forthcoming though).

Could this plan simply be the Scottish Government trying to hit the ground running ahead of the additional powers over tax and state benefits it looks set to gain? In view of the UK government's ropey track record of IT delivery, who can blame them for wanting to be ahead of the game?

I have read a wee bit already and trust me, bed wetting has already begun on social media (albeit some of it in the guise of SNP-bashing). The Jim Killock guy who wrote the Huff Post article seems to be at the centre of the story; perhaps unsurprising given his background.

There's not much specific detail on the SG's plan in the public domain yet though. Maybe that's because the plan itself is still at the nascent stage - or maybe because there is something they don't want us to know. :unsure:

I have read a wee bit already and trust me, bed wetting has already begun on social media (albeit some of it in the guise of SNP-bashing). The Jim Killock guy who wrote the Huff Post article seems to be at the centre of the story; perhaps unsurprising given his background.

There's not much specific detail on the SG's plan in the public domain yet though. Maybe that's because the plan itself is still at the nascent stage - or maybe because there is something they don't want us to know. :unsure:

Yeah my knowledge extends to about glancing at a headline as walking past, reading a thread on here, that being a trigger for me to remember reading that headline, and then Googling it; scanning the article, then posting it here.

I'll wait until I read more in detail before passing judgement... But given the sinister nature of the Scottish Governments Named Person scheme, my money's on it being similarly sinister, and that Nicola Sturgeon is in fact Satan himself.

Edited by Scunnered

I'll wait until I read more in detail before passing judgement... But given the sinister nature of the Scottish Governments Named Person scheme, my money's on it being similarly sinister, and that Nicola Sturgeon is in fact Satan himself.

:lol: I quite enjoy you flagging up questionable actions by the SNP. I would like to think I am aware of these policies so that I can balance those out with the ones I do like.

However it doesnt really change my view that I cant understand anyone supporting or voting for scottish labour at the moment. they have so seriously lost the way. compared to the labour parties actions and policies the snp still appear a far better option.

:lol: I quite enjoy you flagging up questionable actions by the SNP. I would like to think I am aware of these policies so that I can balance those out with the ones I do like.

However it doesnt really change my view that I cant understand anyone supporting or voting for scottish labour at the moment. they have so seriously lost the way. compared to the labour parties actions and policies the snp still appear a far better option.

I would never advocate a vote for Labour... Unless you live in North Ayrshire & Arran (WM) or Lothians (HR). But the SNP are not scrutinised as much as they should be, particularly by their own members.

I would never advocate a vote for Labour... Unless you live in North Ayrshire & Arran (WM) or Lothians (HR). But the SNP are not scrutinised as much as they should be, particularly by their own members.

Own members or own voters? In my experience, SNP members have been pretty good at scrutinizing their party - the NATO debate in recent years being a reasonable example. I certainly don't see how you could say SNP are any less scrutinized by it's members than, say, Labour. In what way do you see Labour members challenging or scrutinizing their own party, which should be fairly evident given the absolutely shambolic state they are in. Similarly, the Tories. Don't get me wrong, there are a fair number of happy clappers but I don't see the SNP being any worse than other parties. Im an SNP member and disagreed with their (now defunct) corporation tax policy, have major concerns about the identity database, behaviour at football legislation, etc, etc.

If it SNP voters you are talking about, a similar argument applies - how much scrutiny have Labour voters applied to the Labour Party? Evidently, not much.

As I said, there is definitely a certain amount of happy clapping goes on but I dont see how you can say SNP is worse than the other parties. Unless of course, it's just because the SNP have more members than the others'.

I never mentioned Labour, but yes all parties are guilty, the SNP however are in government. In my experience a large portion of SNP members have the attitude of "well it's better than Labour"... Which is a pretty shit benchmark to set for governments.

The corporation tax policy isn't defunct by the way, in respect to potential cuts anyway.

So your point is that "parties aren't scrutinized by their members as much as they should" then?

In which case, I agree. :ok:

And I agree that the SNP is full of 'Happy Clappers'. See what we can achieve when we're being civil :ok: