Atp World Tour 2015 - Page 9 - Other Sports - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Atp World Tour 2015

min

Yes he had. He beat Chardy in Rome 6-4 6-3 a couple of weeks ago.

Murray safely through in four sets but you feel he'll need to go up through the gears to beat David Ferrer. More aggression and more in command of points.

I must have heard that a couple of weeks ago before he beat Chardy!

Ferrer is very beatable IMO. Murray is in his best form ever on clay, and Ferrer is on the downslope of a great career. Needs to step up in a few areas, but that's what you need to do in one of the big four tournaments, find your form in week one, peak in week two.

• Replies 500
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's pretty much going to plan for Murray and his game is coming together at the right time. Good to see him serving well today as his poor first serve in the previous round would have cost him against a higher ranked opponent.

Of course the next match will be tougher (it is, afterall, a Grand Slam QF against a top eight opponent), but Murray has nothing to fear. If Ferrer is on the downslope, it is very gradual and he still has plenty to offer, but with the clay form Andy has already shown this season I can only see one winner.

Also worth mentioning that is now Murray's 17th consecutive Grand Slam QF - of the tournaments he has entered - a great achievement, particularly given the problems he had last year!

I would certainly have agreed with your second line last week but Murray has been a little on off with his form since the 2nd Round. Dropping sets against Sousa and Chardy I would have been a little disappointed with last year so am even more disappointed considering the form Andy had coming into the tournament. Ferrer has moved into the QF's pretty smoothly by comparison and clay is his favourite surface and Murray has yet to beat him on the surface. If Murray is too passive like he was for long spells today then Ferrer will grind him down. The key for Murray is aggression - he must control each point and fire off more telling groundstrokes. If he does that he will win.

Federer blown away in straight sets in more ways than one. You sensed a lot of determination from Stan as he played with a real purpose and there is a history of bad blood between the two. Nishikori perhaps not done yet as he has won the third set and Tsonga could easily implode from here.

I would say that displays where Nishikori stands in world tennis. After his great run in the US Open last year people were touting him as joining the big four but sorry this loss rules that out. If that had of been Novak, Rafa or Andy and even Roger at 33 hauling it back from two sets down they would have steam-rollered that final set.

All in all a good day's tennis. Don't think Federer played badly - it was an almost faultless performance by Wawrinka and he has a chance to win the tournament if he continues like that.

I've always had a lot of time for Tsonga, so good to see him back in a major semi - and any tournament maintains a buzz while a home player is still in the draw.

Hoping for a wee rain delay early tomorrow, otherwise I nay not see much of Murray's match...

The more I think of it, very poor scheduling at RG. Everyone with half an interest in Tennis will want to see Nadal v Djokovic, yet it's scheduled to start around the same time as Murray v Ferrer?! Surely they could have been back-to-back on the same court or at least staggered, so that one of the matches was first up on its respective court!!

Absolutely spot on. I have posted the same on another forum. Either have women's quarter first on Chatrier whilst Murray V Ferrer is first up on Lenglen and then fans of the men's and women's singles get to see a big proportion of both quarters. This way both clash unless of course one of the women's quarters runs a lot longer than the other.

At present it looks like Rafa and Novak will be on court first as the women's match on that court before it is racing along with Serena Williams winning the first set 6-1 and already second set is underway. The other women's match before Andy's match is a closer match and is coming to the end of the first set now with the underdog looking set to take the set so that could go the distance and run for around two hours whereas Williams match may be done and dusted in just over an hour.

4-0 Djokovic. I'm not watching but hopefully Rafa can at least be competitive...

Exactly. Would hate to see him get a hammering, especially on that court.