Dons Thread - Page 5 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

I could believe GMS to Aberdeen. Wouldn't like it, but he's out of contract in the summer. He might get a better offer from the English Championship though, I'd certainly hope so. He has said he wants to go to England, but who knows?

Ciftci - nah, under contract for another year after this one and baldy wants £3m.

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd love Ciftci but that's not realistic at all.

GMS is a curious one, I think he's gettable if we pushed the boat out. I'd rather we didn't though. If we're going to spend then I'd rather try and get a left back. A striker who could grab a few goals and take the load off Rooney would be good too.

I agree regarding Ciftci, superb player, but out of our reach.

Apparently we tried to get GMS in the summer. Trying for a pre-contract deal now?

I agree regarding Ciftci, superb player, but out of our reach.

Apparently we tried to get GMS in the summer. Trying for a pre-contract deal now?

Hmmm if we were to sign GMS it'd leave us with an expensive sub, as we can't play Hayes, McGinn, Pawlett, Rooney and GMS! :lol:

You have to laugh at some of the rumours and stories which come out every window.

1. Gauld to Aberdeen in loan - after only a few months in Portugal = no chance

2. Cifti worth £3m - another no chance

3. GMS to Aberdeen slightly more believable but can surely earn a good contract down south?

The problem for clubs with good players like Aberdeen and Utd is the if the players are in the last 18 months of a deal and a silly price is asked for the club could risk losing out on any fee and have a disenchanted player on their hands. Utd although now well off financially are still restricted to what they can pay a player. Aberdeen likewise although probably in a position to say slightly higher wages but not to the extent that they can deny a player the opportunity to earn 4,5,6+ times what they currently earn.

Another sign how money is totally skewing competition.

United decided that they would allow GMS to run his contract down cos they were flush having sold Gauld and Robertson. Pity, but if he can help win something this year then it's a good decision.

United have said £3m for Ciftci. Whether they get it or not is another question, but there's no real imperative to sell until the summer if he won't sign.

Aberdeen and United would be better placed breeding their own young guys than giving big contracts to ready-mades from elesewhere. That's how they got themselves into a mess in the first place.

United decided that they would allow GMS to run his contract down cos they were flush having sold Gauld and Robertson. Pity, but if he can help win something this year then it's a good decision.

United have said £3m for Ciftci. Whether they get it or not is another question, but there's no real imperative to sell until the summer if he won't sign.

Aberdeen and United would be better placed breeding their own young guys than giving big contracts to ready-mades from elesewhere. That's how they got themselves into a mess in the first place.

Absolutely but 'managing contracts' is key to that. By that I mean trying to prevent players leaving for free when there has been an opportunity to get a good fee. Not talking about taking token fees but significant ones in these instances.

Keeping fees rolling in allows clubs to build their facilities to train at and have a dedicated academy structure.

That is what I am hoping Aberdeen do once the new training ground is built.

There will always be an opportunity to bring in a slightly more experienced player but it will never be on daft money again - those days are long gone.

When Rasellik lose to Killie tonight they'll go into mental panic buying mode...... Shifty, GMS, Armstrong, Pawlett and Langfield will all put crayon to paper at the Legodome by 09.15 tomorrow morning.

You have to laugh at some of the rumours and stories which come out every window.

1. Gauld to Aberdeen in loan - after only a few months in Portugal = no chance

2. Cifti worth £3m - another no chance

3. GMS to Aberdeen slightly more believable but can surely earn a good contract down south?

The problem for clubs with good players like Aberdeen and Utd is the if the players are in the last 18 months of a deal and a silly price is asked for the club could risk losing out on any fee and have a disenchanted player on their hands. Utd although now well off financially are still restricted to what they can pay a player. Aberdeen likewise although probably in a position to say slightly higher wages but not to the extent that they can deny a player the opportunity to earn 4,5,6+ times what they currently earn.

Another sign how money is totally skewing competition.

I don't think anyone is really being serious in this thread about signings!!! Good grief....

I don't think anyone is really being serious in this thread about signings!!! Good grief....

How dare you! :shocked:

The boy Taylor-Sinclair who left Partick and isn't getting a game down South is coming in on loan though. Means we'll have 2 full-backs. We really are being spoiled.

How dare you! :shocked:

The boy Taylor-Sinclair who left Partick and isn't getting a game down South is coming in on loan though. Means we'll have 2 full-backs. We really are being spoiled.

Is he really? Looked a decent player at Partick.