Match Thread - Ireland - Page 8 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Match Thread - Ireland

Clyde1998

Some one who doesn't seem to be getting plaudits is Steven Whittaker. He was a breath of fresh air at right back. So much superior to Hutton. He tackles and wins the ball back, wins headers and get up and down the park and delivers better delivery. More of the same please.

Yes I praised him in a couple of threads. He was solid and comfortable on the ball and good passing from the back as well. He epitomised where I think we are stronger than Ireland.

Squad depth is stronger for us. Whittaker was perhaps third choice (after Hutton and Bardsley) at right-back yet came in and did an excellent job. The same was the case in midfield with Morrison out his replacement (Mulgrew) was the man of the match in many people's eyes. In goal a year or two back McGregor came in to ably deputise for Gordon and now Marshall is doing the same. I thought Snodgrass would be a big miss but we have plugged that gap with the likes of Maloney's form. Ireland had a couple or three players out last night and their deputies weren't able to fill the gap quite as well.

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Was a tense night, you could sense it in the atmosphere, and it was clear that Ireland were playing for a point first, they really made themselves hard to beat. Main thing is we got the job done and it was a superbly worked goal that won it. Glad to be proven wrong for once on those bloody short corners that never work. :lol:

We would've taken ten points from the first four games that have included, arguably, our two toughest away trips and one of our biggest home matches. Let's hope this continues and we can end our long wait for a major finals appearance.

Aye, we would have but we only have 7 points, still not too bad.

Not fair on either side. Ireland play a limited game, which isn't pleasant on the eye, but they are effective at it. Defend in numbers, launch it whenever possible, rely on one of the best goal-scorers of the past 20 years in Robbie Keane for the odd goal. In their last away game they beat the world champions, who had beaten us a few weeks earlier. They play the sort of football you would expect from a team set out by O'Neill and Roy Keane, based I guess on the players they have available. I was a bit surprised at how just physical they were, but on another night they could daily have left with a win. They'll be in the mix come the end of the group. Last night was a good performance by Scotland to beat a hard opponent. Now Georgia are shite, we should have skelped them at Ibrox.

No they didn't, they drew with Germany

Awful muck from Ireland last night. Even the RTE pundits roundly agreed that Scotland deserved to win it. I had said before the game that Ireland have to have some sort of threat going forward and they showed almost none of that. They had a chance here or there, but it was all reliant on luck. Seems like the whole team got booked as well. On the upside that new 'BOOOOOOO' lad playing for Ireland seems like a keeper. On the downside, Ireland's tactics and prospective talent means the team appears to be on a fairly unavoidable downward trajectory. I can only thank god that we have those fantastic Carling Cup memories to get us through these dark times. /S

Well done, Scotland, ye slick goal-scoring hoors ye.

Gutted over that result.

Well done Scotland. No complaints.

Feck it if we don't qualify we'll have to hop on yere bandwagon in France.

If we don't make it I really hope Scotland do.

Hopefully we'll sort ye out in Dublin before it gets to that ;)

Some one who doesn't seem to be getting plaudits is Steven Whittaker. He was a breath of fresh air at right back. So much superior to Hutton. He tackles and wins the ball back, wins headers and get up and down the park and delivers better delivery. More of the same please.

I think that's harsh on Hutton. There's been games when Hutton played well and or Whittakers had a nightmare. Think under Strachan generally we are more organised and individual errors are kept to a minimum