Water - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

I know there are a lot of hill walkers/climbers so hope you can help. I'm heading out this weekend and would like to go for good hill walk and swim. Does anyone know of any hills that have swimmable loch or pool at the top, preferably within about 2 hour drive of Glasgow? I usually go to a nice place but it has sheep on the hillside and I'll probably have a dog with me this weekend.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know there are a lot of hill walkers/climbers so hope you can help. I'm heading out this weekend and would like to go for good hill walk and swim. Does anyone know of any hills that have swimmable loch or pool at the top, preferably within about 2 hour drive of Glasgow? I usually go to a nice place but it has sheep on the hillside and I'll probably have a dog with me this weekend.

Love you!

You have no idea.. ring me, now!

Fuqqin/ doll!

Sp release me and let me kove again... starr ya nutter!

Edited by Wibble

I'm off to bed now but if you'd read emails or my posts (yes, even if they are boring!) you'd know my phone died and all my numbers went with it. So please e-mail your number so I can phone you from on top of a hill on Saturday to tell you if I have hypothermia again. :unsure:

I'm off to bed now but if you'd read emails or my posts (yes, even if they are boring!) you'd know my phone died and all my numbers went with it. So please e-mail your number so I can phone you from on top of a hill on Saturday to tell you if I have hypothermia again. :unsure:

Doll - ring ne!

I find it worrying (and psychologically interesting) that Wobble seems turn into fifteen year old girl when drunk. "Love you!!!!! Call me!!!!!"

What makes you think he had been partaking of the falling down water?

Couple in Glenshee. Loch Vrotochan up near the Cairnwell. Loch Callater on Jock`s Road.

Does it have to be at the top??

Loch Vrotachan is a good idea. Loch Etchachan as well under Ben Macdhui but might take you more than a couple of hours to reach! Here's some more ideas. Loch Enoch. Has a nice gravel beach, and an island you can swim out to... with its own mini loch!

http://www.streetmap.co.uk/idld.srf?x=244500&y=585500&z=120&sv=244500,585500&st=4&mapp=idld.srf&searchp=s.srf&dn=607&ax=244500&ay=585500&lm=0

Lochan a' Chaisteil above the waterfall on the Beinn Ghlas burn. Surrounded by rock and a suntrap on a warm sunny day:

http://www.streetmap.co.uk/idld.srf?x=234500&y=718500&z=120&sv=234500,718500&st=4&mapp=idld.srf&searchp=s.srf&dn=607&ax=234500&ay=718500&lm=0

Lochan nan Cat. Spectacular situation below Ben Lawers, the earlier in the day you get there, the better:

http://www.streetmap.co.uk/idld.srf?x=264500&y=742500&z=120&sv=264500,742500&st=4&mapp=idld.srf&searchp=s.srf&dn=607&ax=264500&ay=742500&lm=0

This is why I love this place. Thank you Bob and Deedee, I'll have a proper look at all details later and hopefully be freezing my ears off somewhere different and lovely on Saturday. :ok:

Biffer, :-)):-))

Even better, he said he was calling me but no missed calls so goodness knows what soul was getting his sing song calls.

Thank you both once again, didn't manage to travel too far today, stuck to Trossachs but heading to further afield next week next week to try Loch Callater on Saturday and Loch Enoch on Sunday. I may have directions completely wrong and be travelling all over the place but going to give it a go anyway as both look beautiful and good walks too. Hope to try them all before New Year's day and traditional Mugdock swim. :ok:

Thank you both once again, didn't manage to travel too far today, stuck to Trossachs but heading to further afield next week next week to try Loch Callater on Saturday and Loch Enoch on Sunday. I may have directions completely wrong and be travelling all over the place but going to give it a go anyway as both look beautiful and good walks too. Hope to try them all before New Year's day and traditional Mugdock swim. :ok:

A bike is handy for Loch Callater. Really good track up there, very fast going back down to the main road. Some phone photies from the last time i was there https://www.flickr.com/photos/taburetka/sets/72157646675226530/

Take it you've got a wetsuit??

Yes, as I said to another poster I only have the best, £19.99 shortie wetsuit from Lidl about 5 years ago. I love turning up at lochs and meeting triathlon swimmers in their £300 suits, watches that tell time, depth, distance and temp', nose clips, etc but they stop swimming in September 'cos it's cold! (sorry I was out with one of that lot tonight so I'm having a private dig.) Was hoping to have ditched the wetsuit this year and only use swimsuit, socks and gloves but maybe by next winter.

A bike is handy for Loch Callater. Really good track up there, very fast going back down to the main road. Some phone photies from the last time i was there https://www.flickr.com/photos/taburetka/sets/72157646675226530/

That looks stunning. No bike I'm afraid but my 'driver' will have his I'm sure. I find cycling too scary on roads never mind shooting down fast tracks.

Edited by G-Man

That looks stunning. No bike I'm afraid but my 'driver' will have his I'm sure. I find cycling too scary on roads never mind shooting down fast tracks.

It`s a pretty good track. Not scary at all. Only fast because i got a bit carried away on the way down. It`s not steep and there`s no traffic.

It`s a pretty good track. Not scary at all. Only fast because i got a bit carried away on the way down. It`s not steep and there`s no traffic.

http://www.tricyclesales.co.uk/Item/Brands/Kentex/Classic_Tricycle.aspx

This is my bike or rather trike. I'm a serious sheitebag and 2 wheels scare me and I fall over a lot so this was the answer and my wee dog sat comfortably in the basket on the back. Getting 'carried away' on this is bit difficult!

Never ever tilt your head when saying hello to someone you suspect of having some sort of disability. People constantly tilt their heads and say in areally patronising tone, "hello" when I tricycle past. Very annoying. <_<

Edit, mine is red, racing red I think.

Edited by G-Man