Ryan Christie - Deep role in midfield? - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Ryan Christie - Deep role in midfield?

DesiScotsman

I was at the Manchester United vs AFC Bournemouth game yesterday. Both Scott McTominay & Ryan Christie involved in opposition sides so a good chance to see them up against one another. But one thing that I was more intrigued to watch was Ryan Christie playing in a deep lying playmaking role. The only times I have seen him play live is either on the wing or in a attacking number 10 postion or even as a secondary striker. Never from deep. He got rave reviews in midweek for his performance in that role against Crystal Palace and judging by the comments from the Bournemouth fans and the media that follow Bournemouth more closely than I do, he has played a huge pivotal role in Bournemouth's recent good form, since being switched to that role from his more favoured attacking one, which sees them as the 2nd most inform team in the Premier league after SJM's Aston Villa.

I thought just like the rest of the Bournemouth team yesterday, he was absolutely terrific in that positon. Literally strolled through it without getting out of 2nd gear in horrible conditions. He had Bruno Fernandes tucked away in one pocket and his international team mate Scott McTominay tucked away in the other. His vision from deep is very good. The way he was able to pick out passes and start attacks from deep and on the counter was really impressive. Also didn't shirk away from any challenges when he needed to get stuck in to win that midfield battle. When the opportunities arose he got forward to support the attack as well, so just wasn't standing stationery all game in front of the defence, he was trying to get involved over at the other end as well. I can see why Bournemouth play him in this postion and why their form has been really good in recent weeks.

Something maybe for Steve Clarke to have a little consideration over? Of course Billy Gilmour and Calum McGregor are the favoured two players for that postion in the team but Ryan Christie's performances for Bournemouth in that role certainly won't be something that is easy to ignore. 

Edited by DesiScotsman

Christie has always been a very clever footballer and that deeper role might be perfectly suited for him. (more of the play in front of him) He was outstanding yesterday and the whole Bournemouth midfield sussed United out from first minute, Ryan Christie prominent among them. The Basque guy looks like a great manager and hopefully he can keep improving Christie's skill set and in game management. 

Another good choice for SSC to have next summer. 

If Christie continues to play in this role and his good form also  continues, then it’s excellent for the squad to have him be so flexible. It maybe worth playing Christie instead of McGregor in some of the upcoming friendlies at the very least to give McGregor a rest. McGregor plays a lot of games during the season. 

I think Christie has always been a hard worker with incredible stamina. He tackles and battles hard most games as well and has good ability on the ball. Playing the deeper role in midfield might be an option for Clarke especially if we get injuries to the likes of McGregor and gilmour.

The upcoming friendlies would be a good place to try him out there. 

10 hours ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Whether they are or not one goal conceded in two games suggest he was not a disaster there.

Norwich fans saying he is much better there than Shane Duffy though that's maybe not saying much🤣

Norwich played him in a 4-2-3-1, imagine Clarke tried the same formation we could potentially line up without a centre back (McLean & Tierney) 

19 hours ago, Scot1 said:

If Christie continues to play in this role and his good form also  continues, then it’s excellent for the squad to have him be so flexible. It maybe worth playing Christie instead of McGregor in some of the upcoming friendlies at the very least to give McGregor a rest. McGregor plays a lot of games during the season. 

Totally agree McGregor especially &  McGinn play too much club football so whenever we're not playing a competitive game we should only play them one half maximum.

Really hope Christie can keep this level of performance up, that'll make him at that very least a great asset for us from the bench it might also free up a place in the 23 for Doak or Barnes.

• 3 months later...