Euro 2024 Germany 5 city Itinerary aka German Interrailing for older gits ! - Euro 2024 - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Euro 2024 Germany 5 city Itinerary aka German Interrailing for older gits !

WeeJohnny

Me and my pal (big Mike for those that know us) just nailed our itinerary and thought i'd share it in case anyone else is thinking about doing a couple of other towns where we aren't playing and in case any lone soldiers want to meet up:-

(all June)

Munich Wed 12th to Sat 15th (3 nights)

Leipzig Sat 15th to Mon 17th (2 nights)

Cologne Mon 17th to Thu 20th (3 nights)

Nuremberg Thu 20th to Friday 21st (1 night)

Stuttgart Fri 21st to Monday 24th (3 nights)

Rail pass for four days in any month = €206 or €275 1st.

I'm based down south and booked Lufthansa 13.50 on Wed 12th Heathrow to Munich and back Swiss from Stuttgart via Zurich on Monday 24th leave 19,20 arr 21.45. it was about £350 but that was biz class as you get the seats, luggage, fast track, lunge, food and drink thrown in so it was only marginally more than standard.      

Cannae wait !

🖖👍🏻🥃sounds great. 
feeling spoiled for choice atm . Know where I wanted to be based for an initial two weeks myself. Knowing the dates and venues  times for the first three is good. Summer solstice somewhere over there will be interesting. 
went from me myself and I to at least another couple, most likely another 5 already. The Germany are wanting a festival of football at a time of shite. 
IMO football is the planet’s most popular team sport because of so many reasons. 
my dreams and delusions have been my most faithful company. Supporting the Scotland National football team is the oldest relationship I have. 
Hope those of us living in peace continue 

That's when we are gonna do nurenberg. Try to forget the association with the trials - it has supossed to be a pretty town. We managed to get a really nice hotel for a good rate. Do let us know on here if anyone decides to do the same as would be up to arranging a wee sesh.  

On 12/3/2023 at 8:44 PM, WeeJohnny said:

Me and my pal (big Mike for those that know us) just nailed our itinerary and thought i'd share it in case anyone else is thinking about doing a couple of other towns where we aren't playing and in case any lone soldiers want to meet up:-

(all June)

Munich Wed 12th to Sat 15th (3 nights)

Leipzig Sat 15th to Mon 17th (2 nights)

Cologne Mon 17th to Thu 20th (3 nights)

Nuremberg Thu 20th to Friday 21st (1 night)

Stuttgart Fri 21st to Monday 24th (3 nights)

Rail pass for four days in any month = €206 or €275 1st.

I'm based down south and booked Lufthansa 13.50 on Wed 12th Heathrow to Munich and back Swiss from Stuttgart via Zurich on Monday 24th leave 19,20 arr 21.45. it was about £350 but that was biz class as you get the seats, luggage, fast track, lunge, food and drink thrown in so it was only marginally more than standard.      

Cannae wait !

I thought that they were introducing a special rail pass for fans with tickets 

there is also a monthly pass that was 50 Euros talked about?

46 minutes ago, fazlikeus said:

I thought that they were introducing a special rail pass for fans with tickets 

there is also a monthly pass that was 50 Euros talked about?

There is a 49 euro pass- but only on regional trains ( not ICE or high speed).

Could possibly go long distance by breaking up your journey , but that would need a lot of planning

21 minutes ago, stirlish said:

Could possibly go long distance by breaking up your journey , but that would need a lot of planning

21 minutes ago, stirlish said:

Ive booked hotels for the three venues for 2-4 days so have a 2-3 days inbetween each venue so plenty time for stop overs on the way. just made sure we had somewhere to stay on day before and the match day. Prices were flying up as i was booking after the draw

On 12/3/2023 at 7:11 PM, KY87 said:

Any good recommendations  where to be based on the Thursday between Cologne and Stuttgart?

Im staying in heidelburg only half an hour by train to stuttgart.For the cologne game im staying in koblenz.Far cheaper than the venue cities.Also will be staying in nuremberg for the munich game.

On 12/3/2023 at 7:11 PM, KY87 said:

Any good recommendations  where to be based on the Thursday between Cologne and Stuttgart?

Im staying in heidelburg only half an hour by train to stuttgart.For the cologne game im staying in koblenz.Far cheaper than the venue cities.Also will be staying in nuremberg for the munich game.

1 hour ago, TA-West Germany said:

As posted somewhere else: I heard in Radio last week that they plan on having 30€ tickets one way for ICE trains for match ticket holders. Did not find anything online on that yet.

cheers, will keep an ey out im sure someone will spot it. now the just waiting for the ticket fiasco to begin!

As posted somewhere else: I heard in Radio last week that they plan on having 30€ tickets one way for ICE trains for match ticket holders. Did not find anything online on that yet.

They go on sale on 17th Jan, one return journey per match ticket. Limited though not sure to how many! 

On 12/3/2023 at 7:55 PM, WeeJohnny said:

That's when we are gonna do nurenberg. Try to forget the association with the trials - it has supossed to be a pretty town. We managed to get a really nice hotel for a good rate. Do let us know on here if anyone decides to do the same as would be up to arranging a wee sesh.  

Nuremberg is a lovely city - had our summer cycling holiday start and finish there in September last year. Loved it

21 hours ago, saintydave said:

They go on sale on 17th Jan, one return journey per match ticket. Limited though not sure to how many! 

https://www.bahn.de/angebot/aktionsangebote/fan-ticket-fussball

Information online now yeah. Quite a good deal. Sale starts on 17th Jan as you said. Limited to availability. This usually means with Deutsche Bahn that only a few go with this entry price. 

6 hours ago, TA-West Germany said:

https://www.bahn.de/angebot/aktionsangebote/fan-ticket-fussball

Information online now yeah. Quite a good deal. Sale starts on 17th Jan as you said. Limited to availability. This usually means with Deutsche Bahn that only a few go with this entry price. 

You think this means reservation is included with the 2nd class too? 

A “DB Ticket Euro 2024” for a one-way trip costs 29.90 euros in 2nd class and 39.90 euros in 1st class including seat reservation.

Also, I'll be travelling from Zurich into Muinch on dB service, gonna be valid on that or only within Germany?

1 hour ago, saintydave said:

You think this means reservation is included with the 2nd class too? 

A “DB Ticket Euro 2024” for a one-way trip costs 29.90 euros in 2nd class and 39.90 euros in 1st class including seat reservation.

Also, I'll be travelling from Zurich into Muinch on dB service, gonna be valid on that or only within Germany?

no, it's always without reservation. But there is a board bistro with Weizen so that's easy in case train packed 🙂

I doubt this will be valid once you cross the German border. 

On 12/6/2023 at 9:40 AM, saintydave said:

Just wondering how you will prove you have match tickets as they aren't going to appear in a uefa app until a few days before the games.

3 minutes ago, thesaint said:

Just wondering how you will prove you have match tickets as they aren't going to appear in a uefa app until a few days before the games.

There's gonna be a "euro 2024 fan pass" available for free to all ticket holders. As per the ticket holder benefits section on the uefa website 

10 hours ago, saintydave said:

There's gonna be a "euro 2024 fan pass" available for free to all ticket holders. As per the ticket holder benefits section on the uefa website 

I assume these train tickets will only allow you to travel within a certain time frame around the game you have a ticket for. Till then you’ll have your match ticket downloaded 

8 hours ago, AlfieMoon said:

Couple of games over in Leipzig I fancies but it seems a bit out of the way for our games.

If we’d ended up playing there I was looking at staying in Dresden which looks decent. 

So happy we don’t play there. Even though Leipzig is a beautiful city, their club Red Bull is much hated over here. Also far away from Cologne 😎 Dresden is my fav city. Great architecture and town centre. And loads better local supporters ☺️

I assume these train tickets will only allow you to travel within a certain time frame around the game you have a ticket for. Till then you’ll have your match ticket downloaded 

The way I read it is a single or return ticket to any match city from wherever you are travelling in Germany, in theory anyone can purchase them but the fan pass will act as a rail card which will be required to be shown along with the ticket for inspection.

On 12/5/2023 at 9:08 PM, quartyman said:

If you've no been before Heidelburg is a cracking town. For year's we did road trips through Europe for our summer holidays, Heidelburg was always our first stop after coming off the Ferry at Ijmuiden.

I'm planning of staying there for the first week of the Euros.