Formation - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Formation

Diamond Scot

For those that like 4 at the back, what games have we performed well in when playing it?

We dont appear to have the midfield players who give proper protection and then we dont appear to have the defenders who are good enough to not need the protection.

I also think we are poorer going forward with 4 at the back. Not least as our full backs are better as wingbacks but also we seem to struggle to move / take the ball into midfield as easily. 

Guys like Hendry always look solid in a 3 but we seem so disjointed in a 4.

Personally I think 5 at the back has given Scotland an identity. Obviously you want Tierney as the LCB however we need to find somebody who plays the same style as backup. For me thats Kingsley at Hearts who I dont think is as good a defender as Cooper, McKenna or Hanley but he plays the LCB role better. 

Playing centre of the 3 then is ready made for the likes of Hanley, Cooper, McKenna or Hendry.

I also think playing 2 close behind the striker suits us better than the 3.

If we have Tierney, Robertson and Hickey fit then it's definitely the best formation.

What the last couple of games have shown is that we're a decent side when we're at full strength but very vulnerable when we have some key players out. We just don't have the squad depth that other nations do.

I know it was an almost meaningless game last night but the standard of defending against a very average side (with the exception of Bobb who looks quality) was worrying. 

I felt a bit sorry for Brown last night as he got almost zero service so hopefully won't be judged on that game alone. 

8 minutes ago, JandC said:

If we have Tierney, Robertson and Hickey fit then it's definitely the best formation.

What the last couple of games have shown is that we're a decent side when we're at full strength but very vulnerable when we have some key players out. We just don't have the squad depth that other nations do.

I know it was an almost meaningless game last night but the standard of defending against a very average side (with the exception of Bobb who looks quality) was worrying. 

I felt a bit sorry for Brown last night as he got almost zero service so hopefully won't be judged on that game alone. 

Theres no question that those playing this break arent of the same quality but even in the games with Robertson etc we look poor when playing a 4. Specifically remember away in Isreal and some others. We seem disjointed but also the midfield appear incapable of providing the cover.

Every single one of our centre backs look significantly better as a back 3.

Think Clarke has used the last 2 games to go 4 at the back so we do not need to rely s heavily on Tierney (I think Clarke knows 3 games over 8 days or so in June with Tierney could prove to be to much)

He could have easily played Cooper or McKenna in this role like he has done in the past, but think he just wanted to try a new system.

This is why I am surprised that Clarke has not approached Matt Targett at Newcastle, and (granted not full time) he gets used in a similar fashion as we use Tierney.