Golden Late Goals - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Golden Late Goals

Caledonian Craig

A scary thought is that we would have been going into Sunday's match needing a win to qualify but for our late goals in this group. We turned zero points into three with two goals in the last four minutes in Oslo with goals from Dykes and McLean and turned zero points into a point in Tblisi with Lawrence Shankland's equaliser in the 93rd minute. That is a four point swing so group could have looked a lot different if not for this valuable trait we now seem to have to keeping going right until the end.

Without those late goals Norway would now be on 13 points and we would be on 12.

6 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

No I don't call it luck. Scotland teams of old on equalising would have shut up shop and been satisfied with the point but not this team. They pressed for and got the winner so would not call that lucky.

Couldn't agree more.  In the past when we've been beaten, having dominated games, there's always cries of the opposition making they're own luck, so why when we do it, we're just plain old lucky? 🤔

Edited by todd

7 hours ago, Caledonian Craig said:

A scary thought is that we would have been going into Sunday's match needing a win to qualify but for our late goals in this group. We turned zero points into three with two goals in the last four minutes in Oslo with goals from Dykes and McLean and turned zero points into a point in Tblisi with Lawrence Shankland's equaliser in the 93rd minute. That is a four point swing so group could have looked a lot different if not for this valuable trait we now seem to have to keeping going right until the end.

Without those late goals Norway would now be on 13 points and we would be on 12.

A very good point made. Just imagine the nerves on here if we hadn’t scored those late goals in Oslo & Tbilisi 😬

53 minutes ago, DesiScotsman said:

A very good point made. Just imagine the nerves on here if we hadn’t scored those late goals in Oslo & Tbilisi 😬

Indeed. It just shows how important a trait and ability to keep going until the end is. It is something we have been devoid of in recent times but seem to have it now.

If we had lost in Oslo, which we could so easily have done, we would be at least needing a draw on Sunday and we would all be getting very nervous round about now. 

I must admit I would be looking forward to the Norway game more if something was riding on it (except the possibility of pot 2 which won’t be much of an advantage over pot 3) but obviously I’m glad we don’t need anything from the game. 

35 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

If we had lost in Oslo, which we could so easily have done, we would be at least needing a draw on Sunday and we would all be getting very nervous round about now. 

I must admit I would be looking forward to the Norway game more if something was riding on it (except the possibility of pot 2 which won’t be much of an advantage over pot 3) but obviously I’m glad we don’t need anything from the game. 

Especially glad considering our injury list but suppose it is countered by Norway's injuries with Odegaard out and Haaland perhaps out too.