Clarke has a massive opportunity to make history in Germany - Euro 2024 - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Clarke has a massive opportunity to make history in Germany

GroundsKeeper

It's Scotland - we will find a way to not get out of the group like;

74 - Goal Difference

78  - Goal Difference

82 - Goal Difference

86 - 3 qualified out of our group and we only needed 2 points - got 1

90 - Costa Rica

98 - Our worst yet with the exception of 86

Apart from that you also have to remember Clarke's team has to prove that they wont shit the nest when the chips are down and ignoring Norway away which was a freak of nature there is no evidence to suggest that won't happen again

Re last euros.

Czech game could have went either way, we lost

England, could have won it but could argue a draw was a fair result.

Croatia, outclassed they were a different level.

How much have we progressed.

France will win the tournament so getting beat in Lille was no disgrace.

Beat Spain at home and could have got a result in Spain if we didn't have a dodgy ref.

I am not reading too much into the england freindly, we never showed up but I will say Che Adams for me is not international standard.

We can progress in Germany, but a kind draw would also help. So lets win next two games and I think Pot 2 should be guaranteed.

🤞

20 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

And, Daniel Fonseca's 96th minute winner.

Indeed

Narrowly lost to Brazil and we are out again

Then - maybe not we could still be in

Then - naw we are oot

Thankfully i never knew about that scenario until after i was home

2 hours ago, Ally Bongo said:

Indeed

Narrowly lost to Brazil and we are out again

Then - maybe not we could still be in

Then - naw we are oot

Thankfully i never knew about that scenario until after i was home

Did it take you quite a while to stagger up the road? The Uruguay game was the next day. 😂 

I went back to the same pub the next day to watch the Uruguay game. Everybody else thought we were already out, and thought that I was mental when I tried to tell them that we weren't out yet. I couldn't convince them, and they couldn't understand why I was totally pissed off when Fonseca scored after 6 minutes of injury time. Sometimes being able to count, and understanding FIFA regulations is just a curse. I still had hope when none else in the pub did. It's the hope that gets us.

2 hours ago, Orraloon said:

😂l went back to the same pub the next day to watch the Uruguay game. Everybody else thought we were already out, and thought that I was mental when I tried to tell them that we weren't out yet. I couldn't convince them, and they couldn't understand why I was totally pissed off when Fonseca scored after 6 minutes of injury time. Sometimes being able to count, and understanding FIFA regulations is just a curse. I still had hope when none else in the pub did. It's the hope that gets us.

I remember poring over the tables in the Record after the Brazil game and saying "We're through if Uruguay don't beat South Korea" to howls of laughter from everyone else in the room. How close they came! 😖

2 hours ago, Orraloon said:

Did it take you quite a while to stagger up the road? The Uruguay game was the next day. 😂 

A while ?

It was a fooking expedition !

It rained most of the day in Turin and none of us got a ticket so we ended up watching the game on a Burger Van's TV in the Stadium car park

We then humphed our way to the train station and had to wait ages for the slow train to the South of France - our digs was a villa in St Agnes near Menton

Recommended by Thomas Cook , St Agnes turned out to be the highest coastal village in fucking Europe so it was around 10am the next day we got home - nae mobile phones or internet in those days

Went from there to Nice for our flight home and even Jimmy Reid never told us of the Uruguay scenario - met him at the airport

Was when i got home i found out

10 hours ago, Ally Bongo said:

It's Scotland - we will find a way to not get out of the group like;

74 - Goal Difference

78  - Goal Difference

82 - Goal Difference

86 - 3 qualified out of our group and we only needed 2 points - got 1

90 - Costa Rica

98 - Our worst yet with the exception of 86

Apart from that you also have to remember Clarke's team has to prove that they wont shit the nest when the chips are down and ignoring Norway away which was a freak of nature there is no evidence to suggest that won't happen again

Also Euro 96, out on goal difference! 🙈

9 hours ago, GroundsKeeper said:

Re last euros.

Czech game could have went either way, we lost

England, could have won it but could argue a draw was a fair result.

Croatia, outclassed they were a different level.

How much have we progressed.

France will win the tournament so getting beat in Lille was no disgrace.

Beat Spain at home and could have got a result in Spain if we didn't have a dodgy ref.

I am not reading too much into the england freindly, we never showed up but I will say Che Adams for me is not international standard.

We can progress in Germany, but a kind draw would also help. So lets win next two games and I think Pot 2 should be guaranteed.

🤞

I’m not convinced that was a strong Croatian side, we stood off them far too much that night and allowed Modric the freedom of Hampden. 

Was all too familiar with the home performances versus Ukraine and England, rabbits caught in headlights stuff! I’m hoping Clarke and the team have learned from those games.

Edited by Daz1982

We can only judge this team on their set of results against teams that willl be at the Euros or very close. Do that and you see we can live with teams we could face such as:-

Denmark (beat them at last World Cup qualifiers)

Ukraine (beat them comfortably in Nations League and gritty draw with our second team away)

Austria (a win away in Vienna and draw at Hampden in last World Cup qualifiers)

Spain (beat them in qualifiers 2-0)

Serbia (last Euro play-off we came through despite conceding a galling late equaliser)

England (last Euros we held our own at Wembley and certainly did not fluke a result)

Maybe going back a little too far but had good results over Albania and Czech Republic in the Nations League too.

People will point to the last Euros as evidence we will struggle but this is a much upgraded squad since then which has been enhanced in defence and midfield. Also we have more experienced players too compared to then and to some it was rabbit in the headlights but they will now be stronger for that chastening they got.

12 hours ago, Daz1982 said:

I’m not convinced that was a strong Croatian side, we stood off them far too much that night and allowed Modric the freedom of Hampden. 

Was all too familiar with the home performances versus Ukraine and England, rabbits caught in headlights stuff! I’m hoping Clarke and the team have learned from those games.

Agree with your point on the Croatia game. The room and time we gave them on the ball was disgraceful. The space we gave them in midfield was crazy.We sat virtually on our 18 yard line and surrendered possession to them. Played totally to their strenghts. Like to think Clarke learned from that mistake. 

On 11/11/2023 at 1:22 PM, thesaint said:

Agree with your point on the Croatia game. The room and time we gave them on the ball was disgraceful. The space we gave them in midfield was crazy.We sat virtually on our 18 yard line and surrendered possession to them. Played totally to their strenghts. Like to think Clarke learned from that mistake. 

Think Clarke has stated we need exposure to better teams that will aid us at the euros.

France were simply different level and I hope we aren't in their group.

I think France will win the 2024 tournament without coming out of 4th gear.

Would take Espania👊