Any Questions For Your Trip To Dublin? - Page 17 - Republic of Ireland v Scotland - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Any Questions For Your Trip To Dublin?

Staying in College St, we better off drinking close to the Dart station and heading to the stadium in the afternoon or head to the Stadium early to somewhere near the ground.Or will there be a big meeting point for all fans ? Also , any pointers to best pub near the Times Hostel

Yeah mate - your pretty much bang in centre of the city there.....so plenty of pubs. Try "The Long Hall" on Georges st, "O Donoghues" and "Toners" on Baggot Street, "O'Sullivans" on westmoreland Street, and many many more pubs are all within quick walking distance to you,

The Hostel itself is next door to "Doyles" pub ...which has its merits.

While its a taxi/tram ride .....i highly recommend "The Cobblestone" on smithfield square ....great old style pub with trad sessions

As much as i hate the place ....you are about 2 mins walk from "Temple Bar".....so im sure you know what carry on goes on in there :wink2:

As for Transport to the stadium ....you are about 6/7 mins walk to "Pearce Street" train station which will take you directly to the stadium (short journey). Also you can get the Number 7 bus outside "Trinity College"(which is across from the hostel) which will also take you there.

As for the Stadium itself....if you head out early....it is in an area called "Ballsbridge"...which is a lovely area with loads of good Boozers!

Enjoy :beer;

Edited by Green_Tide_Rising

• Replies 825
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Could any of the Irish lads recommend a decent taxi/mini bus firm to do an airport pick up and return?

11 of us landing on the Saturday about lunchtime so ideally we want to be into the city/hotel and out for a few as soon as possible. One vehicle would be preferable as we are all in the same hotel.

Thanks in advance.

With his immense knowledge of the pubs in Dublin, does anyone else think GTR is a total piss can :lol:

Cheers for all your assistance buddy, it's greatly appreciated.

Many a pint of the good stuff to be swallied in June :ok:

Could any of the Irish lads recommend a decent taxi/mini bus firm to do an airport pick up and return?

11 of us landing on the Saturday about lunchtime so ideally we want to be into the city/hotel and out for a few as soon as possible. One vehicle would be preferable as we are all in the same hotel.

Thanks in advance.

I have to say the airport bus is pretty slick, and not that expensive.

We get in at 09:05, and that's how we will be getting into town.

Have grabbed a taxi in the past when we got in late. Unfortunately our flight was delayed and consequently I had a massive amount of time to kill at the Bristol airport bar, so I have no idea what the price was.

J

Edited by Bristolhibby

With his immense knowledge of the pubs in Dublin, does anyone else think GTR is a total piss can :lol:

Cheers for all your assistance buddy, it's greatly appreciated.

Many a pint of the good stuff to be swallied in June :ok:

He kens whit swally means noo! :lol:

Thanks in advance.

booked an eight seater for 27 euro each way with Terry Rodden at Dublin taxi transfers. Great deal

Yeah mate - your pretty much bang in centre of the city there.....so plenty of pubs. Try "The Long Hall" on Georges st, "O Donoghues" and "Toners" on Baggot Street, "O'Sullivans" on westmoreland Street, and many many more pubs are all within quick walking distance to you,

The Hostel itself is next door to "Doyles" pub ...which has its merits.

While its a taxi/tram ride .....i highly recommend "The Cobblestone" on smithfield square ....great old style pub with trad sessions

As much as i hate the place ....you are about 2 mins walk from "Temple Bar".....so im sure you know what carry on goes on in there :wink2:

As for Transport to the stadium ....you are about 6/7 mins walk to "Pearce Street" train station which will take you directly to the stadium (short journey). Also you can get the Number 7 bus outside "Trinity College"(which is across from the hostel) which will also take you there.

As for the Stadium itself....if you head out early....it is in an area called "Ballsbridge"...which is a lovely area with loads of good Boozers!

Enjoy :beer;

Cheers, is Tara street station not closer.Think we'll head early to Ballsbridge for a bit of atmosphere with the locals.

I have to say the airport bus is pretty slick, and not that expensive.

We get in at 09:05, and that's how we will be getting into town.

Have grabbed a taxi in the past when we got in late. Unfortunately our flight was delayed and consequently I had a massive amount of time to kill at the Bristol airport bar, so I have no idea what the price was.

J

Thanks for that but as its about 12.30 we are landing would prefer not to have to wait for a scheduled bus departure and then locate hotel from wherever bus drops us off, hence the requirement for a more door to door this time, minimise time fecking about between options.

booked an eight seater for 27 euro each way with Terry Rodden at Dublin taxi transfers. Great deal

Very good deal, will try and contact them, see if they have anything bigger or even if we could do possibly 2 taxis.

Thanks in advance.

Where ye staying? If ye are in city centre - so if ye cant book a taxi ...ye wont be stuck.

Regular commuter buses go from airport right into city centre at 3.30 euro

Also there is the eircoach which for about 6 eur drops ye direct to the airport and travels to alot of Dublin....it also runs in the very early hours of the morning

When ye land if ye get one of the above ....ye wont be waiting about

Green Tide, Very slim chance I will get a ticket as I'm only on 3 points. I'll be heading up near the ground on game day to see if I can luckily grab one from a seller. Although if I can't then which boozers around the ground are best for showing the game?

4 of us are staying at the DCU accommodation on the Friday and Saturday. Will there be decent bars local to that or will we be better travelling in to the city centre?

Also, am I better booking a taxi from the airport (arriving about 10pm on the Friday) or just jumping in one when we get there?

Edited by ARFC

Green Tide, Very slim chance I will get a ticket as I'm only on 3 points. I'll be heading up near the ground on game day to see if I can luckily grab one from a seller. Although if I can't then which boozers around the ground are best for showing the game?

lots of hotels and bars on Lansdowne Road , right beside the stadium....and the bars in them all will be showing the Game and will be packed with fans before and after the game

However .... I would recommend Searsons on Baggot St, Slatterys on Upper Grand Canal Street, Paddy Cullens Bar and Crowes Pub on Merrion Street, Bellamys Bar on Ballsbridge Terrace would probably be the best pubs near the stadium to watch the game

4 of us are staying at the DCU accommodation on the Friday and Saturday. Will there be decent bars local to that or will we be better travelling in to the city centre?

Also, am I better booking a taxi from the airport (arriving about 10pm on the Friday) or just jumping in one when we get there?

Dont head out up in the DCU area........theres a few bars.....but your better travelling to the city centre .....thats where the craic will be

No need to book a taxi at airport.....depending on how many of ye there will be ......there will be loads of taxis waiting outside arrivals.....if ye have a very large group then there are numerous very good bus services which will take ye into the city and beyond if required....these buses all depart regulary, so ye wont be waiting around

Where ye staying? If ye are in city centre - so if ye cant book a taxi ...ye wont be stuck.

Regular commuter buses go from airport right into city centre at 3.30 euro

Also there is the eircoach which for about 6 eur drops ye direct to the airport and travels to alot of Dublin....it also runs in the very early hours of the morning

When ye land if ye get one of the above ....ye wont be waiting about

Temple Bar Inn. Will have a look how far the nearest bus stop is to it. To be honest the cost isn't a factor it's more getting to the hotel and the out quickly. Thanks for info.

Temple Bar Inn. Will have a look how far the nearest bus stop is to it. To be honest the cost isn't a factor it's more getting to the hotel and the out quickly. Thanks for info.

Are you in the apartments above it mate? That's where we are as well. Penthoose. :D

GTR know you have said you hate this place but looks like we are pretty close to plenty of other decent boozers anyway?

Edited by Angus_Young

However .... I would recommend Searsons on Baggot street

Sure that place has trebled its takings since our office opened round the corner on Burlington plaza. everyone heads from work for a pint. Cracking boozer and good foot too.

Bar 54 round the corner not bad either and pretty cheap (irish comparitive) for bottled drinks etc.

Are you in the apartments above it mate? That's where we are as well. Penthoose. :D

GTR know you have said you hate this place but looks like we are pretty close to plenty of other decent boozers anyway?

Dont get me wrong mate - if ye head out in T.B , im sure ye will have a good time. I often Drink in the "Quays" bar in T.B.....and always have a good laugh.

The reason i am so anti - T.B is the price of drink there...............SCANDALOUS!!!!!

PLUS there are 100's of better boozers in Dublin.

Dont worry lad - even though ye are close to it, ye are also in the city centre........LOADS of other boozers nearby so ye can stay out of T.B if thats what ye want

Ye are close to O'Connell St, Dame St, Nassau St, Baggot St, Georges St , Wexford st ,and many more locations which have great boozers.

Great thing about Dublin is that it has loads of great bars all within Walking distance to each other....ye wont be left short

gtr do you know what the blarney inn is like for food? also their Nassau nightclub. cheers! trying to book somewhere post match for food and a boogie

Never eaten in their mate, but have had the "odd" pint in there....not somewhere i frequent often tbh

But the Inn itself is nice and i can imagine their food being good , especially considering their location (Nassau St) , which is city centre and wud appeal to tourists...so good food would be a priority im sure

As for the nightclub - been over a decade since i was in that .So cant really comment.

Im sure its fine.....worst case scenario....as i said to Angus, ye will have a 100 other options of places to go all within walking distance or short cab ride

Any recommended places for the dancing ?

I like to dance at some point during the trips.

Best bet is to head up to the wexford st/Camden St/Harcourt St region ....loads of late night bars and clubs up there (including the infamous Copper Face Jacks) ...you could try out "Flannerys , Whelans, D2, Dicey rileys " also as they are all up that area

lots of City centre clubs are also on in the Stephens Green/Leeson St area and Baggot St areas.....although if your up for some doing some very drunk moves on the dance floor .....then Harcourt/Camden and Wexford street areas are yere best bet

All the above areas are within the city centre area