Euro 2028 - UK & Ireland - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Euro 2028 - UK & Ireland

Craig Fae Hamilton

Ireland appear to be trying to get automatic Qualification for the Tournament as co-hosts.

That put Scotland, Wales and NI at a total dis-advantage. That would absolutely suck as we would also be a co-host, all be it as a subsidiary of the United Kingdom.........:

https://www.irishtimes.com/ireland/2023/07/29/ireland-not-yet-guaranteed-automatic-euro-2028-qualification-if-named-as-co-hosts/

Where in the article does if say that they are trying to guarentee participation?

Does it not just say that nothing has been communicated?

Tbh ive got no idea why Ireland has been included. It made sence with a Celtic bid of 3 smaller nations but zero sense in a UK bid.

Agreed, that article basically says maybe only two hosts get automatic qualification and if that's the case normal qualification rules will likely apply.

More interesting in that article was this absolutely wild paragraph:

In May, Secretary of State for Northern Ireland Chris Heaton-Harris said should the UK and Ireland’s Euro 2028 bid be successful, the British government would provide funding for Casement Park’s redevelopment. “I’m quite sure the UK government wants to help but we will work with all partners to deliver the Casement Park stadium,” he told the BBC.

“I don’t actually know how much the whole thing is going to cost. We’ve seen different estimates. But let’s win the bid first. Once we win the bid, we’ll sit down round a table and the money will get sorted out.”

Are they saying that they have bid a completely uncosted bid for a major tournament? Like, the secretary of state for NI is literally offering to write a blank cheque? How stupid are politicians these days, honestly.

3 hours ago, Scots_Wha_Hae said:

Agreed, that article basically says maybe only two hosts get automatic qualification and if that's the case normal qualification rules will likely apply.

More interesting in that article was this absolutely wild paragraph:

In May, Secretary of State for Northern Ireland Chris Heaton-Harris said should the UK and Ireland’s Euro 2028 bid be successful, the British government would provide funding for Casement Park’s redevelopment. “I’m quite sure the UK government wants to help but we will work with all partners to deliver the Casement Park stadium,” he told the BBC.

“I don’t actually know how much the whole thing is going to cost. We’ve seen different estimates. But let’s win the bid first. Once we win the bid, we’ll sit down round a table and the money will get sorted out.”

Are they saying that they have bid a completely uncosted bid for a major tournament? Like, the secretary of state for NI is literally offering to write a blank cheque? How stupid are politicians these days, honestly.

How can they even justify casement park as a suitable venue. Would be aswell proposing Tynecastle if that’s deemed the standard.And if they are spending government funding how is that fair on the other nations.

23 hours ago, JECK said:

How can they even justify casement park as a suitable venue. Would be aswell proposing Tynecastle if that’s deemed the standard.And if they are spending government funding how is that fair on the other nations.

It's for each devolved nation to decide their own budgets I suppose. I think a better question is why does the Scottish Government not step in to help provide sporting venues for our national teams? Despite the somewhat sketchy economics, it is still a matter of prestige to hold top level sporting events and to be frank we do not have the infrastructure to achieve this any longer. Should the Scottish Government be providing support or indeed paying for a decent national stadium?

I don't like us having any part of this, and it is a very small part. Surely the best way to do it is by going through the qualifications and then sorting the 2 so called automatic places from the teams that don't qualify. That way you would think there is a chance we could all be there.