Lawrie McMenemy Article - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Lawrie McMenemy Article

I've just read an article by Lawrie McMenemy, part of which went...

David (Moyes) began his playing career at Celtic, and I was very close to the legendary Jock Stein. Jock and I had regular phone calls and I know he set many on the right track to becoming good managers.

In winning that European trophy, David joined Jock, Matt Busby, Willie Waddell, Bill Shankly, George Graham and Alex Ferguson in becoming only the seventh Scottish manager to achieve one.

Only??? Cheeky bugger.

Which begs the question; how many English managers have won a European trophy?

Good question. I think the last English manager to win a European trophy was Bobby Robson, who won the Cup Winners Cup with Barcelona in 1997.

Or to put it another way, the last English manager to win a European trophy died 14 years ago, and won a competition 26 years ago that's been defunct for 24 years.

26 minutes ago, scotlad said:

Good question. I think the last English manager to win a European trophy was Bobby Robson, who won the Cup Winners Cup with Barcelona in 1997.

Or to put it another way, the last English manager to win a European trophy died 14 years ago, and won a competition 26 years ago that's been defunct for 24 years.

Wonder how that compares to other European nations. Especially the big ones. Off the top of my head thats longer ago than

Spain, Portugal, Italy, Scotland, France, Germany, Holland and Belgium.

And thats me just thinking about Champions league. Id imagine lots more when throw in europa etc

2 hours ago, Diamond Scot said:

Wonder how that compares to other European nations. Especially the big ones. Off the top of my head thats longer ago than

Spain, Portugal, Italy, Scotland, France, Germany, Holland and Belgium.

And thats me just thinking about Champions league. Id imagine lots more when throw in europa etc

Indeed.

It'd also be interesting to know how we stack up against other similar-sized European footballing nations in that respect.

3 minutes ago, Rich NATA said:

Fifteen? I couldn't think of that many.

Bill Nicholson, Ron Greenwood, Don Revie, Joe Harvey, Bertie Mee, Joe Mercer, Dave Sexton, Bob Paisley, Brian Clough, Bobby Robson, Tony Barton, Joe Fagan, Keith Burkinshaw & Howard Kendall.

If you include the Intertoto there's John Gregory, Glenn Roeder & Harry Redknapp.