Mcgeady And Mccarthy - Page 15 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Mcgeady And Mccarthy

Irishandproud

I'm completely honesty about the standard of our league, i watch it every week.

For the most part the football is of a decent standard. This season i have seen my team destroy a latvian side, beat a Dutch side and hold their own against a top La Liga side. It's not perfect, it's not on a par with the EPL or La Liga or any of the top leagues in Europe. For a country of 5million people, we're definitely punching above our weight though.

I see players who were abject failures up here, such as Eoin Doyle and Matt Done, banging in goals in the English League One and you coming on here and claiming our league is of a poorer standard than that. Have you ever watched League one football? It's kick and rush, where the strongest and fittest teams prosper. The ball is in the air about 80% of the time. Scottish teams, in the main, at least try and play football. But then you wouldn't have a clue, as you openly admit you never watch it. Yet you expect folk to take your opinion seriously? Do me a favour.

Hearts and Rangers are where they are because they spent money they did not have. Hopefully their relative demises will persuade clubs to live within their means. Hibs are where they are because they are rotten and have made continually poor managerial appointments. Football is and should be a meritocracy. Teams earn the right to be in the top division, the aforementioned 3 have not done so.

Well said.

I was at Parkhead yesterday and can't think of one trime when the long, aimless ball was played by Killie. Even when playing with ten men for 60 mins.

The past few years has seen a lot more Scottush sides blood youngsters more often and for the most part, teams are trying to get the ball on the deck and play the right way.

I've enjoyed past 3 or 4 seasons (well not as much last season) as it's been more pleasing on the eye.

Most clubs are the same but i enjoy watching us when we bring through homegrown players. Particularly when the likes of Naisy go on to be big players for both their EPL side and more importantly Scotland.

I'd say those of us who watch the SPL week in, week out are better placed to comment on the standard.

As for Irish suggesting that the standard is lower as Hibs aren't in the top league, are you serious? They were relegated as they were they were the worst team in the SPL least year. Had Hearts not have been deducted points, then i'm sure Hibs would have finished bottom.

• Replies 516
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Its not utter Nonsense

Did I say you cant love Football and not support club ?

I said you can watch Football in other Leagues and not support any of their clubs ,......which is True

I know people who love Football , dont support a club and only support the National Side here (in a way the National Side is their Club)

I sat and watched Real Madrid V Barcelona the other night - with not a care in the world who won. All I wanted was to see 2 great sides play great football and give me a very enjoyable 90 mins

Yes you said millions which is utter nonsense I'm afraid. And you asked me why I found it strange to love football and not support a club. I would say 99% of people would also find that strange.

Yes you said millions which is utter nonsense I'm afraid. And you asked me why I found it strange to love football and not support a club. I would say 99% of people would also find that strange.

Of course there are millions of people who may support a team but watch other leagues without supporting a team in those leagues

Anyway -we will agree to disagree on this mate

Celtic will qualify from their group with ease too.

I find it funny when folk refer to a foreign team as "we".

Don't agree with referring to them as "we" myself,but due to the poor setup of Domestic football over here I have no choice to support an English team and I suppose that Everton are probably the most Irish team in England I could choose with 4 Internationals and a history of Irish support.

Sure the Cao of The FAI makes more per year then the prize the winners of the league recieve.

Don't agree with referring to them as "we" myself,but due to the poor setup of Domestic football over here I have no choice to support an English team and I suppose that Everton are probably the most Irish team in England I could choose with 4 Internationals and a history of Irish support.

Sure the Cao of The FAI makes more per year then the prize the winners of the league recieve.

Why don't you try and help to improve your own domestic game than support a foreign side funding their league?

I'm not a massive fan of the SFA but I wouldn't stop watching our domestic league because of it.

Nothing better than going to see your local team play and having a few beers with mates before/after it. Never understood the facination with folk supporting clubs from 100s of miles away.

Why don't you try and help to improve your own domestic game than support a foreign side funding their league?

I'm not a massive fan of the SFA but I wouldn't stop watching our domestic league because of it.

Nothing better than going to see your local team play and having a few beers with mates before/after it. Never understood the facination with folk supporting clubs from 100s of miles away.

I'd be all for going to domestic games I try to organise with my mates to go, but they just laugh at me "cos its shite". And even if they were to go they wouldn't watch our local team (Bray Wanderers) they would rather watch one of the bigger teams like Shamrock Rovers which is as bad as suporting an English club imo as it is just glory hunting.

"Due to the poor quality Im forced to support an English club" Bollocks! You really are at the wind up. Due to the poor quality of the Scottish leagues none of our boys are forced to support English clubs therein lies the problem with the L.O.I. it can never improve when the punters are "forced" into overseas gloryhunting.

"Due to the poor quality Im forced to support an English club" Bollocks! You really are at the wind up. Due to the poor quality of the Scottish leagues none of our boys are forced to support English clubs therein lies the problem with the L.O.I. it can never improve when the punters are "forced" into overseas gloryhunting.

Everton is hardly Glory hunting..

Depends what age you are, did you just pick a club out of a hat soccer am style?

Only started following them a few years ago,started as a passing interest because they had Kilbane,and Lee Carlsey playing for them and generally just grown attached to them because they are a classy club in comparison to the likes of UTD,City,Chelsea and considering all my mates follow UTD or Liverpool I just thought it would be more individual and a better craic to follow a different team.

I wouldn't be heart broken if they lost matches as country has,and always will come way before club for me.

The whole league would need to be restructured for it to take off. New staduims,academies and even clubs as off the top of my head there are not far off 6-8 teams within 20 miles either side of Dublin. Greater Dublin has a pop of 1.8million which isn't enough to support 6-8 teams, and then the rest of the teams apart from Cork City, Limerick,Galway and Sligo are spread out among small country towns with populations of 5-20,000 it just isn't sustainable.

So you follow Everton to be different from your mates, but won't follow an Irish team because your mates won't follow an Irish team?

I do follow an Irish team, but I don't go regularly and considering they are normally fighting against relegation I am hardly going to be spending money every week to go to a mostly uncovered stand, in the pissing rain to watch hoof ball and catch pneunomia.

I do follow an Irish team, but I don't go regularly and considering they are normally fighting against relegation I am hardly going to be spending money every week to go to a mostly uncovered stand, in the pissing rain to watch hoof ball and catch pneunomia.

So you're a glory-hunter? Plain and simple.

You won't go support a team because they are normally fighting against relegation? But you can buy Sky Sports and support a foreign team.

That's pathetic.