Generational Greatness - and various strands of the argument - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Generational Greatness - and various strands of the argument

With Messi and Ronaldo separating themselves from everyone else during the recent era, who do we see as being the players from the next generation who will be as dominant and potentially enter themselves into the GOAT argument?

Likewise, take Messi and Ronaldo out of this era - who would have been the most highly regarded player(s)?

And if comparing era isn't too silly, who, in your opinion, is the very best player ever? Or top 5. 

Whatever you want to add. Just a thread to maybe get some discussion going during the week between Xmas and New Year.

9 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

Kenny might sneak into my top one hundred.

Football is all about opinions which makes it brilliant.  Liverpool were European Campions thanks to Dalglish.  Still to this day called King Kenny by the cop.  Best Scotland player by a mile in my lifetime.

More of a generational debate particular to Scotland is whether players 20-30 years ago were better than the mainly generic calibre we have today and by better i dont mean fitness/athletic ability

Reason it crossed my mind again was looking at a squad photo of first divison Hamilton Accies 30 years ago under manager Billy McLaren - they missed out on promotion to the Premier League on goal difference

It contained names such as Allan Ferguson, Colin Miller, Jim Weir, Andy Millen, Billy Reid, Colin Bomber Harris, George McCluskey and Paul McDonald

You could argue that if these players were that age today they would be streets ahead of most SPL teams that contain a majority of Scottish players

It's maybe why most SPL teams import players

10 minutes ago, Ally Bongo said:

More of a generational debate particular to Scotland is whether players 20-30 years ago were better than the mainly generic calibre we have today and by better i dont mean fitness/athletic ability

Reason it crossed my mind again was looking at a squad photo of first divison Hamilton Accies 30 years ago under manager Billy McLaren - they missed out on promotion to the Premier League on goal difference

It contained names such as Allan Ferguson, Colin Miller, Jim Weir, Andy Millen, Billy Reid, Colin Bomber Harris, George McCluskey and Paul McDonald

You could argue that if these players were that age today they would be streets ahead of most SPL teams that contain a majority of Scottish players

It's maybe why most SPL teams import players

Sorry but pish.   If our coaching system had been better then we wouldn.t need to have imported so many players from abroad.  But fans as well liked and still do think the idea of signing foreign players is a great thing.  Look at Celtic now.  It's Japanese players they want. Rangers in the past.  Dundee.  We could go on and on. Most teams and fans think this is a great thing.  Not for the country side it is.  Limit the club sides to 3 foreign players is my opinion for the sake of our national side.

18 minutes ago, SamP said:

Sorry but pish.   If our coaching system had been better then we wouldn.t need to have imported so many players from abroad. 

Pish but you agreed ?

28 minutes ago, Ally Bongo said:

Pish but you agreed ?

Aye, that is probably right.  I was as guilty as anyone seeing the likes of Larson, Laudrup, Cannigia etc and enjoying watching their skills.  I am sure fans of most other sides could say the same.  Theo Snelders at Aberdeen.  There is a question to the TAMB.  Who is the best foreign player you have seen at your team.  Most of my old Celtic pals say Morabjic (not spelt right I know).

It should be infuriating to all of us that, apart from the odd exception, today we have nothing like the standard of Scottish players from 20/30 years ago 

We seem to have coached out the individuality & talent these players used to have 

McFadden is probably the last one

Supporters will be able to remember cracking players of their own clubs ,even when they were in the first division, where it would be unthinkable that they could be replaced by an average overseas player that was better.

Pele greatest ever for me.  Shades it from Maradona cos he was 2-footed and good in the air as well.  Messi is a good bit behind Maradona IMO.

Bill Shankly always said George Best was better than Pele but then Best was done at the top-level by his mid-20's.

Mbappe will obviously be the next big thing, if he isn't there already, but I'm not sure he's got that extra something that'll take him into the Messi-Maradona-Pele bracket.

1. Messi                                                       
2. Maradona                                                
3. Cruyff                 
4. Ronaldo the phenomenon   
5. Baggio

cant bring myself to put Christiano Ronaldo in there as he’s too much of a welt and Pele’s goals/achievements are very of their time. 

I go and watch Raith Rovers when I can. Got thinking about the 1994 final which Rovers won on penalties. I have copied the teams that day for Celtic as well.  Amazing the number of Scots in both sides.  Changed days indeed.

RAITH ROVERS:

GK 1 Scotland Scott Thomson
DF 2 Scotland Steve McAnespie
DF 3 England Julian Broddle downward-facing red arrow ?'
DF 4 Scotland David Narey
DF 5 Scotland Shaun Dennis
MF 6 Scotland David Sinclair
FW 7 Scotland Stephen Crawford
FW 8 Scotland Gordon Dalziel downward-facing red arrow ?'
FW 9 Scotland Ally Graham
MF 10 Scotland Colin Cameron
MF 11 Scotland Jason Dair