Tamb not secure. - Page 2 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Tamb not secure.

1 hour ago, aaid said:

A "secure" website is one which is prefixed as "https" rather that "http".  The 's' stands for secure.   What that means is that it uses something called secure sockets layer (SSL) which means that any information transferred to and from you PC or device and the website is encrypted and not in plain text, so it can't be intercepted.   

To set up a secure website, you need to get a certificate from an issuing authority which is effectively a mechanism for demonstrating that you are who you say you are.  That mitigates the impersonation risk, someone setting up a website, pretending to be something other than it actually is and capturing personal data, i.e. click on a lick pretending from being your bank and asking for your card details.

These certificates last for a few years and cost a nominal fee and have to renewed when they expire.  Most companies or individuals are more uptodate than the TAMB admins are and renew them in advance and don't have to wait for @TDYER63to remind them.

cheers for that aaid. I knew most of that, but was just unsure how much of a risk…… which I guess the impersonation risk is.

Edited by ger intae them

3 hours ago, TDYER63 said:

Have you all got an adblocker? I am not getting any ads 

Seemingly not 😄

But why has it suddenly started a couple of weeks ago where it blows up to full screen first click you do on a tops or thread ?

Once you close it again it doesn't happen again while you're using the TAMB.

But reappears again later the next time you click if you've not been active for 30-60 mins or more .

42 minutes ago, fringo said:

Seemingly not 😄

But why has it suddenly started a couple of weeks ago where it blows up to full screen first click you do on a tops or thread ?

But reappears again later the next time you click if you've not been active for 30-60 mins or more .

I have been getting this as well.  Really annoying 

5 hours ago, Fairbairn said:

Nor me.  The site was painstakingly slow on mobile for a week or so and then i got the same "not secure" message but all seems to be working smoothly now.

Now that you say it , my phone was really slow loading the TAMB last week. I just blamed Virgin I blame them for everything.

3 hours ago, Orraloon said:

It looks like the new certificate expires on 24Jan23. Can you set your alarm so that you can remind us a few days beforehand? We wouldn't want to miss out on Burns night on the TAMB. 👍

Thank you for fixing the TAMB. That's you now officially part of the Admin Team. 

Jan23? Thats no very long . Hardly a ringing endorsement of the boards longevity. Still, probably longer than the current PM will last. 

1 hour ago, fringo said:

Seemingly not 😄

How in earth would I know Fringo? I am a mere admin assistant,  thats way above my pay grade. I  just need to flog as many ad blockers as I can to meet the boss’s target.
I could maybe pencil you in for a meeting with Tamb1 at 10.15 am tomorrow. He has a 15 min slot between his aromatherapy class and giant jenga  competition  . 

Edited by TDYER63

7 minutes ago, TDYER63 said:

Now that you say it , my phone was really slow loading the TAMB last week. I just blamed Virgin I blame them for everything.

Jan23? Thats no very long . Hardly a ringing endorsement of the boards longevity. Still, probably longer than the current PM will last. 

How in earth would I know Fringo? I am a mere admin assistant,  thats way above my pay grade. I  just need to flog as many ad blockers as I can to meet the boss’s target.
I could maybe pencil you in for a meeting with Tamb1 at 10.15 am tomorrow. He has a 15 min slot between his aromatherapy class and giant jenga  competition  . 

😃 Obviously wasn't aimed at you......just putting it out there.

I blame society/ Russians/Tories/SNP/BBC/Ant & Dec etc etc. Everyone.