Season 22/23 - Page 110 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

1 minute ago, Squirrelhumper said:

A bigger league will never happen as SKy will never settle for 2 OF. 

It shouldn't be up to Sky to run our games.  Greed corrupts.  The fans don't seem to matter anymore.  I hate the thought of a two horse race again next season.  Spoke to my jambo pal this morning.  The only way they will be able to compete is if they qualify for Europe for the next 5 years.  Probably the same with Aberdeen and Hibs.  I honestly think the fans of all teams should get together in some form of protest.  We are a wee country and should surely be able to run our game better.  Imagine if the OF went to an Atlantic league.  The crowds in Scotland would go up as they have a chance of winning the League.  Anyway, rant over, but like everyone on here I care deeply about our Scottish game and mainly the national side.

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 5/31/2023 at 8:51 AM, SamP said:

It shouldn't be up to Sky to run our games.  Greed corrupts.  The fans don't seem to matter anymore.  I hate the thought of a two horse race again next season.  Spoke to my jambo pal this morning.  The only way they will be able to compete is if they qualify for Europe for the next 5 years.  Probably the same with Aberdeen and Hibs.  I honestly think the fans of all teams should get together in some form of protest.  We are a wee country and should surely be able to run our game better.  Imagine if the OF went to an Atlantic league.  The crowds in Scotland would go up as they have a chance of winning the League.  Anyway, rant over, but like everyone on here I care deeply about our Scottish game and mainly the national side.

I agree with you but sadly, Sky call the shots. 

23 minutes ago, Squirrelhumper said:

I agree with you but sadly, Sky call the shots. 

They call the shots because the SPFL sells the game on the old firm Derby and that's it. They have zero imagination

5 hours ago, vanderark14 said:

They call the shots because the SPFL sells the game on the old firm Derby and that's it. They have zero imagination

Correct.  If the fans don't have the guts to do something about it then it is their fault as well.

5 hours ago, vanderark14 said:

The SPFL is all the clubs though so really its their fault. If Chairman had open discussion with fans about the finances involved then informed decisions could be made. Until that happens we are going to continue with it all being about the OF.

1 hour ago, Diamond Scot said:

The SPFL is all the clubs though so really its their fault. If Chairman had open discussion with fans about the finances involved then informed decisions could be made. Until that happens we are going to continue with it all being about the OF.

From memory the only time clubs have listened to fans is when the chairman were trying to parachute rangers into the championship and it looks like this 5th division nonsense will be fucked off too because the fans do not want it in the form being suggested

3 hours ago, vanderark14 said:

5 trebles in 7 seasons for celtic.

That's an alarming stat....not one to be celebrated unless you're fan of celtic 

True, but their main rivals played down the leagues for most of them.  All over Europe the team with the most money will generally win the league.  Sadly.  But as I said to my mate (yes I do have some!!) Aberdeen and Hearts have the Euro nights to look forward to as well.  Hopefully have some good results as well.

55 minutes ago, EddardStark said:

Total prize money allocated after yesterday 

That is good money and we moan about Sky etc.  Still doesn't take away the fact that the clubs with most will usually win their leagues and become richer etc.  I am no communist but there should be a better balance to help out the whole of our leagues imo.

1 hour ago, EddardStark said:

Total prize money allocated after yesterday 

Excuse my ignorance, but how do those Celtic prizes add up to £30 million? Is there a column missing which covers an extra 200K every time a club complains about VAR? 😉

9 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

Excuse my ignorance, but how do those Celtic prizes add up to £30 million? Is there a column missing which covers an extra 200K every time a club complains about VAR? 😉

That made me chuckle!!

4 hours ago, vanderark14 said:

5 trebles in 7 seasons for celtic.

That's an alarming stat....not one to be celebrated unless you're fan of celtic 

At one point do these victories become very hollow? There was a woman on the news reporting how Celtic had now got the world record for the number of trebles like it was something to be proud about. Just strikes me as embarrassing, she could have equally reported it as how the SPFL is the least competitive in the world!

Just now, Hertsscot said:

At one point do these victories become very hollow? There was a woman on the news reporting how Celtic had now got the world record for the number of trebles like it was something to be proud about. Just strikes me as embarrassing, she could have equally reported it as how the SPFL is the least competitive in the world!

It's been hollow for years IMO. 

For some reason football fans think it's worth celebrating wildly even when their team has a huge advantage over their rivals

11 minutes ago, ParisInAKilt said:

5 trebles since 2016/17

Rangers back in the SPL from 2016/17

Yes but they were skint.  Celtic built up a huge pile of cash and you know it is that that counts.  Fortunately they were stopped from getting 9 in a row. One day hopefully Rangers and Celtic wont be here in Scottish football.  Less money flying about I suppose but better for the fans and our game.

1 hour ago, Hertsscot said:

It's also fairly meaningless as (I think) many/most major leagues do not have a league cup so only a double is possible.

World record my a*se.