David Turnbull - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

David Turnbull

Taylor1996

https://www.bt.com/sport/news/2021/march/david-turnbull-to-use-scotland-disappointment-as-motivation-for-future-call-up

I said it recently about Billy Gilmour. If Turnbull (or Gilmour) had the least bit of tenuous links to Ireland or Wales, they would chance their arm by calling them up.

These two are the future, guaranteed (barring injury or illness) so why not fast track them like Vogts did with Fletcher and McFadden.

Maybe you have to be foreign to be able to do that kind thing.

Yes, we are relatively strong in midfield, but we could've taken out the likes of Armstrong, Palmer, McLean or McBurnie to make way for them.

1 hour ago, Taylor1996 said:

https://www.bt.com/sport/news/2021/march/david-turnbull-to-use-scotland-disappointment-as-motivation-for-future-call-up

I said it recently about Billy Gilmour. If Turnbull (or Gilmour) had the least bit of tenuous links to Ireland or Wales, they would chance their arm by calling them up.

These two are the future, guaranteed (barring injury or illness) so why not fast track them like Vogts did with Fletcher and McFadden.

Maybe you have to be foreign to be able to do that kind thing.

Yes, we are relatively strong in midfield, but we could've taken out the likes of Armstrong, Palmer, McLean or McBurnie to make way for them.

Maybe one of the first times I’ve ever agreed with you 

I see it as a positive that we aren't forcing emerging players into the squad after they have played half a season. Also a positive that there is players coming through who look like they will be Scotland players for years to come. We are good at finding negatives in that. 

4 minutes ago, Malcolm said:

David turnbull isn’t good enough at the moment, or certainly not proven that he is good enough.

He's good enough to be called up and be immersed in the squad and get himself acclimatised in the camp. And watch how players like McTominay, McGinn, etc, go about their business.

There's no under 21 match for a few months, so there's no real reason to leave him or Gilmour out.

2 minutes ago, bigfingers said:

I see it as a positive that we aren't forcing emerging players into the squad after they have played half a season. Also a positive that there is players coming through who look like they will be Scotland players for years to come. We are good at finding negatives in that. 

Turnbull has played about 70 senior matches. 

He's hardly wet behind the ears.

1 hour ago, Taylor1996 said:

With Turnbull I don't even think it's a case of fast tracking, just a matter of picking your best players. Don't understand it at all.

Gilmour is just very unlucky. 

13 minutes ago, SkyBlueScot said:

With Turnbull I don't even think it's a case of fast tracking, just a matter of picking your best players. Don't understand it at all.

Gilmour is just very unlucky. 

I know. Technical ability wise, he should be there, alone. Same with Gilmour. No doubt.

It's this stubbornness and loyalty that has always held us back. Chances are, neither of them will make the Euro squad now.

(To my own personal Emoji Bomber: In a few months I'll be the most popular TAMB contributor. So, thank you for that. :))

Edited by Taylor1996

Guest Scot1

I’d have had both Gilmour and Turnbull as part of the squad. Just to get them involved in the set up and training with future (not too distant, hopefully) teammates. Strange decision by Clarke to leave both out completely. 

Edited by Scot1