Steve Clarke interview - Page 3 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Steve Clarke interview

Taylor1996

6 hours ago, Taylor1996 said:

You just compared me to a Rangers and a Celtic fan. Why not just go the whole hog and call me a Nazi.

Jest or not, that isn't nice.

Ok I’ll apologise to all Celtic & Rangers fans then 👍

You are hereby on ignore 🥳

On 11/8/2020 at 2:10 AM, Taylor1996 said:

He's showing incredible humility.

He's wrong, though. These players, playing in a failed system (4-2-3-1. And four at the back, in general) and were easy to play against, easy to score inti and easy to beat. Since he switched it to a 3-5-2, we've improved rapidly.

He ignored the knee-jerk response and the basic misunderstanding of football, by a section of the fans and the media, by sticking to his guns.

If he won't take the credit, I will. 

I've been beating the 3-5-2 drum, on a lone furrow, for a long, long, long, long time. I knew that i'd be proven right if a Scotland manager had the testicular fortitude to play, and stick, to that system.

I have been proven completely right.

The more times that people here mention "three at the back", and set out their first XI with a three, the more vindicated I become.

You're welcome.

You were literally completely wrong. You said these players weren't good enough to qualify for a major tournament. In any system. And instead we should be playing the youth team. 

Now here we are on the verge of qualification with the very players you wrote off. 

You have a very selective memory.

55 minutes ago, Morrisandmoo said:

You were literally completely wrong. You said these players weren't good enough to qualify for a major tournament. In any system. And instead we should be playing the youth team. 

Now here we are on the verge of qualification with the very players you wrote off. 

You have a very selective memory.

No I didn't. I have said, on humourous occasions, that we would've qualified for at least 5 of the previous 9 tournaments if we played 3-5-2.

And yes, playing with a four, we are too easy to play against, so why not throw caution to the wind. The kids couldn't do any worse in a four than the seniors.

These players, (and their previous generations) are not good enough to play with a back four. It's no coincidence that we're a match away from 2020 when we switch to a 3-5-2.

4 hours ago, Taylor1996 said:

No I didn't. I have said, on humourous occasions, that we would've qualified for at least 5 of the previous 9 tournaments if we played 3-5-2.

And yes, playing with a four, we are too easy to play against, so why not throw caution to the wind. The kids couldn't do any worse in a four than the seniors.

These players, (and their previous generations) are not good enough to play with a back four. It's no coincidence that we're a match away from 2020 when we switch to a 3-5-2.

There is fuck all, humorous about you wee man

4 hours ago, Taylor1996 said:

Is your last paragraph serious? As far as I remember we have played with 3 at the back twice I’m our run to the playoff final. 

The first time we did it Israel tore us a new arse and the second time we did it we scraped past Israel on penalties. We have beaten several teams ranked above Israel with 4 at the back so we could easily have done that last month. 

The fact is the formation we play doesn’t matter anywhere near as much as you think it does. What matters more is our best players being fit and everyone working together as a team to carry out Clarke’s instructions. 

9 hours ago, Texas Pete said:

Is your last paragraph serious? As far as I remember we have played with 3 at the back twice I’m our run to the playoff final. 

The first time we did it Israel tore us a new arse and the second time we did it we scraped past Israel on penalties. We have beaten several teams ranked above Israel with 4 at the back so we could easily have done that last month. 

The fact is the formation we play doesn’t matter anywhere near as much as you think it does. What matters more is our best players being fit and everyone working together as a team to carry out Clarke’s instructions. 

Then you remember wrong:

Israel: 04/09/20: (h): 1 - 1: (d)

https://www.sofascore.com/scotland-israel/FObsVTb

Czech Republic: (a): 07/09/20: 1 - 2: (w)

https://www.sofascore.com/czech-republic-scotland/VTbsoUb

Israel: 08/10/20: (h): 08/10/20: 0 - 0: (d)

Slovakia: 11/10/20: (h): 11/10/20: 1 - 0: (w)

https://www.sofascore.com/slovakia-scotland/VTbsXTb

Czech Republic: 14/10/20: (a): 1 - 0: (w)

In all of our previous Five matches we've played with a back three. Fact checked and verified.

10 minutes ago, Taylor1996 said:

Then you remember wrong:

Israel: 04/09/20: (h): 1 - 1: (d)

Czech Republic: (a): 07/09/20: 1 - 2: (w)

Israel: 08/10/20: (h): 08/10/20: 0 - 0: (d)

Slovakia: 11/10/20: (h): 11/10/20: 1 - 0: (w)

https://www.sofascore.com/slovakia-scotland/VTbsXTb

Czech Republic: 14/10/20: (a): 1 - 0: (w)

In all of our previous Five matches we've played with a back three. Fact checked and verified.

Dearie me. 

Only one of the games you have mentioned have any bearing on us qualifying for Euro 2020. 

1 minute ago, Texas Pete said:

Dearie me. 

Only one of the games you have mentioned have any bearing on us qualifying for Euro 2020. 

You said: Is your last paragraph serious? As far as I remember we have played with 3 at the back twice I’m our run to the playoff final. "

Key words, "run to", would suggest the matches prior to the final.

Words are tricky, aren't they?

1 minute ago, Taylor1996 said:

You said: Is your last paragraph serious? As far as I remember we have played with 3 at the back twice I’m our run to the playoff final. "

Key words, "run to", would suggest the matches prior to the final.

Words are tricky, aren't they?

Are you blind to the context you cheeky, patronising bore?

You stated that we were only one game away from qualifying for a tournament because we were playing 3 at the back. We have only done that once successfully in the qualifiers/playoffs for that tournament and even that was a 0-0 draw against a team ranked around 90th in the rankings.  The other matches you mentioned have nothing to do with Euro 2020.

I doubt we would have lost to Israel if we had played 4 at the back last month (although anything is possible).

The point is the formation hasn’t got us to the playoff final. A hard fought draw and penalty shoot out has gotten us to this point. 

10 hours ago, Texas Pete said:

LOL

Yes. Obviously. We've played with a four at the back for 18 years. Missed 9 tournaments.

No red flags there.

Why do you think Strachan flirted with a three? How about McLeish? Or Clarke? 

If you don't think the change of system has helped Scotland then you honestly haven't the first clue about football. If that's the case, why are you wasting my time?

Are you blind to the context you cheeky, patronising bore?

You stated that we were only one game away from qualifying for a tournament because we were playing 3 at the back. We have only done that once successfully in the qualifiers/playoffs for that tournament and even that was a 0-0 draw against a team ranked around 90th in the rankings.  The other matches you mentioned have nothing to do with Euro 2020.

I doubt we would have lost to Israel if we had played 4 at the back last month (although anything is possible).

The point is the formation hasn’t got us to the playoff final. A hard fought draw and penalty shoot out has gotten us to this point. 

Insults,? Cool. The mask of civility comes off. I thought that it would be a little later. Oh well.

Do you know what momentum means? We got "momentum" via the five matches leading up the final on Thursday. Not difficult a concept to grasp. The fact that we only played with a 3 in one match, the Semi final, is inconsequential towards the entire big picture.

There's a reason why Steve Clarke switched to a back three. And now I'm going to say what others have said to me for x amount of times: where are your coaching badges? Are you saying that you know more than Steve Clarke?

We wouldn't have? Like we didn't lose 3 - 0 to Kazakhstan with a four? I could give countless examples.

5 minutes ago, Taylor1996 said:

LOL

Yes. Obviously. We've played with a four at the back for 18 years. Missed 9 tournaments.

No red flags there.

Why do you think Strachan flirted with a three? How about McLeish? Or Clarke? 

If you don't think the change of system has helped Scotland then you honestly haven't the first clue about football. If that's the case, why are you wasting my time?

I’m not going to argue with you about the formation. I don’t care what formation Clarke uses as long as he is successful.

My point was that he we are not one game away from qualifying for Euro 2020 because of a change in formation. We would likely have beaten Israel regardless of the formation used. 

Now if you said we were top of our nations league group because of the new system you may have had a point (although COVID 19 is probably the main reason for that).  

I’m not going to argue with you about the formation. I don’t care what formation Clarke uses as long as he is successful.

My point was that he we are not one game away from qualifying for Euro 2020 because of a change in formation. We would likely have beaten Israel regardless of the formation used. 

Now if you said we were top of our nations league group because of the new system you may have had a point (although COVID 19 is probably the main reason for that).  

18 years/9 tournaments all failed. The common denominator? Back four.

If you don't think the switch in systems helped then... You're completely wrong. Oh wait. "Either you're on the bevvy or you're being an arse"

Which is it?

Theoretical. Give me your reasons for thinking that. Because of all our strong performances that came before it, with a four?

We are top of our nations group AND in the final, because of the change in system. 

6 minutes ago, Taylor1996 said:

Insults,? Cool. The mask of civility comes off. I thought that it would be a little later. Oh well.

Do you know what momentum means? We got "momentum" via the five matches leading up the final on Thursday. Not difficult a concept to grasp. The fact that we only played with a 3 in one match, the Semi final, is inconsequential towards the entire big picture.

There's a reason why Steve Clarke switched to a back three. And now I'm going to say what others have said to me for x amount of times: where are your coaching badges? Are you saying that you know more than Steve Clarke?

We wouldn't have? Like we didn't lose 3 - 0 to Kazakhstan with a four? I could give countless examples.

If you are going to have wee digs like “words are tricky, aren’t they” then don’t be surprised if someone calls you on it. 

I’m not sure calling you a bore is an insult though. It’s more a statement of fact. You actually bore me. Not all the time, you make some good points but for the love of god, stop going on about the formation. 

Just now, Taylor1996 said:

18 years/9 tournaments all failed. The common denominator? Back four.

If you don't think the switch in systems helped then... You're completely wrong. Oh wait. "Either you're on the bevvy or you're being an arse"

Which is it?

Theoretical. Give me your reasons for thinking that. Because of all our strong performances that came before it, with a four?

We are top of our nations group AND in the final, because of the change in system. 

Boring.