Reasons To Be Hopeful... - Page 3 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Reasons To Be Hopeful...

ScotlandFanMuir

I think they'd have chosen somewhere like Ochilview. A tiny stadium where the number of home fans is minimsed.

Dunno why you think they'd choose a massive stadium which is famous for generating a great and partisan atmosphere.

"It's so obvious it is staggering".

I know it's a real mystery isn't it.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Naismith failed to score at his 'spiritual home' on Saturday . . . . and Brown arguably had his best competitive game at his rivals ground . . . . It's an interesting theory about Ireland and Celtic's ground but can't see it myself.

Naismith is about as welcome at Ibrox these days as McGeady would be! :lol:

Sure, playing the game at Parkhead might make some of the Irish fans who follow Celtic as their club side and some of their players such as McGeady and ehm...Keane feel a bit more at home and a bit more comfortable than they would at Hampden or Ibrox but surely the fact that we'll have approximately 54,000 fans there outnumbering them approx 9-1 massively outweighs this. The notion that this "is like a home game for Ireland" is fecking ludicrous.

is that what he said?

Who are Ireland's key players? Robbie Keane (chief goalscorer) and Aiden McGeady (chief playmaker) and walking into Parkhead will be a very pleasing feeling to them and not unsettling at all. Great way to settle them down going into such a big match and in these favourable conditions it makes it more favourable for them to make a big contribution. Believe you me I hope I am wrong.

Who are Ireland's key players? Robbie Keane (chief goalscorer) and Aiden McGeady (chief playmaker) and walking into Parkhead will be a very pleasing feeling to them and not unsettling at all. Great way to settle them down going into such a big match and in these favourable conditions it makes it more favourable for them to make a big contribution. Believe you me I hope I am wrong.

Robbie Keane has probably played at Old Trafford more in his career than Parkhead.

I see what you're saying but think you're overestimating the impact playing at a stadium a player has played in before. Especially when the circumstances are different, in fact you could argue that coming to Parkhead under potentially hostile conditions could be more unsettling for McGeady as he was used to a supportive Parkhead

We'll have the likes of Brown, Mulgrew, Maloney, Gordon all of whom play/played regularly at Parkhead (not to mention WGS). Again, does that not outweigh any possible advantage that Ireland might get from McGeady and Keane having played there. And incidentally, how many games did Keane actually play for Celtic at Parkhead? 10? 12?

We'll have the likes of Brown, Mulgrew, Maloney, Gordon all of whom play/played regularly at Parkhead (not to mention WGS). Again, does that not outweigh any possible advantage that Ireland might get from McGeady and Keane having played there. And incidentally, how many games did Keane actually play for Celtic at Parkhead? 10? 12?

I would expect all of those players to feel right at home at any home Scotland match so this negates that effect in my opinion. On the other hand, being this is an away game for Ireland are you telling me Keane, McGeady etc were praying for this match to be at Hampden or Ibrox rather than Parkhead? I think, most definitely not. In fact, if memory serves I recall an article online with McGeady or O'Neill enthusing over the choice of venue for this match. I will see if I can dig it out.

Here we are:-

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/martin-oneill-begs-sfa-play-3208337

or here:-

http://www.scotsman.com/sport/football/latest/euro-2016-parkhead-clash-for-strachan-and-o-neill-1-3317326

Edited by Caledonian Craig

Why assume it will be a sell out after Ibrox. And if there is shortfall in demand from the home support does it not stand to reason those loose tickets will end bleeding into the Irish support who will very much fancy Parkhead as an 'away' day.

Also Marshall who was a celtic player , i think also Naismith and Hutton will be well up for playing at Parkhead so i agree it does outweigh any Irish advantage

Also Marshall who was a celtic player , i think also Naismith and Hutton will be well up for playing at Parkhead so i agree it does outweigh any Irish advantage

Ahhh but that was the original point - why give the Irish any advantage in the first place that then needs to be negated?

edit: No one said it would put off the Scots - apart from those doing the straw man thing - they said it would hand the Irish a boost that could have been avoided.

Edited by thplinth

Ahhh but that was the original point - why give the Irish any advantage in the first place that then needs to be negated?

edit: No one said it would put off the Scots - apart from those doing the straw man thing - they said it would hand the Irish a boost that could have been avoided.

But why is it only Ireland players getting the boost? Surely Marshall, Mulgrew, Maloney, Brown, etc will all recieve a boost from playing at their home ground?

If we apply the same logic to all players, then we are in effect increasing our advantage by playing at Celtic Park.

But why is it only Ireland players getting the boost? Surely Marshall, Mulgrew, Maloney, Brown, etc will all recieve a boost from playing at their home ground?

If we apply the same logic to all players, then we are in effect increasing our advantage by playing at Celtic Park.

Scotland are at home so the home boost would always be there at whatever the ground for Scotland's Celtic-based players. However, Ireland are away from home but playing at somewhere close to many of their players hearts is hardly going to upset them - in fact quite the opposite.

Scotland are at home so the home boost would always be there at whatever the ground for Scotland's Celtic-based players. However, Ireland are away from home but playing at somewhere close to many of their players hearts is hardly going to upset them - in fact quite the opposite.

Many of their players? :unsure:

oops just visited your profile by mistake hope you don't think I am stalking you...

McGeady alone is bad enough. He will know that place like the back of hand, practised a trillion free kicks there...etc etc etc.

I don't see this being a problem. A pitch is a pitch. It's our home game, an atmosphere he won't be used to at Parkhead.

This is our best team and chance to qualify since 2008. We shouldn't be worried about some opposition players getting a potential edge because they've played at a stadium before.

McGeady, Keane and Stokes on the playing side and Keane and O'Neill on the coaching side. If this is such baloney why was O'Neill begging the SFA to play the fixfixture at Parkhead?

Because he has the same misguided opinion as yourself ;)

We need to chuck it if we are worried about the above. We'll add nothing to euro 2016 with this attitude.

oops just visited your profile by mistake hope you don't think I am stalking you...

McGeady alone is bad enough. He will know that place like the back of hand, practised a trillion free kicks there...etc etc etc.

Mcgeady came back with Moscow and was utter shite and was taken off, so no worries with him

Mcgeady came back with Moscow and was utter shite and was taken off, so no worries with him

Surely he would've sparkled and scored free-kicks that he's practiced a trillion times?