Georgia Match Thread. - Page 3 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Georgia Match Thread.

JagDude

Funny how different people view the match.

IMO, it just never quite worked for Anya, Naismith and Maloney. They all did all they can to get in the game and make it happen but it just wasn't their night.

I thought Fletcher did well. He created all our best chances but they weren't taken. Brown was excellent and Morrison was good. The back 4 were solid enough and Marshall didn't have a save to make.

A second goal would have led to 3 or 4. The longer it went on and the more chances we missed, the more nervous it got but we never really looked like blowing it.

This is exactly how I saw it. Although Russell Martin needs a mention as I thought he was our best player. Excellent centre half.

No real complaints other than that when several were struggling having tired badly there were no real options on the bench. MacArthur coming on wide right an example. A full strength Scotland team nowadays is an impressive outfit. It only takes a few injuries/suspensions to weaken us considerably.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

But surely Fletcher should going for goals too.I think he had one shot and that was the one he should have passed. :blush:

He should be looking to score but he tends to create far more - remember our goal in Dortmund. If others had taken their chances we'd all be talking about how good Fletcher was. Naismith was the most guilty of wasting opportunities but I'm sure he'll make up for it at some point in the campaign.

Had one of several chances been taken or had the final ball been a bit better it would have been very comfortable result. I only really started to get nervous when we had ten minutes to go and felt they might nick one through some mistake by us. I felt the game got very stretched as it went on and that we were a bit exposed on our left flank. I like both Anya and Robertson but I'm not sure the understanding was always there yesterday. I'd have liked to have seen Maloney and Naismith switch as I feel Maloney's more effective in that central area. Back four looked solid and though Brown was excellent int he middle of the park. All in all decent performance against an ordinary side, passing, commitment and self beleif all massively imporved under Strachan

On a positive I'm sure our finishing can't be as poor as yesterday and I think Fletcher's due a goal in a Scotland shirt (last one was five years ago!) so bring on Tuesday night.

Thought the back 5 were good but to be honest there shouldn't have been anything there to trouble them at all - however, they looked troubled a couple of times (to be fair, even poor teams get at least one chance). Hutton went forward well but can't seem to get a cross past the marking defender which was getting frustrating. Robertson was very good and seems to put in some very tasty crosses - he and Anya were using each other’s space though, that needs sorted.

Thought Brown was simply outstanding. Morrison played well enough and did a lot of the dirty chasing around and back work.

Anya, to his credit, tried very hard to get into the game. Thought he did well but Tuesday will suit him more. Given where he was played, I actually thought Maloney did ok. Thought Naismith was unusually poor. Maloney should have been in the hole - far better touch and with the ball at his feet. Fletcher was good in first half. I would have hooked Fletcher and Naismith pretty early in second half - was screaming out for Maloney in the hole, a GMS type out wide (I know he wasn't on the bench, but should have been!) and May up front.

I haven't seen any highlights but I remember two daft bits of play from Fletcher. One where he tried a Van Basten shot that was never on when he had time to run the ball int the box and shoot from closer. The second was one where he lashed a stupid shot from the edge of the box whilst off balance and surrounded by defenders. That said he had more good than bad about him and if Naisy had played quicker ball through to him I think he would have bagged a goal. Hes worth another start IMO