Who invented football, Scotland or England? - Page 4 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Who invented football, Scotland or England?

On 6/1/2020 at 6:44 AM, ErsatzThistle said:

Another thing that many people don't want to admit shamefully happened was that up until the c1939 some SFA selectors didn't want more than two or three Catholics in the XI. Some didn't want any at all. That's the real reason why talented players like Jimmy McGrory only got a handful of caps. 

Partially agree with the above.

McGrory was of Irish parentage on both sides I believe (despite being born in Glasgow) which no doubt the beaks of the time were not too impressed about.

He had quite a bit of competition for the position as well (Gallacher, McPhail etc).

Other players like Hughie Ferguson and Wullie McFadyen of Motherwell hardly got a look in as well. My old grandpa would say McFadyen was the greatest striker Scotland produced (albeit through his claret and amber tinted specs)

15 hours ago, Mitre said:

Partially agree with the above.

McGrory was of Irish parentage on both sides I believe (despite being born in Glasgow) which no doubt the beaks of the time were not too impressed about.

He had quite a bit of competition for the position as well (Gallacher, McPhail etc).

Other players like Hughie Ferguson and Wullie McFadyen of Motherwell hardly got a look in as well. My old grandpa would say McFadyen was the greatest striker Scotland produced (albeit through his claret and amber tinted specs)

Neither Mcfadyen or Ferguson, were catholic...the selectors must have just thought the likes of Gallagher were better than them