Expat Scots - Page 4 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That is a change o' scenery.

Why Italy?

Got a lot of mates out there (Italians, not Scots), one of whom's got a company I'm investing in. It'll probably go tits up, but you only live once. Last week just killed me inside, and I canna bide here any longer.

Plus, I need te hunt doon the phuqqing Arabs who nicked my iPhone the other week.

Got a lot of mates out there (Italians, not Scots), one of whom's got a company I'm investing in. It'll probably go tits up, but you only live once. Last week just killed me inside, and I canna bide here any longer.

Plus, I need te hunt doon the phuqqing Arabs who nicked my iPhone the other week.

Best of luck!

I often wish I lived further away fae Pittodrie ;)

I would've been tempted with a Yes. Do my bit etc. Can't see me moving back for a while now although I may move back to Europe at some point just to be closer to family.

I'm in the oil/gas game. We had 3 Scots on this rig in the last month, all Yes, but none with a vote. We're not all selfish twats.

None of the Aussies here can believe we didn't go for it. A lot of them did assume that a No was the default position though due to the media here reporting it that way. Some people were genuinely surprised that I was in favour of a Yes when I talked to them about it. Not that they didn't think it was a good idea, but just because of how it was being spun. I've persuaded a few to take a more critical line on how their media reports news, which is a good thing. Like myself before this referendum most people just tend to suck it up. The Aussie PM has also made sure I'll never vote for him or his party. He should definitely be on the c*nt list.

What are the criteria for being able to vote in WM and Holyrood elections back home? I just moved here last year, do I still qualify?

I was right up for coming back after a Yes vote but feel less inclined now I have to admit. I'm a bit of a lurker on this board because my love of the national team has never left me even though I rarely get to see games these days. I was pleased with the positive vibes I was getting off this board before the referendum, it was a big antidote to the negativity elsewhere. Of course it turned out to be a little bit of conformation bias but enjoyable nonetheless. I would come on here to keep my head up and still do.

I'm living in Mexico and one of the positive aspects is how there is the beginnings of an understanding of what Scotland, Britain, England, the UK, actually means. i.e. that it's not actually the same thing. The referendum got a surprising amount of coverage here from a media not much fixated on Europe. My colleagues all asked my opinion on the referendum and are all scratching their heads at the No vote. They are genuinely confused at how a country could vote No. So am I.

I do expect to come back one day, as long as I feel comfortable about finding work, but the vote has put that on the back burner unfortunately.

I would've been tempted with a Yes. Do my bit etc. Can't see me moving back for a while now although I may move back to Europe at some point just to be closer to family.

I'm in the oil/gas game. We had 3 Scots on this rig in the last month, all Yes, but none with a vote. We're not all selfish twats.

None of the Aussies here can believe we didn't go for it. A lot of them did assume that a No was the default position though due to the media here reporting it that way. Some people were genuinely surprised that I was in favour of a Yes when I talked to them about it. Not that they didn't think it was a good idea, but just because of how it was being spun. I've persuaded a few to take a more critical line on how their media reports news, which is a good thing. Like myself before this referendum most people just tend to suck it up. The Aussie PM has also made sure I'll never vote for him or his party. He should definitely be on the cuddly bunny rabbit list.

What are the criteria for being able to vote in WM and Holyrood elections back home? I just moved here last year, do I still qualify?

You can apply to vote as an overseas citizen. Think you can be away up to 15 years and still vote

Moving back next year after nine years in London and one in China. Desperately wanted to move back to an independent Scotland but the result hasn't put me off. The scum in George Square stuff has put my girlfriend off a bit - she's never lived in Scotland and struggles to get her round that guff. The correct reaction. London started to do my head in after about seven years and living in a city of 25 million in China should make me appreciate a quieter life in Scotland. Will join the SNP when I get back.

Slightly less likely to move back in next few years due to NO vote. It would have been exciting to be at the birth of a new independent Scotland. Felt very deflated last Friday. First time ever I felt the Scottish cringe, not that I believed then or now that Scotland was too wee, too poor, too stupid to govern itself but rather that 55% of its people subscribed to that belief.

Despite the fact that I said that I wouldn't listen to these f*ckers again, I turned on 5Live in the car this morning to pick up the beginning of the Ryder Cup.

Straight away there was an interview with 'defence expert', Sir Blahblahblah, who explained in these plummy tones just why Britain was such a military power and why we need to be the world police etc etc.

It was simply a re-run of the last 15 years, and it was enormously depressing. We had the chance last Friday morning to be looking at a blank sheet of paper where we could all begin to write our future.....instead Scotland has now been shoved right to the background and we're once again in the hands of a Westminster government who will continue to make the same mistakes and drive the country into the ground one way or another.

As I said, enormously depressing.

My Mum is looking to move back next year. I fully expected a mini rush of folk moving back after a YES vote, pushing up house prices, so in that respect something positive has come from a NO vote, but so far that's the only thing I can come up with!

Slightly less likely to move back in next few years due to NO vote. It would have been exciting to be at the birth of a new independent Scotland. Felt very deflated last Friday. First time ever I felt the Scottish cringe, not that I believed then or now that Scotland was too wee, too poor, too stupid to govern itself but rather that 55% of its people subscribed to that belief.

Yep. First time in my 49 years I've been embarrassed at being Scottish. (And for my home city/shire)

I could have just come straight back down the road on Friday morning, however luckily common sense did prevail.

My Dad (And Mum I suspect) voted NO, which is his right, it still wasn't easily digested by me though.

I accept that 55% of the population won't feel this way, I'm only pointing out that I do and that I can't speak for everyone else.

Even a week after I still feel physically sick at the thought of the vote. Sad perhaps, but there you go......

Possibly also living in the part of the UK that the UK is actually run for might influence too I guess?

Yeah no doubt. A lot of people living outside of Scotland for work reasons actually see this is the reason why Scotland should not be independent. Me I am the exact opposite, the constant exodus of our best and brightest is a sure sign our country needs her independence. Theirs is a self fulfilling prophecy.

Like I say how many expat No's are coming back because of the No?

How many expat Yes's would have?

One was an exhilarating and hugely exciting prospect the other is flat and deeply drab...I let you work out which is which.

I was called a chicken shit from a 'borough' of chicken shits yesterday.

When I explained that Scotland is a country, I was promptly told we are a small borough in North England.

Remained calm and said that's a load of crap, you ( Northerners ) are run by the same shower from London and the response of " you had your chance to break away and shit it " promptly put me back to square 1 :(